1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-dimming mirror modification idea.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by VFerdman, Oct 24, 2017.

1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I may be in minority here, but I am pretty annoyed at my auto-dimming rear view mirror functionality on my Gen 2. I prefer the dimming to be constant when I want it. I don't like it to dim and undim as I drive through various traffic and lighting patterns. Call me old school, but I really like the old mechanical rear view mirrors with a slightly less reflective coating at a different angle and a mechanical switch that changed the angles between the two settings. That works great and changing that to a complex electronic/optical solution, IMO, is one of those things we do just 'cause we can, not because it's better. I understand that if tuned perfectly to the user, the auto-dimming mirror may be great, but how many people are alike in how they like it to operate? For me, the hysteresis of the system is all wrong. I find that the mirror does not dim quickly enough and goes out of dim too fast. I get irritated by the headlights from the back of me a lot with this system. It's not totally useless, but it is way less effective (for me) than a regular old mechanical dual layer setup (and so much more complicated!). My ideal situation would be for the mirror to dim when I tell it to and stay dimmed until I tell it to undim. I am totally okay with fully dimmed mirror in the dark. I can still see most of what I need to see in it. And when there is a car that suddenly appears I am not blinded by its lights until such time as the auto-dimming system decides to do its job.

So, my theoretical solution is this. I would like to replace the light sensor (photo diode, I imagine) of the dimming circuit with an on-off switch or a button to simulate full brightness signal from the sensor all the time. This way the system will just keep the mirror dimmed. When I switch that off it can either go back to being automatic or just be un-dimmed at all times.

I wonder if anyone has done that? Looked inside the auto-dimming circuitry? Am I the only weirdo that is bothered by how it works?

I really like the garage door opening feature of the mirror or I would just swap it out for a conventional mirror.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree, i prefer manual mirror. i wish they would put the garage door switch in the overhead console, like my wife hycam.

VFerdman likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting idea. I HATED the auto dimming mirror in my gen 2.

bisco and VFerdman like this.
  4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I am not sure why manufacturers even go there. It's not like the conventional mirror that has been working great for over 50 years is in need of improvement. I hate when technology is used just because and not for a good reason. I am very much a techie and an engineer, but also of the mind that the best solution is always the simplest.

I guess I need to find a used mirror to play with as I really don't want to mess with mine for experiments. I can totally see the technical solution that should, in theory be very simple. I would need to figure out the circuitry of the light sensor and replace it with a switch that basically simulates the condition under which the mirror will fully (or partially using a potetiometer to adjust) dim. Right now there is a photo diode sending signals to the "brain" of the dimming circuit. I want to replace the photo-diode with a switch or a knob to adjust the dimming level. That way I can just leave it in that position until I decide to undim it. I find it very presumptuous on the part of Toyota to know when I want the mirror dimmed and how much.

5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I covered the light sensor on the front of the mirror on the theory that street lights and oncoming headlights were confusing it. It might have helped a little, but it never did dim enough.

VFerdman likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sensitive to light, and find that the monochromatic mirror does not dim as well as the manual.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It can dim almost to the same level as the manual, but almost never does because someone at Toyota decided what you like. That's my main problem with the whole thing. It's a stupid use of a lot of technology to solve a problem that has been successfully solved decades ago and does not need improvement.

If you manage to get it to dim (and stay dimmed) to the max, you be okay with it, but good luck with that. I would have changed it out for the conventional mirror, but I would miss the homelink. Really like that. So I am going to try to rig something up to manually dim the electric mirror to my liking. I think it's probably not super complicated, but I may be wrong.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like home link too. beats the remote on the visor.

9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh the tribulations of living in a first world country! I just feel blessed to finally have a garage and not have to be parked outside in the rain, mud, thieves, and salty air of a little island. :D Remote on a visor is a huge upgrade for me. (y)

But that auto (not)-dimming mirror is a huge pain and a potential safety issue. I'll eagerly await your results, @VFerdman, and will file them away in case I get saddled with an automatic mirror again someday.

srellim234 and bisco like this.
  10. ih8spm

ih8spm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's an idea for those who want homelink. Just get a visor off ebay with it or pull one off a car at a junk yard and use a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter to power it. You can remove thr homelink from the visor and place it in a plastic box or just use lots of tape to make a box. While your at it remove the factory homelink mirror and replace with standard. If anyone's interested I have a homelink mirror from a Prius available. Hope I didn't thread jack.

SM-G935P ?

11. SorelyNauwhat

SorelyNauwhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old thread. I rolled my original 09' which was totaled and I'm currently in the process of searching for another gen2.
    If you can find the light blue protective covering for plexiglass / lexan. Place that over the light sensor. It worked wonders for me.

VFerdman likes this.