1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto train safe?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by furtceli, Apr 28, 2014.

1. furtceli

furtceli New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone! Has anyone taken their Prius onto the Auto Train? The staff there will drive your car onto and off the train, and I am just wondering if they know how to operate the Prius or other high tech cars like a Tesla? And the travel time for Auto train is about 17 hours (there is only one route with no stops) and is it safe for the key to be in the car for that long? Please share your experience. Many thanks!!

2. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's an auto train?

The Prius may be high tech, but it's also one of the most common cars on the road. And I wouldn't worry about leaving the key in the car for that long.

Just like any car, I would hope they would set the parking brake to avoid wear on the parking pawl in the transmission.

3. furtceli

furtceli New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Auto train is part of the Amtrak system, it's a route from Orlando, FL to northern Virginia just outside of DC. It's about 17 hours with no stops in between. You car will be in the cargo carts and they will be loaded and unloaded by staff working there. Really nice way to travel and great to have your car there at the destination, just not sure if they understand the operation of a Prius and if the key will still be functional after being inside of the car for so long.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    As long as the car isn't left in the "ready" mode, having the FOB inside should be no problem.
    And you would be on the same train, .......with the "spare" FOB in your possession, right ??

And I don't think that staff competence would be a problem but the best tack there probably would be to ask THEM.