1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic Car Wash?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sweetguy, Apr 3, 2008.

1. sweetguy

sweetguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a new black 2008 and have seen some references to swirls created by automatic car washes. There's a modern auto car wash near me with all new equipment. What's the consensus on whether I risk damage or risk getting the paint damaged? The one time I went there, the attendant removed the antenna and handed it to me before sending me through. Is that necessary? Any other part that could be damaged?

2. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was a new car wash built right near my house several months ago, just in time for the arrival of my 2008 Touring, (wasn't that nice of them). :DIt's a touchless type, and does an amazingly good job. It has several levels of cleaning - and the top of the line even includes a blow-dry. I usually waste a couple mpg's and blow off my own going back home, then use the microfiber mits on each hand and dry what moisture's left. I'd be leary of any of the brush types, especially those that look like they're made out of weed-eater material! ...particularly w/ black. Enjoy!:p

3. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That was nice of the attendant to remove the antenna, good possibility that it might get ripped out. I personnally will not use a touch type automatic car washes. If the car's really dirty I'll put it thru one of them touchless ones. Hand washing is best but I know for some of us that's not possible.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And I'm the opposite of you, I feel that the automatic washes with the brushes do a much nicer job of cleaning your car then the touchless ones. I usually wash mine myself at home though because the price is better, but I feel the car shines brighter and looks better with the dirt scrubbed off rather then sprayed off. Last time I went throught a good touchless I pulled through the dryer part then stopped in the car washes parking lot, the car looked pretty good but I pulled out a micro fiber towel to wipe off the few parts that were still wet and my towel was filthy afterwards.

5. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Stay way from anything with brushes, moving cloths and the like! Touchless are ok, but the ones I've used never seem to do a very good job.
    I use the power washer to get off the grime, then hand wash.

6. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yup sparrow is right, avoid common brush washes like the plaque, especially with BLACK. I should know I own black, and still have some swirl's after hand washes. It comes down to washing technique and grit in the mit..some swirls will always happen on any paint colour, your just going to have to live with the fact that black will show everything possible and could cause stress, especially if your anal about cleaning things. In hindsight i would have bought a silver/white prius now. It's my first black car, it looks gorgerous waxed though, but man is it a PITA to keep it clean. Toyota should move away from the pearl base paints, and go with mettalic flecked style on newer paints. It will still swirl, but wont show up as badly as opposed to the pearl black, and similar pearl paints.

7. fred

fred New Member

ive got a car wash near me that is just like a regular attended one except that i "drive" it through myself. does a great job. has swirling "brushes" doesnt hurt a thing. i dont even take my antenna off although ill probably pay for that laziness. the only thing i make sure i do is to flip the exterior mirrors in. i really like the car wash and have gone there many many times.:):)
    ps i used to have an 04 black prius and ran it through all the time with no damage. i did need to wax it more often since as stated , it does show swirls a lot.

8. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What the Automatic Car Washes don't post is the type of soap that they use to clean your car. The soap is VERY HARSH. Almost a pure degreaser. If you have a wax coat on your car, it is surely washed off by the end of the cleaning cycle. Also, think about this, as if the harsh soap wasn't already enough. The cars that have all gone before you in a Brush type system all had crap and grime all over their cars, right? Well, where did that grime and crap all end up? You guesed it! All over the brushes and mop wrags dragging all over YOUR dirty car!!! In my mind, I liken it to fine grit sand paper. Because that is what the Brush type systems really are. Paint and Clear Coat destoyers. Better of handwashing your baby every 10-14 days. ;)

9. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    rochestor is right, normally the shampoo's these auto washes use is very harsh and strong and will strip most wax/sealents right off after only one or two washes. This is a money maker for alot of car washes as they can charge people for wax jobs(way overpriced). And then have you come back the next week and that nice wax job will be stripped...so the cycle repeats. For people who dont have time to wash weekly or bi weekly, it's understable to use auto washes, but at least try to find a high quality wash place, touchless if you can. They are hard to come by though

10. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to manage a car wash, so I have some insight here.
    Touchless are the safest, obviously. They do an OK job, but if the car's really dirty, you need friction to get it clean. The washes with plastic bristles or that are unattended are terrible. We called them spray and prays. For a quality wash, you need a soft cloth wash from a reputable provider. A reputable car wash A) presprays the cars to remove the bulk and keep that stuff OFF the soft brushes 2) Uses freshly washed towels for each and every car at the drying end 3) and would never allow a rustbucket to pass through. (Since the loose rust will come off and scratch the next few cars).

Other points:
    1) Car wash soap does not remove the wax. the soapy water beads off of it. That's the whole point of wax. Also, they use only as much soap as is needed, those chemicals are EXPENSIVE! It comes in 50 gallon drums and is very harsh at that point, but it is diluted into a bucket that the actual machinery draws from.
    2) Car wash "wax" treatments, underside spray, clearcoat protectant do VERY LITTLE. Just stick with the regular wash.
    3) Remove the antenna. It's just not worth the risk and the wash works better when it doesn't have to work around it. The only other worry is loose trim and moldings.

It's always preferable to handwash yourself. But you can't do that in the winter in most of the country, so carwashes are needed. Here in MN, the wash I ran would do 800+ washes on a good day in the winter, and 100 on a good day in the summer. Pick a reputable wash by observing the cars that exit and make sure no rusty cars enter before you. And always hand wax twice a year in the fall and spring.

11. sweetguy

sweetguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for all the helpful responses. I am finding that the modern (full touch woth octpus things) is not harming the paint so far. No hope of hand washing in Maine for another month. Maine is beautiful but spring stinks.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no hand washing here for almost 2 years due to water restrictions, and it doesn't look like they're going to drop below stage 3 anytime soon. gah.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Living in NYC, I don't have easy access to either a car wash or a hose. So I've been using Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. With Optimum No Rinse, I can get away with using only 2 buckets of water to clean the car. And because of its high polymer content, swirls and the like are minimized.

No Rinse Wash & Shine

14. lesbleus

lesbleus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm new to this site and I thank everyone for posting car wash related items. I bought my 2008 Prius in January. I have yet to bring it to a car wash because the dealer told me it shouldn't go through one since it would harm the hybrid system. Living in Vancouver, B.C. (Canada), washing the car outside by hand is problematic during most of the year. Just so I'm clear, it appears that many Prius owners do use various car washes to clean their vehicles. So I'm good to go?

15. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :eek: You are kidding, right?

I think we need another new thread on "The Things Dealers Say -- Both Lies and Ridiculous Lies".

16. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that is absurd. A car wash is just a rainstorm with soap. My dealer actually told me you can pressure wash the engine itself! (not that anyone needs to do this).

17. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used to have a black Jetta, which got swirls on the paint when I took it to a large car wash place, and so when I traded that in for the 2008 black Prius, I was paranoid about taking it to get cleaned here in Boston. My cars always end up dirty because I go to a lot of parks and on some unpaved roads, so I was worried that the brushes would pick up the dirt and end up scratching the car, etc.

You can go on Yelp.com and try to find who won the best car wash award, or who has the best reviews in your area, and I ended up finding Allston Car Wash (for those of you in the Boston area). They've washed the Prius 3 times now, an $8.95 exterior wash (now wax, no interior, no extras) all times, and it looks fabulous. It does go through an automated stage, but you can walk through and watch (behind glass) your car being washed. It does use a few of those mop like things to wash your car, but I haven't had a problem with scratches yet. Your car is air dried and then towel dried by a team of guys. Looks fabulous at the end. They have a lot of different options you can get, including wax or hand wash or detailing, etc. that I may try out later.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would recommend against this, since it is pretty easy for water that accumulates on the valve cover to enter the spark plug tubes and cause spark plug misfires. Also there are many electrical connectors that might absorb moisture and result in intermittent connections if copious amount of water are sprayed around.

The only hybrid-related concern that I can think of regarding carwashes is with the Classic model that has a battery ventilation vent on the left-side C-pillar. You don't want lots of water to be sprayed into that vent.

With 2G, no worries.

19. lesbleus

lesbleus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I'm not kidding. In fact, after reading through this thread, I called my dealer again and asked if the recommended a particular method of washing the Prius. The service dept. had to put me on hold for 5 minutes before telling me that I should only wash the car by hand. They do not recommend a car wash, especially one that has water coming up from the bottom since it could harm the electrical system. I live in a city, in an apartment, and washing the car by hand is not particularly practical for me!!

20. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't use auto or manual car washes. In a best case scenario, both use very harsh chemicals that will strip the wax from your finish.

Do it yourself, and you know it's done right.

.... Brad