1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic cruise control

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by EV Happy, Oct 15, 2020.

1. EV Happy

EV Happy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK .. so you are on automatic cruise and someone pulls out and the car automatically puts on the breaks...How do you check to see if your brake lights are coming on to warn the guy behind you? :)

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know how to check it yourself since you are inside the car. But don't worry the brake lights are on. If you really want to check, I guess have your friend drive your car and have another friend pull his car in front of your car, while you watch the brake light comes on behind your car may be in your friend's car?

Tips likes this.
  3. W8LV

W8LV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That question is kind of like: How do I know if the refrigerator light goes out when I close the door, Schrödinger's cat, AND driving at 70 mph, all rolled into one... ;-)

The main problem that I notice is the cruise control switch itself: As I recall? If you hold it in, then you just get "regular" cruise control. And you can crawl right up the car in front of you, because radar isn't being used, And there won't be any tail lights other than the ones that you manually activate!

I wish that these functions were on two entirely DIFFERENT switches. Or a better indication on the dash indicating WARNING, MANUAL CRUISE CONTROL ONLY. Or a box with an "X" over the little dashed "waved lines". (Actually, a bit like when in an aircraft reticle, there is an "X" when you don't have a target acquired, and it's unable to get a missile fix.)

Bill

moto g power ?

4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you question is simply “is it designed to turn on the brake lights when DRCC puts on the brakes, as opposed to only when you depress the brake pedal,” then the answer is “yes.” From the 2017 owners’ manual, section 5-5, page 395:

“When a vehicle is detected running ahead of you, the system automatically decelerates your vehicle. When a greater reduction in vehicle speed is necessary, the system applies the brakes (the stop lights will come on at this time).”

(That was harder to find than I expected, BTW!)

If your question is “yeah, I know it’s designed to do so, but how do I check whether its behaving as designed,” then that’s hard to do regardless of who is putting on the brakes. But I at least periodically check the brake lights in the garage.

#4 mr88cet, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Tips and EV Happy like this.