1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto High beams with the touring or the ATP folks

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robsnyder20, Jul 31, 2016.

1. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question for the technical folks, has anyone noticed auto high beams are coming on too often. When driving down the road, they will almost work and come on way too often. If anyone has tips on how to reduce this light sensitivity, that would be very helpful. I searched and cannot find anyone else that had this issue and thanks in advance

ETP likes this.
  2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I NEVER use the Auto High Beams because I'm scared I'll forget they're on and it might stop switching to low beams and I always drive on a freeway. I might start using them since you reminded me about them. I've tried them about 3 times for 2 minutes each on a dark road going up a hill. When a car comes, it switches to low beams INSTANTLY. This is one of the most amazing features on my car mainly because it works so well and can recognize a car in a couple milliseconds.

In my opinion, they work really well, although I haven't used them much.

kithmo, ETP and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine switched really promptly.

ETP likes this.
  4. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I assume your not talking about the automatic lights, that go from driving light to low beam. But the automatic high beams, that switch on and off. I found it works well on country roads where there is sporadic on coming traffic. One thing, it switches off the high beams about 15 MPH. Sometimes I want them on then.

The automatic lights and delayed off is real nice. One feature I like, the lights stay on when you get out, you can cancel the on time by using the lock button on the fob.

ETP and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Question re. The Auto high beams and auto lights and DRL's on the ATP package cars...

I do know that for the Auto high beams to work the button has to be pressed and the high beam stalk has to be pressed forward...

But,

Question is am I supposed to keep the stalk set to auto or twist it all the way forward like I am manually turning the lights on at night and would I just leave it in that position? I tried both ways at night and they both work the same and shut off when I lock the car.

I am also wondering about the DRL's? Are they one and the same with the normal lights since there is no dedicated DRL setting on the stalk like the older Gen's, also the tail light do not light up when the stalk is set to auto during the day and I really want them on at all times for visability purposes... Plus they look cool :). I guess a solution is to leave the stalk twisted all the way forward that way all lights will always be on??

Thanks..

'LectroFuel, alanclarkeau and ETP like this.
  6. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes and in the rain there is an issue. I think the sensors keep the HBs from clicking off soon enough in the rain. When it is clear no issue. However I would like to adjust this if possible but it seems there are conflicting values to make this work right.

Enough damage for one day time for coffee.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep it set to auto headlights with the auto high beams. For keeping the taillights on, maybe keep the headlights turned on. I wouldn't do that though (Waste of power and the taillights look like they're expensive to replace, just like the curved back window of the Prius Prime).

ETP and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  8. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I leave my headlights set to auto with the high beams on auto. Seems to work fine for me. The HBs come on more often than I would personally use them. But it's not a bad thing. They seem to respond adequately to other cars being in the road, to, for me. I don't worry about my tail lights. The DRLs are the headlights on low.

9. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Thanks, and I see what your saying.

The tails are led's though so I would assume an extremely long lifetime and I don't think burn out would be an issue? Plus would the pull of the LED's affect mpg's? I would think very minimal if any such as the DRL's?

I've just always though and read that driving with your lights on (and I assume the same can be said for tail lights) during the day lets you be seen 33% better than driving with out....not sure how accurate but seems pretty valid...

I saw a Hypersonic Red Gen 4 pass me the other day on I95 during my morning commute home and the first thing I noticed were those bright LED tail lights. That's how I got interested in this and is what spurred my original question... If having those bright Z Tails lit up prevents someone from plowing into me from behind then that would be a win in my books.

Thanks all.

Edit: in reference to the Auto high beams, I personally think they work very well and are quick to shut on and off. The only time I got flashed at was a backroad with a tighter turn and it took an extra second to shut off, plus it was a slight incline which might explain the behavior.

ETP likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe both work but I've always used the AUTO setting on the headlight stalk.

As for DRLs, they're the low beam LED headlights at reduced intensity. If you're in an underground garage or somewhere dark, you can see that if you switch between "headlight on" (all the way forward) and "parking lights" (btwn AUTO and headlight on the stalk).

11. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Understood. Thank you much.

I guess we've established that for headlights and tail lights to be on at all times the stalk has to be turned all the way forward. If left on AUTO the DRL's are on when it is not dark enough to have both front and rear lights on but they do all automatically come on when it gets dark enough. Makes sense.

Does anyone else see my point though about the benefits of having the bright Z tail lights on at all times? Does anyone else run them on at all times?

'LectroFuel and ETP like this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's correct.

A taxi had them on during the day in bright sunshine and it was almost indiscernible. So I would leave it off in that scenario. They're more visible if it's cloudy/overcast or raining or during twilight.

ETP likes this.
  13. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That's makes sense!

And yeah in my situation I commute during dusk and dawn working nights so sometimes it's in between the sensitivity for auto where I would want my tails on in which case I guess I could flick the stalk forward or as stated if it's overcast or sprinkling... No biggie.

:)

ETP and Tideland Prius like this.
  14. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I would like for my rear "Z" tail lights to be on, at all times. Too bad they don't have a brighter "day mode."
    And I also wish they were wired into the brake lights.

ETP likes this.
  15. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hadn't had AUTO HIGH BEAM on the motorway till yesterday, and I noticed it didn't detect that a car was in front of me all the time - was a bit hit and miss, so I turned it off again.

ETP likes this.
  16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With mine (Australia):
    First Position DRL ONLY.JPG Only DRLs come on (front only) - they are low on the bumper
    20160815_130211.jpg
    Second Position Auto.JPG Auto headlights - come on when dark. (DRLs OFF, parking/side lights on)
    20160815_130358.jpg
    Third Position parking lights.JPG Parking Lights (Side Lights in some countries) - DULL front lamps HIGH UP in the headlight come on, along with TAIL LIGHTS and number plate lights.(DRLs OFF)
    20160815_130328.jpg
    Fourth Position Headlights.JPG Headlights come on, along with tail/number plate lights.(DRLs OFF)

So, if you want them, rear "Z" lights are on with parking/side lights and headlights.

This other photo is the FOG Lights - which will work with either Parking Lights or AUTO or Headlights (though for real FOG, they're hopeless with the headlights on - no idea why they have that option?). They're not the best FOG lights I've used - nothing like some VOLVOs I've owned.
    20160815_130303.jpg

#16 alanclarkeau, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    KrPtNk, Tideland Prius and ETP like this.
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In keeping with learning about regional differences,

In North America, the DRL is the headlights as reduced intensity. I'm guessing the 3 vertical lights (called Clearance Lights here) aren't bright enough or have a wide enough coverage?

3rd position: In North America, front parking lights have to be amber by law. Base models (Two/Two Eco) do not have that chevron LED bit. The orange reflector is illuminated.

upload_2016-8-14_21-21-0.png

Source: @jettlash1000's video

Or if you have a Three or higher, it'll look like yours with the LED chevron plus the amber side bulb above.

WRT to foglights, North American law requires the headlights to be on with the foglights, rendering them essentially useless. Factory foglights here are basically cosmetic items unless you somehow rig them so that they can come on with the parking lights.

Coast Cruiser, ETP and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, the 3 vertical clearance lights come on with our parking lights and headlights. I noticed they're off in yours.

ETP and alanclarkeau like this.
  19. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice pictures guys. That makes a clear picture of what is on and off.

20. mariposer

mariposer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Where is the button for auto dimming highbeams on my three touring model (2017)?