1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto headlights on function.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MagnusAG99, Jun 10, 2017.

1. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello, i`ve heard some Prius can turn on and off the headlights by itself when its day and night, mine cant, i got a Norwegian 2011 Prius premium. Only thing it can do is to allow the fog lights to come automatically on when its night (which unfortunately inst legal in Norway), is it some sort of way i can trick the car to turn on fog lights and parking lights at day, then turn on the headlights and turn off fog lights at night?

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO, not a practical way.

And I would be REALLY surprised if the fog lights were really "automatic" via a light sensor.

If the fog light switch is left ON, they will "automatically" come on when you turn the headlights on.

3. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

in the Norwegian priuses if u take the handle up to auto and leave the fog lights in "on" they refuse to turn on at day, only at night ;) which is kinda funny since fog lights is illegal to use at night in Norway. And headlights and fog lights is illegal to use together as long as u drive above 20KM/h.

but if it was possible to reverse that auto thingy it would be great.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Checking my old brochures, I see that U.S.-market Prii did not have Auto-On in 2010, and I'm unaware of any meaningful changes for 2011. Auto-On appeared with the 2012 makeover, becoming standard on the Four and Five trims.

But this is also one of those things that is different in other regional markets, so is unlikely to help answer your question for a European version.

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On my US 2010, I enabled that last October by completing the wire run from the existing dash solar sensor to the terminal on the Body ECU that is meant to connect to it, where the wire is omitted from the harness in cars that don't have the option. (In my car, the wire is omitted from two harnesses: the one built into the upper dash, from the sensor to the big upper-dash multipole connector over the glove box, and also in the main instrument panel harness, that wire is omitted from that connector to the Body ECU. In some later Gen 3s, people have found one of those wire sections is present and they just have to complete the other; those folks are able to do the mod without taking the upper dash off. Lucky them.)

I was far from the first to travel that road; I was post #301 on the 16-page thread. The main elements of the solution were posted by BrettS in post #181 of that same thread, back in early 2011.

One obstacle is: Toyota sells repair terminals for most connectors in their harnesses, so you can add a terminal to a multipole connector in a position where one was left out. But the small signal connectors that plug into the Body ECU, those terminals don't have a part number or supply for repairs. They're tiny little devils. I fabricated two using wire-wrap wire around a 0.7 mm round form, which gives them good contact on the ECU's square pins, and they stay in the connector housing like they ought to.

I used a headlight stalk from a 2009 Lexus, which looks stock, but has the extra AUTO position for the lights.

-Chap

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  6. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it says in my instruction manual that its two options, auto on all the time, or auto on at night. But then the question is... will the parking lights turn on when headlights turn off... (bottom sentence), i guess i just need to ask toyota. i was gonna ask them to turn on the beeping when the car locks and unlocks anyways.[​IMG]