1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto door lock when in gear??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stargazerwa, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Stargazerwa

Stargazerwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We bought this great little 2007 a couple of years ago for my daughter's graduation gift. With the help of this forum I serviced it and it has proven to to be a super reliable car. I rode with her today and noticed that the doors do not automatically lock after being placed drive our after a couple of minutes on the road. Is this right? I can't find anything in the manual and I have never seen a car with electric locks that doesn't do this including three other toyo we own.

Thanks for the help

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Automatic locking usually is an aftermarket alarm function. If your car has a Karr alarm from Toyota, then it would do that automatically

3. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On G3 it is a settable option: lock when put in D or when going above 5MPH.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This feature is Uncommon until the mid-'00s and even now, many do not have it.

WARNING: If your vehicle has an "autolock" feature, before enabling it, make SURE you can open the doors with them locked from the inside or you could be TRAPPED in the vehicle with the doors locked in the event of an accident.

5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've never understood the auto door lock as a safety feature -- unless your concern is that you'll be carjacked at a stop light. "Locking" doesn't add a second means of securing the door closed, it simply disables the handles.

valde3 and dolj like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no "automatic door locks" function for Gen 2. It was introduced in the 3rd generation (2010-2015 model year) with the ability to customise the lock and unlock function (speed vs. shifting out of Park).

Automatic door locking function is a feature on higher end Toyota models (up to about the early 2010s).

So Corolla, Yaris/Echo and RAV4 didn't have these functions. It was introduced in the Corolla LE model for the midlife update in 2005 and expanded to the S and XRS models in 2011's midlife update. Yaris still doesn't have this function. I can't remember if the RAV4 gained this function.

7. Stargazerwa

Stargazerwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the replies, I am amazed it would seem like a simple think to build into such a sophisticated car. Our 2000 Avalon has this feature and I just took it for granted that all cars didn't have them now!

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough.

Yeah the Gen 2 was missing a few things. The other is a height adjustable driver's seat (which was available in other countries) and telescoping steering wheel (which I suppose was a new-ish feature in 2004). It did make up for it with bluetooth and SKS.