1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

auto dimming rear view mirror

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by syscon, Oct 30, 2012.

1. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How to check if "auto dimming" rear view mirror works?

My rear window is slightly tinted but I did not notice if that "auto dimming" feature works at all.
    I see no difference when I turn the auto dimming light On or Off.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It will provide a light green tint at night when someone is behind you their high beams on. It is variable in it's effect. One way to verify at night while driving is to wait until you see the inside of your car around the windshield light up from the high beams behind you. Then turn off the mirror. The mirror will turn much brighter and whiter over a few seconds. You can then see more details behind you with the headlights clearly brighter. The transition is not instantaneous, it takes 5 or 10 seconds. Sometimes you can see it transition in bright daylight by blocking the front light sensor while it is on. On means the green led is on.

3. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Another way is to simply put your thumb over the sensor for 10 or 15 seconds.

I've noticed that when I open the garage door in the morning (garage dark, outside behind the car very light) the mirror will be green-tinted until the forward sensor sees the light and turns the dimming off.