1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

automatic ac heater -- feet only?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vthreee, Jan 30, 2014.

1. vthreee

vthreee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought my prius IV brand new in December, and its my first one. One thing i've noticed that's different, but when I have my AC on auto (I've preferred using Auto since my last car..) I notice when its cold out, it only blows to my feet, then eventually maybe after driving for about 45 minutes or so it will eventually switch to feet and air.

is this normal? or any idea why it goes to just feet only for so long?

2. New2Priusv

New2Priusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This is perfectly normal. I have heard a couple of different reasons for this:

1) In winter, when you start up the car, when the fans first startup, you're going to get cold air, and it's generally going to be more tolerable at your feet than in your face.

2) Directing hot air at the floor will warm the cabin faster (in theory) since hot air rises, rather than being blown above first.

You should note that even if you change the direction after pushing 'auto', even if the auto indicator has disappeared, it's still in auto mode with respect to fan speed/temp, but it's just that you are now in charge of the direction of air flow.

vthreee likes this.
  3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    IIRC, if you press the Front Screen Demist button first then Auto I believe it stays on Screen and Feet.
    Mine starts up on screen and feet from cold then reverts to just feet after about 10-15 minutes.