1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

auto head light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Princedunet, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Princedunet

Princedunet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    Hi guys,
    I have probleme with the headlight in my prius gen3 2012 without navigator, the headlight never switch off in day light when I put it in Auto. Just It turned off when i switch it myself. What is the prob ?

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It u have a gen3 without Nav then u most likely have the gen3 Prii 2 (package 2) which doesn't have auto headlights. Ur headlight stalk would have the following starting from the bottom: off / DRL / park light / headlight. This is how all Prii 2 & 3 were for the gem3 body

The "Auto" feature was only available on the Prii 4 & 5. The stalk is as follows: off / Auto / park light / headlight. The Prii 5 has an additional switch towards the inside of the stalk for the fog lights.

iPhone ?

3. Princedunet

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    But I have it writen Auto ? What does it mean ? Off / Daylight / HeadLight / Auto

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did u buy new? What region are u in?

iPhone ?

5. Princedunet

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    I baught it brand new, I live in Morocco North Africa , I thaugh same because in some countries like North Europe they made headlight turn on with the engine

6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Humm....during the day have u looked to see if the paring lights are on as well? Do u have the DRL LEDs in the top portion of the turn signals in the bumper cause I know in Japan they don't

iPhone ?

7. Princedunet

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    Yes the parking lights are on, And the indicator of the light in the dashboard is always on even i switch off the light manualy.

#7 Princedunet, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If ur still covered under warranty, I would take it to the dealer & let them figure it out as I'm not sure what options are available in ur region per Prii package. They are probably different that in the US.

I will tell u that since u bought new & the stalk has the word "Auto", the lights should turn off during the day.

If u had bought used I would assume that the previous owner tried putting in Auto lights but swapping the stalk (this can be done on the 10-11 Gen3).

iPhone ?

9. Princedunet

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    the previous owner baught it also from the original owner, he baught it like that. So there is 2 posibilities, maybe he baught it new with this option or there is a prob, in both cases what could be the solution ?

10. Princedunet

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    Im still having this issue and I didnt check a dealer because the region where I live it doesnt exist and I cant move to another city because of my work

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Auto just means it goes on and off with the car.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The auto headlight sensor is a small, round object on the upper surface of the dash, far forward under the windshield. (On US cars it is on the passenger side; I don't know whether Moroccan cars are left or right drive.) The sensor is always present (even on cars without the auto headlight option, it is used to adjust A/C and heat depending on intensity of sunlight).

An obvious thing to check would be: has something been thrown on top of the dash, covering the sensor? That would lead to the lights being on all the time.

Otherwise, the sensor could be bad, though I've not heard of that. It's a simple, solid-state sensor. It is difficult to access for testing: the upper dash needs to be removed; you can find the procedure by searching this forum for the thread about the auto headlight modification (for cars not originally equipped).

Perhaps your car was modified? If it did not have auto originally, the modification requires adding wire from that sensor to the body ECU. The proper metal terminal for the ECU connector does not have a published part number, which has led people to various creative ways of making that connection. In that case, the connection could be faulty.

-Chap

13. Princedunet

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for you reply, but I think the sensor is working well, because the light of the panel of the dashboard is increasing and decreasing depends of the outside light, when its sunny the light is so hight and in night the light is down, that why I thaugh the sensor is working fine