1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autel Maxi AP200 - go buy this

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mr_guy_mann, May 1, 2022.

1. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have been fixing cars for 32 years. All that time I have been using various scantools and have seen quite a few changes as technology continues "better - faster - cheaper". At one point I had a PC based aftermarket scantool. It was decent as far as function and coverage, but the setup and UI was a bit clunky. When the company developed a version for PDA (and later pocket PC), I thought "great- a scantool that could fit in my pocket!". The reality was that both function and coverage were not very good in comparison- and development stopped as the PDA/pPC fad passed.

So I continued using "normal" PC, handheld, and tablet based scantools. When I got my 06 Corolla, I found a basic scan app and adapter to check basic codes and data - kept it in the glovebox. Now I have a 06 Prius, and well, I HAD to step up my scantool game as there is more to keep track of on an old hybrid.

I never quite forgot the desire to "have it all" in a pocket sized format. So I got a number of apps and wrote about them. (they're like Pokemon- gotta collect them all!). And well, a couple apps were neat and did some stuff, but overall most did very little, and/or took some fiddling to do anything.

That was until another forum member had a post that included a screen capture- "is that freeze frame?"

I went and bought the Autel Maxi AP200. OHH. EMM. GOODNESS. I am in loooove.

I have used Autel's Maxisys tablet for years- it is a great tool that has outstanding coverage and function for the price (data recording and management kinda stinks, but ehh).
    This is a diagnostic app that uses a proprietary OBD2 Bluetooth adapter. Download and install the app. You have to create an account with Autel and register the adapter (Vehicle Communication Interface - VCI).
    After that you can get 1 free car brand to download (I got Toyota- duhh!). Download and install several more "modules" (Diag- Asia, EOBD - generic OBD, Demo, and Toyota). You can buy access to additional brands if you want.

Plug in the VCI to the OBD2 port. The app has a VCI manger that will try to scan and connect to the VCI adapter - but it doesn't work at all. I had to manually go into settings on my android phone and pair just like any other adapter.

Start the app and go to Diagnostics- Toyota. You can have it read the VIN, you pick a couple option details, and then scan the car. YES, it will scan ALL systems on a Gen2- and return yes/no for codes on each of the 16 ecu's. Select any given ecu and you can read codes, freeze frame data - WITH INF sub CODES!! Some codes have diagnostic information attached (with a little "i" near it)- code setting criteria and possible causes.

dtc tip.jpg HC codes.jpg inf.jpg system scan1.jpg system scan2.jpg

I repeated my test (unplugged a ignition coil, Right Front wheel speed sensor, the HV battery fan, and battery safety plug) just like when I did my app review, and the Autel picked up the P0352, P3000, P0A0D, P0A84, C0200, B1421 (I didn't see the C1259 or C1310- but I didn't run a Techstream scan today).

You can also look a live data for all of the ecu's- not just ECM, hybrid, ABS, HV battery- but TPMS (pressures, temps, and ID codes!), A/C system, SRS and OCS- everything. This capability surpasses ANY other app by far in the DIY arena. While almost any screen can be saved as a pdf file, I don't see any datalogging option. (the only thing I didn't see- ECM has 1 frame in freeze frame data, Techstream shows 5 frames for the code event).

There is a Service option from the main menu. This has "hot function" adaptations and resets that are common across all makes (most don't apply to Prius)- things like electric parking brake retraction, resetting throttle or coding new fuel injectors. It does have options to write new TPMS ID's and also perform brake bleed procedures. I do not know if either of these actually work.

I do not see any other bidirectional controls or configuration options like in eTchstream. So this app has most of the codes and data function that is in Techstream, but you can keep it in your car.

There are other options- that PC scantool company from before now has a version for iphone / android which (likely) has most all the bidirectional functions as well as codes and data- but it it has a $500+ price for just the basic tool and the Toyota option (full kit is closer to $2k with tax and all).

For $60-70 plus your smartphone, this can't be beat.

#1 mr_guy_mann, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two