1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic folding side Mirrors prius 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by JULIUS Netherlands, Oct 8, 2009.

1. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's a lot easier than u think.

Did u chk out the vid in the link?

2. GCPExit12

GCPExit12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Holy smokes, you've done it! So basically splice same colors together from custom harness to car harness and the two power folding wires to pins 9 and 10? how does the module communicate with the passenger side mirror? Splice into same pins 9 and 10?

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's pretty easy. Pins 2 - 8 on the OEM connector are the same wires as 2-8 on the controller connector. Pin 1 on the controller harness is empty so that tells u which way the #s go. Pin 9 & 10 on the controller harness go to both folding mirror motors. I still haven't figured out where the red & white go.

4. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When you're saying "controller connector", you're meaning the connector on that custom harness we received that says "to car wire"? If Pins 9 and 10 on this controller harness go to bother folding motors, how are we supposed to connect them to those pins? Run a wire from where on the driver mirror to Pin 9? and from where on the passenger mirror to Pin 10? Have you asked Mitaccessories where the red and white wires go? or do we need to shoot him an email and ask him?

5. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, I'd have to undo all the rewiring that the bodyshop guy did where he took all the wires out of the connector on the end of all the wires that came from the actual mirrors and swapped them into the oem connector? or just run a short piece of wire from each one of those pins over to the connector on the new harness we received with the kit (the connector that says "to car wire")? And how do we go about connecting the 2 power folding wires to pins 9 and 10? What do you mean by that?

6. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, I noticed that the link said it was a video, but I couldn't see any play button when I went to it. I just tried it again, though, and it magically appeared this time. I'll watch it a little later.

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [​IMG]

Yes, that is what I'm calling the controller connector. That connectors pin 1 is empty. The next pin is 2. Now pin 2 - 8 are tapped to the same corresponding pin # on the cars harness.

I'm not sure what ur body guy did but nothing should have been changed to the mirrors harness. The only thing different should be that there are some loose wires. I have the following wires coming from inside my mirror:

1) a grn & blue wire for the folding motor
    2) 3 wires for the signal & pilot light
    3) 2 wires for the puddle light

It's the grn & blue wire from the folding motor that go to pins 9 & 10.
    I have not asked Eddie to confirm where the red & wht wires go.

8. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Regarding what my bodyshop guy did: We put all that folding mirror motor stuff inside our mirrors, and all the wiring that is on it, which have a connector on the end of them. Then he fed all those wires through that tube that goes through the hole in our door. Those wires have a connector on the end of them. BUT, it's a different shape than the one that WAS there originally, so it won't plug into the connector that's in the car. *He didn't understand that we have this harness that we have to wire into all that stuff.* Well, he TOOK OFF the "wrong-shaped connector" on the end of those Wish wires and replaced it with the oem connector we originally had there. He was trying to get it where it'd plug back into the connector in the car like it did before, that way my mirrors would be operative/adjustable when I drove it back home. ++My mirrors adjust just fine now, on a brighter note!++ But now I don't know if that connector switcharoo that he did has screwed everything up regarding wiring in this harness..... Am I going to have to put that connector that he removed BACK ON again? The wires are matched to the wires in the car harness, so I'm hoping it won't matter any. Only difference now is the shape of the actual connector on the end of the wires. (It's not the shape of the connector, it's the .... SORRY, wrong saying!!!) The extra wires are taped to the side of the other wires for now, he said.

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh I get it. He replaced all the internals. All I did was add the motor for the folding. Either way.....ur fine. That connector that he replaced isn't available in the US, just Japan. The wish mirror had 7 wires (3 for mirror movement, 2 for signal & 2 for folding motor). What needs to be done is u can either get a 2 pin connector for the folding motor and have it near the OEM mirror connector or use butt connectors. Then just run those 2 leads (from each mirror & splice/tap into pins 9&10 on the controller harness. Does this make a little more sence?

10. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok, I'm just repeating/rephrasing for my own understanding here.... The folding motors inside both of the mirrors have 2 wires on each of them, right? They would be 2 of the "extra wires" he was talking about that he just taped to the side of the other wires (actually by the side of the oem connector of both mirrors, if I remember correctly). Now, about this 2 pin connector --- (just one 2 pin connector? or one of them for each mirror? or one for each of the 2 wires on the folding motors, for a total of 4?). (I'm naive to all this, so does "2 pin connector" mean that 2 pins plug into EACH side of it, for a "total" of 4 wires going into it from both sides? or does it mean that one wire plugs into the connector from each side, for a total of 2 wires going into it?) Then I'm really lost after that.

**[Sorry! This is the first time in my life I've ever read about, thought about, or talked about all this wiring stuff and all these wiring/modification terms! I would like to be able to finish this mirror thing on my own, though, as opposed to paying someone to come in that doesn't know anything about it at all... So thanks a TRILLION for taking the time to help! ....although we may both be bald before it's over! lol]**

Regarding those 2 wires from the folding motor inside each one of the mirrors ---- where do those 2 wires go on each side? What sticks into the 2 pin connector(s)? Or are the 2 pin connectors what you had in mind for me to extend those 2 wires on each one of the folding motors so that they can be run over to the harness? If so, (using the blue and green colors "hypothetically" to refer to the wires, since I don't know what color they are really) do I splice the blue from the passenger side into the blue on the drivers side, doing the same thing with the 2 green wires; and then Are those 2 wires on both of the folding motors what you are referring to when you say to "run those 2 leads"? I assume the 2 wires are each a different color (for example, one is blue, one is green)? So are you saying to extend the 2 wires on both mirrors' folding motors, running both sets of wires over to where they'll both connect to the harness we got with the kit? Splice the 2 blue together, and the 2 green together, then what gets stuck into pins 9 and 10 on the custom harness?

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Some install videos for your entertainment:

12. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wish they had one for the folding mirrors! :)

13. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will do a complete write up once I finalize My install. It will have several pics & a vid.

14. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    oh....so you're gonna do yours first.

15. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm gonna Try.....with work, My daughter & wife on bedtest its been kinda hard to find time

16. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    fo shizzle!

17. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yeah, that actually came out of my mouth! lol

18. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    have you already installed your signal mirors?

19. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome to life. Hang in there.

20. Steve Type-4

Steve Type-4 Trading HP for MPG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius setup sounds a lot like a typical pair of pre-2000 Honda power folding side mirrors. The newer Hondas don't have as separate control relay box/module (that's what it basically is), but the "relay" is built into the switch itself.

It appears like a pretty straight forward install and I've installed a handful of folding mirrors in Hondas myself, both with relay box and integrated switch, including my late RSX with heated mirrors.