1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto High Beam Dead

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prodigyplace, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This morning I was driving with my auto high beams turned on. I manually turned off the high beams for an approaching car and the high beams would not turn back on. I noticed the auto high beam switch on the dash was still lit. I pressed the switch and the high beams now work but the auto high beams will not activate.

Now, high beams work. If you try to turn on auto high without the high beams on, you get an error, as expected. With the high beams on, when you press the switch, the high beam light n the dash goes out but turns back on when the auto high switch is released. The auto high light on the dash or switch never illuminate.

I was hoping this might be some fuse but the owners manual does not have any detail on which fuse does what.

Perhaps @Elektroingenieur or some other expert could slip me a few troubleshooting hints?

Many thanks.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    • Windscreen clean (in front of the Forward Recognition Camera, and Automatic Light Control Sensor)?
    • Are the wipers parked in the right spot?
    • Is the Headlight control wand on AUTO(might work on Head too?)?
    • Were you going fast enough - it doesn't work at low speeds?
    • I assume you were going forward only :rolleyes:

upload_2019-1-8_16-8-26.png

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The headlights are always controlled by the main body ECU, and if the high and low beams work when turned on manually, it’s unlikely to be a problem with the main body ECU outputs (HRLY and DIM) or a fuse or relay. There aren’t any fuses dedicated to the automatic high beam system, just those that power the headlights, main body ECU, and forward recognition camera, which if blown would cause other symptoms or warning lights.

I never use the automatic high beam feature myself, so I don’t know if the switch is supposed to be momentary or latching, and neither the Repair Manual nor the Owner’s Manual says for sure. If the switch is supposed to latch (press once to close, press again to open), perhaps it has failed and now works only in a momentary mode (press to close, release to open). This could explain the behavior you describe: the main body ECU detects that you’ve pressed the switch—which also tells us that the wiring to the switch is good—but then when you release the switch, the main body ECU disables the feature, as though you’d pressed the switch a second time.

What happens if you press and hold the automatic high beam switch?

With a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, you could also check the Body Electrical > Main Body > Data List display. This would show the condition of the automatic high beam switch and the other headlight switches, as detected by the main body ECU, and also the automatic high beam system status (Auto H Beam STS0):

Undetec: Undetected
    CAM NA: Camera detection malfunction
    No sens: No detection
    Hlight: Oncoming vehicles with headlights on
    Taillgt: Preceding vehicles with taillights on
    Speed: Vehicle speed
    Daytime: Daytime state
    Village: Urban area
    Malfunc: System delay​

Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. Fester

Fester Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I usually don't have the occasion to drive at nite, but have found the auto high beams work very well. The only problem I've had is in the auto-high beam button... I had to notch the seat back a bit so that my knee didn't keep turning it off:)

5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did more testing this morning when dark. IT almost acts like a latching relay is not latching. When driving (forward ;D) at over 20 mph, when dark, pushing the momentary switch with high beams on lights both dash & button lights momentarily. I tried the same test in a situation where the lights would be dimmed. While pressing the button, the high beams were off.

@Elektroingenieur does there look like a latching relay in the circuit? The dash button is a momentary switch with an LED indicator.

Thanks for the details.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You’re most welcome.
    I think you’ve found the problem.

There isn’t a latching relay; on my car, the switch itself has a mechanical latch: a first push closes the switch, which also turns on a green LED on the switch and latches it into a noticeably recessed position, and a second push opens the switch, turns off the LED, and returns the switch to its usual position.

If the switch on your car is behaving like a momentary switch and won’t stay closed, then the latching mechanism has failed, and the switch assembly should be replaced. Toyota calls it the No. 2 Combination Switch Assembly, and for models on which the left button is blank, the catalog says the part number is 84010-47250. (See item ⑦ in image 6 of Figure 84-01, Switch & Relay & Computer.)

I imagine this would be a warranty repair; if not, the surround (the Instrument Panel Finish Panel Garnish Assembly, to its friends) just unsnaps, and the two claws that hold the switch assembly in place can be disengaged with a screwdriver.

dacoobob and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Warranty expired last October :( Could somebody verify that the switch is indeed latching? Here is a photo to be clear on the location.

@alanclarkeau needs to flip it left-to-right & then upside-down :D

IMG_0672.JPG

8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not exactly the same issue, but I and a few others in this thread, Automatic High Beams Not Functioning? | PriusChat experienced Auto High Beam spontaneously canceling while in operation momentarily for a minute or so and during that time, the high beam itself becomes unavailable unless you manually switch off the Auto High Beam switch under the dash to the left of the driver. Read comment #18 Automatic High Beams Not Functioning? | PriusChat in the thread for a detailed description of the event.

I have taken this issue up with my dealer during my last routine maintenance. They found no error code. There was no service bulletin from Toyota about Auto High Beam. And since it was during the daylight they could not reproduce the problem, thus did nothing about it. I then escalated the issue to Toyota Headquarters. They were pretty quick in getting back to me after leaving a message via the web page, but the Toyota rep who called me after doing some research said, "It is designed to behave like that, and it is not malfunctioning of the system." Apparently, Toyota programmed the Auto High Beam to cancel at random and disable manual high beam as normal procedure. I have no idea why. I no longer use Auto High Beam.

#8 Salamander_King, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That happened to me is that I had auto-high on but manually switch to low beams. The high beams would not come back on but the auto-high switch was lit even with high beams off. I turned off auto-high and then high beams work but auto-high does not work without holding in the switch.

Does your auto-high dash switch toggle or is it momentary? It looks like this could be $75 - $100 just for the part, :(

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The situations in the above-mentioned thread, while driving with the Automatic High Beam operating, the Automatic High Beam indicator in MID (on the right side of dash, #3 in the pic) and the high beam indicator on left side of dash turns off momentarily (#1 in the pic below). Automatic High Beam Switch under the dash in the left of driver stays ON (#2 BLUE ARROW).

Sequence of event is exactly as described by @liquidtenmillion.
    auto high beam.png

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The auto high beams only work for me when I hold the Step 2 switch in Light 3 lights then too. When I release, the auto function turns off and lights 2 & 3 go off.

On your car, is Switch 2 latching (press on / press off) or momentary? ( just springs back to the original position)?

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On my car, the Automatic High Beam Switch (#2) is functioning normally, that is press on stays on until press off to stays off. Yeah, your's sound like physical damage to the switch itself.

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The switch physically stays depressed slightly? The Prime & Liftback are likely the same.

If so, it sounds like I need a $100 switch to fix. I think I saw it for $75 somewhere but that is still highway robbery just outside of warranty.

14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That, I don't know for sure. My car is not near me right now. I have to check it later. Sorry.

15. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah.... bony knee caps, ugh.

16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AutoHi.jpg

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, I just confirmed on my PRIME. When Auto High Beam switch is pressed to ON, the light is on and the switch physically stays depressed slightly. $100 for a simple toggle switch, what a racket.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's spare parts for you. I would imagine that it's a rarely ordered part, and cost of parts distribution add up for something like that.

You might get one from a wrecking yard?

dacoobob likes this.
  19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My switch works fine, but I don't use Auto High Beam for the reason stated in #8. I can sell mine to @Prodigyplace for half of the retail price! :D

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you very much. I think I will just live with it until I have time later this year to pull out the switch and inspect to see if it is repairable.