1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto always turn AC on when heating? How to disable it

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hj630, Dec 8, 2016.

1. hj630

hj630 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    I have searched this topic and majority people says its because of dehumidification. But as a PhD in mechanical engineer specialized in HVAC, I say it is the dumbest design ever. First of all, you don't need use AC to dehumidify in winter, the outside air is so dry that you can just bring them in and heat them up. It is much more energy efficient and sane than to use AC to dry.
    In common sense, nobody will need to dehumidify your house in winter, you need to humidify it because the air is dry in winter. If you like science, it is simply a psychometric. \

The design is dumb because
    1. compressor is not supposed to run at below 40F
    2. The outside air is so dry that even if you turn on the compressor, it will not dehumidify it

My ford fusion hybrid never turn AC on when outside air is cooler than the cabin temperature, which makes much more sense.
    I wonder if there is way to do that with prius.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, just quit using auto if you do not want the car to make the best decisions it can. Auto just means the car makes the choices, I override auto a lot. Mostly about which vents to use.

Sooner Al likes this.
  3. hj630

hj630 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    I wonder if I can still use auto but don't enable AC automatically. Again, I don't think in any condition will AC turn on when outside air is below 40F. It just wont do any dehumidication because dew point temp is lower than the evaporative temp on the compressor. The reason I like to use Auto is because when you start the car, the engine is cool so auto wont bring the fan up to blow cold air until the engine is warm enough to heat the air.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Press the AC button to turn it off. AUTO will stay lit and still work. This will not work if you're on the foot and windscreen setting because of what you already explained is stupid. In winter, I set AUTO to go to foot only and no AC.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You're basing your thinking on the mistaken assumption that the compressor is running at all if its not needed. The light only indicates that its ready to run if needed. Some later models changed that behavior and turn the light off too, but the performance is the same. Use auto or don't, but don't make that choice based on the thinking that the compressor runs at all.
    And as stated, you can still turn the A/C off and remain in auto mode. It will stay that way till you press auto again.

RCO and kenoarto like this.
  6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You do need it for defrost operations especially down south where the cold air often is humid initially and you need to see now, not later.

kenoarto likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do what @mmmodem does, mostly. You do want to run AC occasionally tho, to keep it's oil circulating, lubing seals. Using heat/defog mode will likely use some AC on the sly, as he mentions.

kenoarto likes this.
  8. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    hj630, The compressor is enabled when using heat to dry the air in the cabin, preventing frosting... especially when there'e more than 1 person in the car. When mine comes on, I make note of the outside air temp and if its above 50F, I manually turn the compressor off. The AUTO function still regulates the cabin air temp quite fine.

9. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have never seen the usefulness of the Auto setting. You can set the temperature manually along with the fan speed and leave it there all winter. If you need defrost, push the button, knowing that the a/c compressor might run. It is variable speed, and not a huge energy user in defrost. Auto lets the car decide, which I do not care to do. In the Gen3's, you cannot disable the a/c when in defrost, and the a/c light does not come on. It may be different in Gen4.

10. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    My ford f150 pickup runs the compressor when defrost is turned on. Don't most ?

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Chill.

Just because the light is ON doesn't necessarily mean that the compressor is running.
    Seems to me like a real Engineer would know that.

If it makes you feel better, take your finger and push the button to turn it OFF when you think it is not needed.
    But the car actually knows when it's not needed........and in general it doesn't run when it shouldn't.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On our third gen, monitoring with scangauge, if the AC light is on, the compressor IS running, off-and-on. I guess barring below zero temps where the computer will shut it down.

I was a draftsman, then a checker, lol.

13. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yup, it IS running but the duty cyle\cle is low, meaning it is off much more than it is on. Still not a significant draw on the traction battery.

14. RXZOOMM

RXZOOMM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did anyone answer the question "how to disable the a/c compressor"?
    I need to "disable" compressor running in the winter.
    I get it... But my wife doesn't and I can't get her to turn off the A/C button in cold weather.
    Yes, the challenges are great here.
    The fuse under the hood is blocked with the engine cooling fans. Can't remove that.
    Inside A/C fuse controls other stuff so I can't pull that one.
    May have to unplug at the compressor...
    Any other ideas? Is there a relay that I haven't located that would do the trick?
    Thanks!

15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yea the air in winter up north is dry but when people get in with snow you bring the humidity into the car with you.

The more people the more humidity, that's why your floor mats are wet.

RXZOOMM likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @RXZOOMM Disabling the AC compressor might put her in danger: there are some weather conditions where AC is pretty much the only thing that'll clear the windshield fog. I would just persevere about when to use it.

RXZOOMM likes this.
  17. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You are making something out of nothing. The system is operating exactly as it is designed, leave it alone. The compressor itself is only running for a very small fraction of the time the light is on.

RXZOOMM likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Monitoring AC Watts with scan gauge I found that fraction was around 1/2, at various levels. But it's a moot point, I would never disable it, just a bit more education about when and how to use.

RXZOOMM likes this.
  19. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Can turn that off in settings on the Prius C. Check your settings and see if the same option is available to you. Worth at try at least.

RXZOOMM likes this.
  20. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You "need" to do no such thing.
    Even though it's "ON" it shouldn't actually do much most of the time.
    But it NEEDS to be available for defrosting and dehumidification..........and even battery cooling in some conditions.

REALLY BAD IDEA.

(And it might be an even WORSE idea to keep pestering your wife about it.) :eek:

RXZOOMM and JimboPalmer like this.