1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Armor....Rip-off?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mark1154, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When my wife bought her 2008 Prius the salesman talked her into a $344 cost for applying Auto Armor to the upholstered seats. He told her that they would give her a solution to take care of normal spills and stains and if those could not get the stains out the warranty would pay for the repair or replacement. We took her car into a Maryland Dealer's Service Center for 60K mile service and told them about the Auto Armor warranty we had and stated that the seats needed to be cleaned in order to remove the stains. They gave us some story that we would have to pay $150 to have the seats professionally cleaned and if that didn't work the warranty would take over. This sounds like a rip-off to me...how about you???

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The ripoff really occured when the salesman got you to pay for the original application of Auto Armor. You could have bought a can of Scotch Guard and got the same protection for a lot less money.

3. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Correct. A good friend of mine owned a chain of furiture stores They sold fabric protection as well. He explained that it does help protect the fabric - about as well as Scotchguard - but that what you're really buying is insurance.

4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, but the answer is yes - typically all of these sorts of things are rip-offs. Are you able to bring it back to the dealership that sold her the fabric treatment? Have you looked over the paperwork that would have come with the treatment - the $150 may be the deductible.