1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-folding mirrors and turn indicators part numbers

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Hammersmith, Jun 24, 2023.

1. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Okay, so I think I've found most of the part numbers needed for both options. Complete conversions seem to be already possible on the lower trims, but not on the fully equipped cars(like mine - grrr). It's the panoramic view option that's giving the most problems.

The turn indicator option isn't going to be horribly expensive or difficult. It's still unknown if the wiring will have to be altered or if it already exists in all Priuses. Probably won't know that until someone actually takes a mirror apart and checks. I'm seeing about $100 in parts so far. Of course that number could balloon if it turns out a different ECU is needed, but I'm doubtful that will be the case. It's more likely that a $100 trip to the dealer will be required to enable the feature using their diagnostic equipment.

Parts list:
    (if there's a price given, it means the part is in the Toyota US system; no price means it was in the Toyota Europe system but not US; as always, listed prices are MSRP, but you can easily find them for over 30% off)
    Code:
    $ 37.01   81730-47030   Lamp Assy, Side Turn Signal, RH
    $ 37.01   81740-47020   Lamp Assy, Side Turn Signal, LH

$         8791B-47790   Cover, Outer Mirror, RH No.3, with PVM
    $ 39.88   8791B-47760   Cover, Outer Mirror, RH No.3

$         8794B-47770   Cover, Outer Mirror, LH No.3, with PVM
    $ 39.88   8794B-47740   Cover, Outer Mirror, RH No.3

The auto-folding mirrors are far, far more expensive to do a true OEM conversion. Looking like $750 or more in parts so far. There're only three part numbers to get, as the mirror base assembly is considered a non-reusable part. The reason is the wiring harness. Because of the way the wiring harness goes through the motorized retractor, it can't be removed without destroying it. When it's assembled, they run the wire through first, then put the wire terminals on. And that makes each mirror base assembly different because they need different connector sets for the different options in the mirrors.

But the single most expensive part is the switch assembly in the driver's door. To do a complete OEM install, that entire switch assembly needs to be swapped for one that has the buttons to fold and extend the mirrors; you can't just add the little rocker switch to your existing panel(at least you can't to my limited knowledge). This might be a case where sourcing the part from a junked vehicle might save a bunch of money. The part is already in the system, so it must be in one or more Toyota vehicles already. I'm pretty sure I saw it in a Crown. Maybe others. Anyway, parts list below.

Code:
    $590.82   84040-47190   Master Switch Assy, Multiplex Network

$         87946-47700   Retractor, Outer Mirror, RH, with PVM
    $         87946-47710   Retractor, Outer Mirror, RH, with BSM
    $250.37   87946-47720   Retractor, Outer Mirror, RH

$         87966-47680   Retractor, Outer Mirror, LH, with PVM
    $         87966-47690   Retractor, Outer Mirror, LH, with BSM
    $250.37   87966-47700   Retractor, Outer Mirror, LH

PVM=Panoramic View Monitor; BSM=Blind Spot Monitoring

I'll add to this thread as I find out more. BTW, the Toyota Europe tech site is about 100x better than the US version.

Buschfeuer, otatrant, theRob and 2 others like this.
  2. Mksky

Mksky Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the Info and parts number. I hate Toyota taking off some equipment that another country has. At least gave us options to option it out.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Eh, I can understand it though. They add cost to the car, they aren't any cheaper when they break, and the USA has the biggest parking spaces in the world.

...That doesn't mean I haven't found some substandard parking situations where I would have appreciated them.

@Hammersmith thanks for sharing the parts list!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Parking spacing is certainly the big feature but I also like the power-fold-on-lock feature in our Sienna as a great visual reminder to me (and others).

Trying to upgrade a lower spec model usually means spending more than getting the optimal model trim/options one wants in the first place but the current supply chain issues have made this an even tougher proposition. Also see: much lower or no real warranty on aftermarket sources. Another issue: possible hidden changes in wiring harnesses/connectors. Lower trim Sienna owners (LE, XLE) have been resorting to sourcing options they want but the results are often disappointing quality (aftermarket) or prohibitively expensive (OEM).

5. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    If @lohikaarme has a good experience with Impex Japan and doesn't end up with ruinous shipping costs, I'm going to take some chances with the parts for the auto-folding mirror upgrade.

Going off of US domestic prices for the parts, the conversion costs would be something like:

Turn signal lights:
    $157.10 US MSRP
    $108.64 Lewis Toyota
    $ 56.52 Impex Japan

Auto-folding mirrors:
    $1116.68 US MSRP
    $ 772.06 Lewis Toyota
    $ 258.45 Impex Japan

The part number for the Japanese auto-folding mirror components are different than the USDM parts, but their appearance doesn't seem to be any different. For a $500+ price difference, I think I'm willing to take a chance that the parts are interchangeable or modifiable.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Folding mirrors? A solution in search of a problem. About the ONLY time I feel the need to fold mirrors is on a ferry, and hey, grip-and-push works just fine, much less failure prone compared to auto-folds that do it every blessed time.

daisy555 and HacksawMark like this.
  7. CeruleanBlue

CeruleanBlue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Folding mirrors are a tremendous plus for for two-car garage usage. I'm disappointed my $39.6k OTD Limited lacks this feature, which I had on my Kia Optima.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was thinking of this thread yesterday:

IMG_1913.jpeg

and even on a ferry, there was enough elbow room I didn’t bother. Walking our dog around the car decks we did need to “limbo” by a few truck mirrors; I suspect some of those would be a pain to realign if they were folded?

9. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    If you have the Panoramic View option on the Limited, the side cameras are on the bottom or the side mirrors. So, make sure that any replacement also has them or a provision for them.

10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yep. That's what's made things difficult for me. The parts for cars with PVM(like mine) aren't even in the US parts system. I just now ordered the Japanese variants for cars with PVM. It's a bit of a risk, but I'm hoping it'll work out with maybe a little persuasion(maybe some re-pinning of connectors).

Actually, I was able to get the all the correct parts for the turn signal upgrade. It's the auto-folding mirror upgrade that might take a little work.

otatrant and theRob like this.
  11. Mksky

Mksky Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Alessandro_Ibi and otatrant like this.
  12. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Note to others who might try this type of project: you might run into issues with customs. Exterior lighting is governed by the DOT. Possibly mirrors too. Customs is having me file a HS7 form. I got the message from FedEx late enough in the day that I haven't received a response to my reply asking for more info. I've got the form mostly filled out and ready to send, but I'm not sure the level of detail I need to go into.

My advice would be to order the actual turn signal lamps from Toyota USA. They're the same ones that are on the Crown and they aren't that expensive compared to Japan pricing. I just included them in my Impex order because they're small and didn't really add any cost to the shipping. Without them, customs might not have flagged my order for the extra paperwork.

otatrant likes this.
  13. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    First install attempt(4hrs) = complete failure.

It appears the North American side mirror chassis(for lack of a better term) does not have the mounting points for the turn indicator. Also, the wiring harness that comes with the JDM mirror retractor uses a different connector than the US version.

Looks like I'm going to have to research and order some additional parts. I'm in too deep to stop now.

Positive note: The JDM window switch control with the mirror retractor buttons(>$500 cheaper than the US counterpart) seems to work just fine. Only issue is the front windows are flipped, but that's easy enough to fix with a quick repinning.

otatrant likes this.
  14. otatrant

otatrant Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    By chance do you have a picture?

I have been spending a lot of time looking into Toyota OEM housings. As far as the Park Assist harnesses I think I found their source for some key parts (TE Connectivity). So if it is a housing you are looking for and you cant find it you want to look on their site.

Sumitomo too has a lot of housings that seem to be used extensively on the Prius.

15. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'm making some progress on that front. The Toyota part number for the female connector(which comes with the mirror parts) is 5L041-8119A and it's actually TE Connectivity part number 1717109-1. What I need is the male connector. I'm getting close to figuring it out using TE's website and Digikey. I'm thinking 1379678-1 is the one I need, but I'm trying to double-check before ordering.

otatrant likes this.
  16. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I ended up with 1473796-1. I'll find out later this week if they're correct. Wish Digikey had them in stock as their HQ is only 125 miles away from me.

otatrant likes this.
  17. garen2001

garen2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I'd been holding off posting anything until I was finished, but the whole thing has taken way, way longer than I expected. The reason is a combination of mistakes/assumptions on my part, very long shipping times, and cold weather up here. At the moment, I'd say I'm about 50% completed. The mirrors are finished and installed, but I haven't added the needed wiring to the door harnesses yet. I'm waiting on a few more parts from China(the little terminal ends), and then some nice weather to work outside.

First, a pic:
    20231212_142951.png

The mirrors have the turn signals and retractors installed, but they're currently non-functional until I add some wiring. I also had my second set of mirror covers sprayed to match the body. I'm very happy with how they turned out. I'm waiting on a set of red mirror covers from a Crown just to see if they fit(they weren't that expensive). If they end up fitting, I'll let you guys know so at least owners of red Priuses can have a quick and cheap swap(red is the only color in common between the Crown and Prius).

Big note: The parts list in my first post is garbage. Almost nothing in it is correct. I assumed the mirror body was the same between USA/Canada and the rest of the world. It's not. It's possible you might be able to add the retractor motors, but there is no way to mount the turn signals to a USA/Canada mirror body. The solution is to just order the whole mirror. They run between around $150 to $600 each depending on options. The $600 version includes the camera and IR light for the 360 camera system(PVM). If you don't have PVM, I'd suggest just buying the correct mirror and be done with it. If you have PVM, you might want to do what I did and try to find the cheapest mirror and swapping the parts over.

I was going to type up a bunch more, but my carpal tunnel is flaring up and the ibuprofen hasn't kicked in yet. If people are interested, I'll type up a more detailed list later of exactly what I've done and what parts I've used.

19. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Okay, this is probably going to read like a dissertation, and I don't even know if anyone's interested, but I'll start breaking it down. It will probably take at least a couple posts. It doesn't seem like it should be this complicated, but there are actually a lot of little places you can go wrong, and I've done most of them. Hopefully I can keep someone else from making the same mistakes.

First off, let's look at the two basic parts of the mirrors: the base support and the headlight pod.

The base support is the fixed portion of the mirror that bolts onto the door and holds the headlight pod. The important thing to note is that the support is specific to left-hand drive(LHD) or right-hand drive(RHD). A base support from a RHD car will put the mirror at the wrong angle on a LHD car. (Ask me how I know. lol) The good part is that it's easy to swap bases/pods.

The headlight pods come in two varieties: USA/Canada and the rest of the world(USA vs. World for the rest of this discussion). The only real difference between them are the mounting points for the turn signals. World has them, USA does not. (Also World has retracting motors, but we'll get into that later.)

You can't buy either of these two parts separately; they only come as a complete mirror. At the moment, the only World mirrors that are "easily" available are the Japanese version, which are RHD. Eventually, we should be able to order the Mexican version fairly easily, which will be World pods on LHD supports, however these are currently unavailable for order. (Ask me how I know. lol) Besides much shorter shipping times, the advantage of the Mexican Prius mirror option will be that you'll end up with a complete used mirror which could be resold on eBay or something if you wanted. Going with the Japanese version like mine leaves you with an unusable combination of old parts.

Next part: Options and wiring

Alessandro_Ibi, Agent337 and otatrant like this.
  20. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Now let's get into all the options on Prius mirrors. There are a total of 8 options. The only place to get all options at delivery is Japan. Here they all are:

1. Power mirrors (standard in all markets)
    2. Heated mirrors (standard in USA/Canada, Europe, South Korea; optional in Japan; unknown in Mexico)
    3. Blind Spot Monitor lights (standard in USA/Canada; optional in some markets - don't know exactly which ones)
    4. Turn Signal Indicators (standard everywhere but USA/Canada; unavailable in USA/Canada)
    5. Power Retracting Mirrors (standard everywhere but USA/Canada; unavailable in USA/Canada)
    6. Panoramic View Monitor camera + IR lamp (optional in Japan, S Korea, USA/Canada, Europe)
    7. Reverse-Linked passenger mirror (optional in Japan - very high chance this option only works on RHD)
    8. Hydrophobic Mirror Glass (optional in Japan)

Now for the beginning of the wiring. The mirrors will have between one and three wiring harnesses coming out of them. Options 1-5 and part of 6 are all combined into the main harness. The PVM camera has its own harness. And option 7 is a dealer-installed option, so it has a harness of its own. Each combination of 1-7 has a different harness, so there are a ton of possibilities. By my count, there are 15 different versions of each mirror(LH vs RH) between USA, Europe, and Japan.

While it's theoretically possible to alter the main harness to add extra options to it, I would generally recommend getting the OEM harness that goes together with the options you want. Making your own harness would involve sourcing some connectors to fit the options you're adding, plus the harness needs to go through some tight spaces. I don't know if it's worth the time or effort in most cases.

Sadly, you can't order the harness on it's own as far as I can tell. The two ways to order it are as part of the complete mirror assembly or with the mirror retractor motors.

My recommendations:

1. If you don't have PVM, order the correct mirror assembly with options 1-5(about $200 each+S/H), then swap bases with the original ones from your car.
    2. If you have PVM, order the most stripped down mirror assembly you can find($150-$200 each), the retractors that go with options 1-6(to get the correct wiring harness)($90 each), an extra trim panel($10 each), and then transfer the PVM camera, IR lamp, and mirror glass from your existing mirror. You'll end up with several extra parts, but you should be able to do the job for around $550+S/H instead of $850+S/H(both sides). Those cameras are really expensive.

I'll give part numbers at the very end.