1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto-lock after shutdown module NO LONGER available

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by naterprius, Mar 14, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have discontinued availability of this module due to lack of interest.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I (and maybe somebody else) will need a quick summary of the installation instructions.

Plugs I can handle, tapping wires I've done before on other things, but anything odd and I may have to think a lot about getting it...

(Finding my car left unlocked several times in the last few weeks makes me a prime but not guaranteed customer...)

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Auto-lock after shutdown module now available!

Mike, I'm developing the installation instructions tonight.

Here's a quick summary:

Note: All wires are directly in front of you in plain view on the side of the connector facing you. If you are having trouble reaching the wire, that is the WRONG wire. If it seems difficult to acces, it's the wrong wire; double check the photos for clarification.

1. Open driver's door.
    2. Pull up front of trim panel on bottom of door jam. (No tools required).
    3. Pull off driver's kick panel. (No tools required).
    4. Locate the RED wire in the corner of the BLUE connector directly facing you. (See photo). Using pliers, crimp a BLUE crimp connector (included) onto this wire.
    5. Plug the Red wire from the module into the crimp connector on the RED wire.
    6. (Repeat for the other three wires) (Nate's note: I'll complete this part of the instructions tonight after I take photos, but you get the idea).
    7. Use zip tie (included) to locate module in a position that won't rattle. (See photo).
    8. Replace kick panel by snapping in place as shown.
    9. Replace lower door jam panel be snapping in place. (As shown).

That's it.

Mike, it sounds like you might be a 255 seconds customer; that is, you could continue to lock the vehicle as normal but add the module as a backup in case you forget. There will be no problems with this.

Nate

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I get home, I'll probably place the order. I think the standard locking times will probably do, since the majority of times I forget seem to be when I just dive out of the car without having to stop to retrieve something.

Clarification: if I'm slow enough to allow the doors to auto-lock after stopping, then I open the hatch and close it again, I'm on my own as far as locking it again?...

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Yes, the module uses "key-on" as the determination to auto-lock. If the "auto-lock" occurs while the hatch is open, then the car will remain locked.

I could hook up the module to lock after a delay anytime the driver's door is detected to be unlocked... this would mean the car is kept in the locked state all the time; it would be impossible to keep the car unlocked. Perhaps this is what you would prefer?

Nate

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, I can think of times that I'm not the one driving the car (was in for service Saturday for example) and wouldn't want to have it lock when they leave the fob on the dash and walk away. That seemed to be what they were doing rather than plug it into the slot when they realized it was a SS/SE fob. The metal key stays on my keyring, and would be useless anyway unless they separated it before closing the doors.

I just wanted to know what I needed to watch out for...

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Sounds good Mike! Let me know if you are ready to order. Please alert your dealership that the car auto-locks; any dealership worth their salt rolls the window down first thing in case the car is equipped with an auto-lock or auto-arming feature.

Also note that dealerships that accidentally lock the keys in the car can retrieve the key code from their computer using the VIN and cut a full-size mechanical key to get in.

Simply leaving the fob in the slot won't prevent locking if the doors are closed. After all, you may be sitting in the car, trying to lock the doors! If the hood is up, arming will be delayed until it is closed.

Nate

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So.. car is on.. leave.. close the door.. come back.. and you could have it locked.. even with the key out of the car?

my scenario is this.. i deliver for a ..temporary living.. i leave my car on a lot.. and walk away. i would like it to lock. when i get back and.. possibly touch the door or press the unlock button on my fob to get back in.

i have the SS/SE system

9. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

V8, the only time the car will lock if it is on is 15 seconds (or whatever you want) after powering up. If you start the car, jump out, and shut the door, yes, it will lock.

The other trigger is powering down and opening the door.

I could build you a module to do what you described, but I don't think the SE/SS system will let you back in if the car is on!

Perhaps you should consider getting my module but turning the car on and off at deliveries. My module will handle all of your locking needs, so you won't have to mess with the button.

Delivering a package? Just get the hatch opened within 30 seconds (or whatever you would like me to program) and the car will still lock with the hatch open, then arm the alarm after closing.

SE/SS will be ready for you when you get back. The cycle will repeat without problems.

Nate

10. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... hmm.. turning the car off is not an option. Burns up my time and kills my mpg sometimes.. and other times.. what i deliver would fry because the back of the car heats up quick. www.cookiesbydesign.com if these melt.. i'm out a lot of money. :( i don't care if the car locks me out. i still have a key in my pocket. *shrug*

As is, i'm tempted to run a tube to the back of the car for cooling. it would be removable.. but would connect to a dash vent. this way the very back of the car can stay cooler than the front.

When i get my new job.. i won't have to worry about these cookies anymore.

11. jonm

jonm New Member

Once you guys get yours installed will you report on them? I am very interested but would prefer a few guinea pigs first before I spend the money on it. :D

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

V8, I am willing to build you a custom module that detects door open while the car is on, then locks the doors a few seconds later. The thing is, the only way back into the car is with the mechanical key. The SE/SS doesn't seem to work, and the remote doesn't work either.

Would you still be interested in buying a module knowing you need to use the mechanical key?

Nate

13. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sure.. mechanical key isn't a problem. could you install a switch so i could turn off the second stage door lock if i get tired of it for some reason?

hmm... what if i want to open the hatch.. open door.. unlock and open hatch?

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I need to find a good switch that fits in by the SKS cancel switch. It would either be on or off for the entire module.

As far as the hatch goes, I can set the delay long enough for you to get out, open the hatch, and then if the doors lock, you can close the hatch and all will be locked. You let me know how long that is.

Nate

15. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'll have to time myself. i'll get back to you.

16. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"72477)</div>
    I'd definitely be interested in this module once you have a cutoff switch that looks good and fits next to the SKS (probably far right, to avoid confusing them).

Pots for adjusting timing would be really cool, if possible.

17. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"72477)</div>
    Did you ever look into / figure out a good ON/OFF switch for your mod?

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

No, I never found a switch. I certainly searched a lot, though. This whole thing is really becoming time consuming for thus far zero sales.

I think I'm going to stop offering these because it's too much trouble.

Also, the whole thing really only works right with the two-module solution, which has driven up the cost for potential buyers.

Now I know how Coastal Dave must feel. (My sympathies, Dave!)

I've heard the saying that with any engineering project, you can have it good, fast, and cheap. Pick any two.

I'd say two out of three is a pretty good accomplishment.

I started out thinking, hey, I LOVE this mod, I should share this. Now, I kind of feel like my mods are worth documenting, but the effort required to go commercial is too high for such a venture.

So, it was initially fast and cheap, but not that good. Now, it's fast and good, but not that cheap. So, I had been focusing on coming up with a solution that was good and cheap, but it wasn't going to be fast (a long time out). That has ground to a halt, so I have to give up. I've probably got 40 man hours and $400 invested and there seems to be no hope of recouping any of this.

Thanks to those of you who supported me when (I thought) I had a fast, good, cheap solution.

So, I'm "unannouncing" the availability of this mod because there just isn't enough interest to get it off the ground. Perhaps Toyota will add these features to 2006 Prius models and people can trade in for one.

Nate

19. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"98800)</div>
    Nate,

Would you consider posting the schematics and hookup info so that others may build it if they wish?

20. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tom, there just isn't enough interest in this mod. I think what people want is Toyota to address these issues themselves, and to include FOB detection, speed-based or "in gear" locking, smart key on the rear doors, and a valet switch to turn off the auto-lock.

I offered timer lock at startup, timer/trigger unlock after shutdown, and timer lock after shutdown, and there wasn't any real interest. Everyone seems to say, "Nice start, but it needs to do more and cost less." I'm not going to be able to pull this off anytime soon.

I will continue to enjoy my "hands free" SKS but everyone else will have to wait (or go buy an Avalon; it addresses the rear door and lock/ unlock issues).

I think the module's construction and hookups are no secret: Four wires: power, ground, trigger (= powered while key on), action (=simulate a key turn by shorting "key lock" wire to ground).

For the other module, it's five wires: power, ground, trigger (= powered while key on), action 1 (=simulate pressing "lock" by shorting to ground), action 2 (=simulate pressing "unlock" by shorting wire to ground).

Nate