1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-light sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JohanNL, Sep 20, 2017.

1. JohanNL

JohanNL New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all,

I'm wondering if anybody here knows if i can mount a auto-light switch on my 2009 Prius (wich doens't have that from factory) and if that would be the only part i need to get it to work?

Since there already is a light-sensor on the dash for the illumination i tought it might work..

Kind regards,

Johan

Bluegrassman likes this.
  2. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. Yes, you can. Is it the only part needed - it depends on what trim level do you have and what country was the car made for.
    As far as I read here, the US cars need extra wiring. Mine had everything, but the cheapest headlight switch I found was around €100, so I did it with hidden switch under the dashboard. Take a look here: DRLs and automatic lights | PriusChat

JohanNL and Tideland Prius like this.
  3. JohanNL

JohanNL New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your Reply!

I already saw that topic, but since i do have the dashboard illumination i assume i already have the wire..
    It is simple to check the connectors/wiring on availability?

4. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The US version cars also have the automatic dashboard illumination, but most of them does not have the wiring.

It's a very simple check indeed. Look at the connector to the headlights stalk and if the white wire is there (check my topic), short it to ground and check if the light sensor will switch on the headlights when it's covered.

JohanNL likes this.
  5. JohanNL

JohanNL New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll come back to this later this week, will check it out! :)

6. JohanNL

JohanNL New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Today i've tested it, just put a piece of wire from the Pos.19 to ground and it worked!

I will make a nice switch somewhere under the dashboard to switch it on/off, thanks for helping me out!