1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured AutoExpress: Prius PHV vs. Golf GTE vs. Optima PHEV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 6, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Would "EV-Auto" be the equivalent?

The reason I ask is it seems to smoothly integrate both EV and ICE operation. Understand I prefer being able to choose between the three modes.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ev auto is not the default mode. would the epa still test it?

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't think it works that way because some of the metrics at www.fueleconomy.gov would be impossible without explicitly using at least two of the modes. My expectation is Argonne Labs will have the detailed engineering data needed to understand this car:
    Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles | Argonne National Laboratory

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You still got three modes to choose from in the EU. They are just slightly different for the regulations and market.
    The rules about testing and default modes apply to driving modes; the eco, normal, and pwr.

5. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it would.
    EU specs EV mode is dual motors drive (68 kW max.) same as US specs. I assume the kick-down activation when flooring is first deactivating the one-way clutch then kicking-in the engine. It will give full EV experience like US specs, in all situations but for the extremely rare situation (to me) in which I will strive for the ICE anyways (91 kW combined).
    US EV Auto? I don't know but in my perception it is not a dual motor, meaning it is only 53 kW max. before smoothly integrating both sources and as such, it will not give full EV experience and the ICE will joint much earlier than flooring the pedal.
    @Prius Team promised us over two months ago in another thread that a white paper is coming soon which will clarify the EV Auto operation characteristics but I have never seen it.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be part of the Gen 4 system.

We have the Li-ion battery in our Gen 4. Normally, the engine stays off until the HSI bar is 60-70% filled. With 7 bars, I can accelerate to almost a full HSI bar in EV. The engine didn't kick in until the last 10% of the bar before it hit the PWR section. In the Gen 3, the engine will kick on at the halfway mark and with 7 bars, maybe around the 60% mark.

So the engine-on point is already higher in the regular Prius.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Until we see such a paper, we are just making educated guesses as to what mode has dual motor or not. The power limit in US EV Auto could be done through software, and dual motor is available at lower out puts.

Is the clutch on the ICE shaft one that has to be disengaged? It stops rotation in reverse. That doesn't mean the shaft is locked in forward direction too.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is a rachet mechanism located on the engine side of the flywheel. The rachet lugs are on the flywheel so when the engine runs, centrifugal force keeps them from engaging. When the engine stops, small springs let them engage the racket and prevent reverse rotation of the engine. It is a one-way clutch.

Bob Wilson

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Which means a separate action is not needed for the ICE to spin. The ICE just spinning up disengages the clutch.