1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto Headlights ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Xaran, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Xaran

Xaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 "V" and it is my understanding that this model was the top of the line for 2010. On my headlight switch I have 3 positions - off-parking - on. My car also has the light sensor in the top right side of the dash board to determine daylight. If I leave the headlight switch "on" the lights turn off automatically a minute or so after the car is shut down and the lights turn on automatically when I press the start button.

My question is should the lights also turn them selfs off during daylight driving when the switch is in the "on" position. I have noticed that the lights are always on when the car is on. If this is correct what is the use for the light sensor on the top of the dash?

2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Search on the Gen III modification thread for automatic headlights. There's an extensive thread on this. The vehicle is capable of auto headlights but it wasn't enabled in the US for some reason, probably cost. In your case, you'll find a connector behind the upper glove box with a missing pin that is part of the setup. I had to remove the entire upper dashboard to rewire the sensor connector. I think the best feature of enabling this is the dashboard lighting changes with outside lighting conditions.

The mod requires running wires inside the dash to a connector on the left lower area of the interior and either using a separate switch or buying the Canadian version of the turn signal stalk that enables auto headlights.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And remember, beside rewiring the entire dash, folks would not see you as well during the daylight.

4. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The mod results in both manual and auto headlights. The original manual mode is retained, particularly if one does what I did with the Canadian turn signal stalk.

5. Xaran

Xaran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the info.

I think Im just going to get the dealer programmable setting changed to turn off lights immediately with power off and live with no auto off only, at least that way the battery wont be discharged.

Its funny how the level of tech is so different from car to car. Ive had auto headlamps fo 10 years in my other cars but not this one, and then so many other things on the prius are superior to my previous cars, radar cruise, bluetooth etc

6. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are a number of features that show up on other Toyota vehicles that don't show up on the 2010 Prius, and there are features on the Prius that don't show up on any other Toyota model. I believe Toyota set a price point for the US version that forced some "standard" features to be omitted that appear on Prii in Canada & Europe.

If you're familiar with wiring and working on cars, you can do the mod yourself - there are pretty complete instructions in the thread I described earlier.

7. r3dl4b3l

r3dl4b3l Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Are you referring to this thread?

Automatic Headlights | PriusChat

8. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, it's a friggin' novel. Starts out with the OP discussing installing an aftermarket auto headlight module & sensor, then the community discovers that the car IS ALREADY set up for auto headlights but not wired. People with later Gen III's and level V versions discover that there's a connector right behind the upper glovebox to access the sensor signal, otherwise one has to remove the whole upper dash and add a pin to the existing sensor connector. Then there are discussions about how to turn the auto headlight feature on and off. Lots of detail, I'm in there a few times. Read the whole thing and develop your strategy. For the headlight stalk change-out, the thread about JDM steering wheels has some good instructions about getting the steering wheel off.

9. r3dl4b3l

r3dl4b3l Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes it is a lot of information. I'm reading through it now. Haven't decided on whether to change the stalk out, I just want the auto dim function when driving in the rain.

10. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd recommend changing the stalk. Much cleaner implementation.