1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autoblog: Chrysler's internal documents question Ram quality as workers protest

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Mar 3, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Chrysler's internal documents question Ram quality as workers protest has a link to Warren labor dispute hurts Ram output | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com.
    Wow! That's bad.

I wish there was video up of a very old piece on Toyota in Georgetown, KY that I saw years ago. Basically, they talked to a plant worker who had worked for one of the Big 3 before. There's an area called reprocess to fix defective cars that have gotten to the end of the line. When Toyota started (based on his experience at one of the Big 3 before), he thought that there'd need to be some huge reprocess area (I wish I remembered the numbers) given Georgetown's output. But, no, that's not Toyota's way.

Due to limited space in Japan, they can't have a reprocess area to hold that many cars and they tend to find and fix problems rather than letting them continue down the line. That practice and only a tiny reprocess area is something also followed in US Toyota plants.

Maybe someone else has seen that piece and can point to the video online somewhere?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sack them all and start again. If they don't want to work, there are plenty out there who do.

If you don't like your job, go and find another one. Simple.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed. These people are idiots.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you really want someone assembling your car in the 10th hour of their shift, especially on the 4th day? A machine can perform the same task with the same efficiency all day. People are cyclical, they can't. This is why overtime isn't productive.

It should be obvious to management whether the workers are exhausted or slacking. If they are slackers then I'll agree to get rid of them. If they are too tired to work then management needs to change the schedule or lower their standards.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can't speak for others, but my crew works 4-10s graveyard including Holidays, I guarantee to much higher standards and we are good. Most of the folks I know wish they could get 4-10s because it gives you a 3-day weekend and adequate breaks as mandated by law and/or the Union as in this case. Anyone who has a position in auto manufacturing, which is not a sweat shop, is lucky to have a full time job to begin with. Then to whine and picket without the backing of the Union...dumb a--es every one. So if the shoe fits...quit, and let some else who needs the money have their position. I'm sure most of the folks working there are doing their jobs with pride, but it only takes a few to screw things up. This unofficial intentional slow down is very bad for job security and makes the whole group look bad.

" UAW members voted to allow Chrysler to adopt alternative work schedules in 2003 "

From The Detroit News:http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130301/AUTO0101/303010342#ixzz2MW8KlwRM

PS - I just heard Detroit is going bankrupt. People get your priorities straight.