1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto start when temps are high

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Unproductive1, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unproductive1

Unproductive1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi guys my first thread starting post here.

I tried searching but couldn't come up with anything exact.

I'm going to be installing an alarm and it has the feature of auto starting the car when the temperature sensor hits a set point (I think the max set is 130F but says it can do 10 deg increments below that). Its a probe that I can place anywhere I want to for checking the temp so it's not using any existing sensor on the car.

Is there any help to the traction battery life if I use this function?...Or will I just be wasting fuel/charge?

Thanks

2. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I assume this is while being parked to keep the interior from getting very hot?
    So, yes it will use/waste fuel and because you are stationary and using the A/C, the battery will cycle a lot. There is not much you can do about it.
    Some of the higher specs Prii have an option to run the A/C for a few minutes to cool down. But you only use that just prior to driving because it only uses the battery and won't work when the battery charge is low.