1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

auto door locks when leaving car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by k.s.c, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Habiru

Habiru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would love it if my prius had this feature!! It's called passive door locking by some aftermarket car alarm companies & I miss having that feature. I have a ton of add-ons in my car & it's good to know my car locks itself if I forgot to lock it on my own.

2. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wouldn't a timer auto lock feature cause potential issues like if you left your keyfob in your jacket/purse/bag that's also in the car, you'll lock yourself out?

And if the algorithmic logic is based on the the fact that a keyfob is within the wireless range (ie you did leave your keyfob in the car) and the car will now not lock, that would be a serious security concern and you would have no idea that your car is not locked and you wouldn't even realise it because you've just walked off thinking that the car will automatically lock.

I like it the way it is right now.

3. jacquescousteau

jacquescousteau New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol, if it auto locked with the key fob inside the car... would it auto-unlock when you put your hand on the door handle like normal? :D

I fell into this trap yesterday.. I assumed the car would auto lock after x number of minutes and a couple hours later I went to my car to grab something from the backseat and it was unlocked.. luckily it was just in my driveway but I have to build that habit of making sure I touch the door handle when i'm leaving my car.

4. AlaskanPriusV

AlaskanPriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the 2012 Prius V you cannot log your keys in the car if you have the transponder key fob. The vehicle senses the keys are in the car, and if you walk away and attempt to lock the vehicle using the handle touch-pad lock, the vehicle will beep for a long time at you and not lock.

I've owned the car for about 8 hours now, and haven't figured how to do the auto-lock when walking away from the car feature. Right now I just tap the door handle lock sensor as I close the door and walk away.

5. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    To learn more about ways to take full advantage of this feature, join the discussion on muggers_tutorial.com. :cool:

6. JohnCleary

JohnCleary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How did you silence the chirp?

The BEEP BEEP bugs me every time I lock or unlock the car and sounds especially loud at 4am when I leave for work.

7. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I went to the dealer and told them to silence the chirp. Not turn off the alarm as they did first time. I also have a after market alarm and that uses the horn, I can do that myself which I did. Only the dealer can silence the chirp.

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the Viper System and it auto locks after 20 seconds. If I leave either the keyfob in the car it will lock the doors after 20 seconds. I can still unlock the car with my cell phone using Smart Start from anywhere in the world. The wife can also unlock the car from anywhere in the world using her phone. It is close to impossible to have a situation where if the fob was locked in the car I could not get it open. This has not happen to me yet.

FYI the 2010, 2011, and 2012 have the feature that prevents you from locking the car if the FOB is in the car. The Viper system must disable that feature.