1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto mode for heat & A/C question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 4rpr15, Oct 1, 2015.

1. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'll try it out the next few days. Sounds like I just gotta set it on Auto and forget it.

MotoG3 ?

2. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One other thing, when you have the AC on say 72 and its 90 out. It may show that it is in RECIRCULATION, but the truth be known it really isn't. For a short period, usually five minutes or so, the AC unit goes to FRESH to help rid the interior of excessive heat. If you listen closely, you can hear the Fresh/Recirculate door close. You don't have to open the windows, this is a very smart system indeed.

WilDavis and 4rpr15 like this.
  3. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hope that helps you out. JTM

4rpr15 likes this.
  4. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yep, thanks! I'll try it out the next few days and keep an eye on it...

MotoG3 ?

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    4r,

Hopefully this post will clear up any confusion. One thing that has not been mentioned so far is that when you select "auto" the A/C defaults to being on.

This is what I suggest. If you have problems with the windows fogging up when you are using the heat, then let the A/C run. Most of the time you will find that you will need to let the A/C compressor run in the background when you are using the heat. Most of the time when the system calls for heat the mode will default to fresh air coming in (no recirculate) if you are using "auto". On the other hand if the system calls for cool or cold air then the mode will default to recirculate. It is all controlled by the computer and will vary depending on what temperature you have the system set for and the temperature in the cabin. You may also see at times when using A/C and "auto" that the recirculate mode will be on fresh air. That generally occurs if the cabin and the outside ambient temp is about the same, usually at night.

That is what the auto is all about. It is automated so the cabin always keep the temperature you set it at regardless of how hot or cold it is on any given day.

Depending on your climate and your personal preferences, there may be times when you can turn off the heat and or the air and drive with the windows down. When doing so at speeds at or below 45 or so you can generally get better MPG. It boils down to creature comfort and keeping the traction battery temp cool.

For more information, I suggest you consult the owner's manual. Enjoy your new 2015 Prius and best of luck to you!

WilDavis and 4rpr15 like this.
  6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I've noticed the same thing, but think I read somewhere here on PriusChat that it's useful to remember that the hybrid battery is using cabin air for cooling, so it makes sense to let the system decide whether or not to kick in the A/C - (I've been getting an average of 55-65 mpg all through this hot summer!) I used to crack the windows slightly and never use the A/C thinking it would waste more energy, but I've been nice and comfy all through the hot weather!

7. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My mpg's are slightly decreasing now that it's getting cold out.

MotoG3 ?

JTM2955 likes this.
  8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry Ron, I think our posts crossed! :eek:

dorunron likes this.
  9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's all good. The main thing is that 4r understands what is going on. Lot's of info being shared very quickly...

10. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wait until we get "winter gasoline". It will really drop. It has fewer BTU's and a higher flash point, for startability during the winter. It sucks, IMHO. Its made for the regular ICE cars than do need it. I wish we could get summer gas for pur hybrids year round.
    Now some engineers will probably disagree. That's fine, but we all have Atkinson cycle engines in our cars. So do we really need winter gasoline anyway?

WilDavis and dorunron like this.
  11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius is like other vehicles concerning MPG and summer versus winter. The MPG will be lower when it is colder. There are many factors involved, so don't loose faith. Give it time and enjoy your car.

You can look at my fuelly records and see the pattern for last year. Note, I did not drive the Prius much this year, so disregard those readings, but look closely at 2014 and you should see a pattern.

Again, best of luck to you!

Attached Files:

4rpr15 likes this.
  12. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Very true, no matter what we do we will lose mpg's. I am running stock Toyo Proxes A20's on mine. I'm willing to try these tires this winter to see how it drives. I keep getting mixed info on running stock tires year round vs winter tires.

MotoG3 ?

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it sunny? I notice in the Spring if it's near freezing but it's March or April and the sun is strong, the interior heats up and the car knows it's warm inside the car and turns on the A/C (if you're in AUTO w/ the A/C light on) to cool the interior, even though it's near 0°C outside. Could that have been the case?

Ohh, you weren't in AUTO mode? Why not use the feature? :p Set it at the temp you like and let it cycle the MODE and fan speed for you. I do fiddle with the temps a bit because I don't need max cooling or max heating. I tend to bump up the temperature in the summer (near the mid 70s) and bump it down in the winter (closer to 68°F). Besides, the computer will regulate the temp if you're in the car long enough.

That's a little heavy handed and quite the generalisation, isn't it? Recirculation helps warm up the cabin faster because you're heating up recycled air so the air warms up a little bit every time it passes through the heater. In FRESH AIR, the heater is constantly warming up outside air which is considerably colder.

I will suffix the statement and combine it with yours with "Do not use RECIRCULATION during the winter IF your A/C light is off." You need the air conditioner to dehumidify the air and prevent condensation on the inside of the windows.

4rpr15 likes this.
  14. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yep it was sunny. I mainly use Auto Mode otherwise. I feel it's just the best thing to do since it was the designed to provide optimal settings.

MotoG3 ?

15. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most AC systems, when Defrost is selected, go to Fresh air anyway. Why would you want to recirculate stale air anyway? The only times I can think of is when the air outside stinks worse than the inside. RECIRCULATION is fine in summer, not so great in winter.

Just my thoughts on it.

16. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's really, really cold (well below 20 degrees), I'll tend towards leaving it on RECIRC because you can warm inside air faster than constantly trying to warm arctic air from outside.

You do have to watch for condensation and switch to outside air from time to time.

17. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This morning it was 53 and I set the inside temp to 75. Auto Mode had the air blowing on the floor instead of in the main area. I was driving for 10 minutes before I had to park at my destination. If I would driven around longer would the Auto Mode have changed it from air blowing towards the floor to the main area ultimately?

MotoG3 ?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    admittedly, i never use auto. i don't like the way toyota has it programmed. i like to be in 'control'.:whistle:

dorunron and 4rpr15 like this.
  19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Generally in a situation that you just described the heat will come out at the floor until the cabin reaches the temp you set (75) and then the air will shift to the upper areas. However if it is very cold the air may continue to come on the floor. A good example of this happened to myself and my wife when we came back from Colorado last Winter. The night we went over the divide it was a balmy 19 degrees. We had the system set on 76 auto and as I recall the air constantly was coming out of the lower outlet on the floor and did not revert to the upper vents on the dash.

Here in Texas where we live generally once the cabin is warm, the air will shift to the outlets on the dash as well as flow slightly at the lower outlet on the floor. Again a lot of it depends on just how cold it is outside.

Not everyone likes or uses the auto just as bisco illustrated above. It is up to the end user how he or she controls the system. Play with it until you are comfortable with it. There are times when auto is perfect and other times where you might want to override the settings. To override simply change one of the variable settings ie: fan speed, recirc/fresh etc.

WilDavis likes this.
  20. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just assume it best to have the Auto Mode do its thing. What worried me is that it was very cold in the cabin and the floor was getting alot of heat.

MotoG3 ?