1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Headlights & Wipers Wish

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by bilofsky, Dec 8, 2012.

1. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    16 states, including California, require headlights to be on when wipers are in operation.

Too bad the Auto headlight position doesn't take care of that. I'd rather leave it in Auto permanently.

It could be a programmable option so it could be turned on in states with that law.

ryogajyc likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Since I never* turn my headlights off, I am legal!

*But every dealer service I have to turn them on again, my mechanic is compulsive.

3. Johnny C

Johnny C Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The PIP Base does NOT have a "Auto" function (unlike my Rav4 Limited). Does the Advanced PIP have this function?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, the Advanced has an auto function. But if it is still bright enough outside, even when the wipers are on the headlights will not turn on especially if you have the sensitivity set high for them to come one.

I had a 1999 or 2000 300M (I forget the Model Year already) that turned the headlights on once the wipers were put on. This should be standard nowadays with states requiring them on IMO.

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My windshield washer will activate the headlight washers if the lights are on. Most people I talk to hate it.

I wonder how well received this feature you mentioned will be?

6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a hard time understanding how my 1998 Corolla has auto headlights and no car I've owned since has that function. I know some people don't like it. On the Camry, there is a toggle for auto on/off. It's an everyday occurrence that someone drives without lights on next to me on the road at night.

7. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    there are no auto headlights in the base pip. the following positions are on the selector stalk: off, DRL (default), parking, headlights.
    right, on the camry, the DRL position is the "auto on" while the Off position is the "always off".

8. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have not owned a car without auto headlights since 1986 when my Aerostar had them. To me, it is like power windows or cruse control . Every once in a while I rent or borrow a car without the feature and I forget to turn them off. I can't imagine a car as well equipped as the Base Pip not having them.

9. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Guessing it could be a patent issue, I remember GM making a big deal of the DRL patent years ago.

10. Johnny C

Johnny C Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does the Advanced PIP have the auto headlights?

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes. They come on with darkness, not when the wipers are used as the OP talked about for the purpose of this thread.

12. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    The Advanced does have LED headlights, so leaving them in the On position all the time doesn't use too much power. They go off automatically 30 seconds after the car is off and the doors closed (customizable to 0, 60 or 90 seconds).

(I wish the cargo compartment light did that too, but it stays on all the time. So I can't leave the hatch open to let my wife know there's more Costco loot to take from the garage to the house, like I could with my old car.)

13. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FYI, the base PHV sold in Canada has auto headlamps.

14. Johnny C

Johnny C Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Canada wins. That should a be standard on all cars.

15. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    p.s. There seems to be no mention of that feature in Toyota Canada marketing materials, but it was included on my '13.

16. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    fwiw, auto-off is standard on the base as well.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wish the auto headlight shut off delay could be user set , didn't require the dealership, special software. The 30 second or 60 second delay just drives me nuts, can't stand it. While our car has auto-headlights (Canadian Touring model, not sure about the other Canadian models), I never use them, don't like the thought of headlights blazing as I walk away from the car.

I saw something from Nissan lately, they have headlights-on-with-wipers, and also: the wipers always return to the park position, even if you abruptly shut off the car with wipers running. I wish for that too.

And...: our last Honda Civic Hybrid had a very nice feature: if you had the wipers on fastest intermittent interval, they went steady low speed as you drove, and reverted to intermittent when you were stopped. I wish for that too.

18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yikes, 27 years we've had this light sensing technology and the ability to mass produce it cheap enough on a non luxury vehicle and it's still not standard on all cars? I mean, we stopped building cars without a passenger side mirrors back in the 90's. It's a safety issue. Is it because auto headlights are always mated to DRL's and Americans hate DRL's? And it's simply cheaper to leave out the system than redesign just the auto headlights bit?

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've noticed a lot of late model cars up here of late, with BC plates, and no lights showing, headlight or DRL. Guess they're bought in the States and then brought up? But seems to me it used to be an imported car had to be retrofitted to comply with local regs. Maybe no more? :rolleyes:

Also, we were in Hawaii a while back, a couple of things struck me:

1. The apparent lack of helmet law for bikers. :eek:

2. American's love of driving further and further into the deepening dusk, without lights of any kind.

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  20. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Stateside vehicles have a DRL-off position on the switch. It probably did not need any retrofitting since the DRL is already present, it is the driver that needs some retrofitting.

This brings up an interesting point. According to my manual, the 2012 Prii in the States come with LED DRLs on the bumper, with an off option. The Canadian models come with de-powered high beams w/o an off switch. Does the Canadian regulation deems the LEDs inadequate?