1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by hawkmoon77, Jul 6, 2009.

?
  1. Yes - It is worth the $50 dollars plus labor for all of that edded convenience.

498 vote(s)
    83.8%
  2. No - I don't need another computer to turn on a switch for me when it gets dark.

96 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. Vitaliy

Vitaliy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It took about 10 days to get it.

2. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

There may be a spare live when in ready mode pin in the fuse box.

3. Vitaliy

Vitaliy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That problem was resolved about 4 years ago ;) But thank you for reminder, I forgot to mention I did get +12V from spare pin in the fuse box, the one above foot rest.

4. Vitaliy

Vitaliy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys, if somebody still wants to decrease sensitivity of light sensor try to put 2K or 3K resistor in paralel with photo element. Im pretty sure light sensors not exactly the same, so your milage may vary.
    But I just found that 2K resistor works on mine. It still turns lights on when I pull into my garage, but doesn't turn lights when I'm passing under freeway bridge, or shady street as it used to. Of course, there is some more testing to do, but I to excited not to share :)

5. xyes

xyes Hybrid Synergy Driver Malaysia

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, it sounds so complicated. I only sent mine to get the headlight turning knob modified by cutting the inner step stopper plastic to allow the extra switch. The ring with "AUTO" imprint was also replaced.
    No extra wiring or rewiring as there's already a light sensor next to the front speaker behind the MID.
    The headlights automatically turn on when UV light (I'm guessing) is low, automatically turn off the light after the driver's door is opened when the system is off.
    Auto Headlight Mod.jpeg

6. rchawla

rchawla New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Folks sorry for duplicate post but need some help asap... the car is sitting all disassembled and not sure if i should just undo it all... my project is in limbo, lights wont turn off and stay on all the time till i shut down the car.

if someone can help

i connect all the wires per the instructions but now have 2 issues
    1. the headlight is ON all the time does not seem to be working with the sensor
    2. the on/off switch has no effect on the whole thing

here are some pics

Pic 1 shows the violet and green from relay connected to the switch L47
    Pic 2 shows red+yellow going to the brown in my case to pin 2 and also violet going to the white in L48
    Pic 3 the unit and the relay
    Pic 4 the cut off in the loop between the relays

any Thoughts on what did i do wrong?

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

7. Vitaliy

Vitaliy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you cut red wire inside DEI module? 545T by default has headlights as DRL, to turn this feature off you need to cut red loop inside main CPU module.

8. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I love this switch... looks OEM. Just added a DEI 545T to my Prius C and I used a stepped bit on a drill press with an x-y vise. Thanks for the switch recommendation.

9. talkin73

talkin73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm trying to find the Canada stalk with fog lights part below by searching for the part number online. The only thing coming up are older model prius (2005 and 2007) and Lexus IS which don't sound right. Every search combination I'm using online is failing to produce the Canadian part so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone that has ordered this part share how they got ahold of it? Thanks in advance.

10. bcstuff

bcstuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Anybody have any luck performing this mod on a 2015 or possibly a 2014?
    I have a 2015 Toyota Prius Two and L7 pin 28 has a white wire coming out of it. I thought maybe it might be prewired for the auto headlights since the Four and Five come standard with this feature but when I tapped the L7 pin 28 wire and grounded, it didn't work.

Anyone else experience a prewired L7 pin 28?
    I wonder if the pins have changed for newer models?

11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Things changed on the 2012 + facelift.

12. bcstuff

bcstuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Sean,
    I must have read the thread 10 times but I only read the end of the thread one time. That is where people started having problems with getting the 2012+ models to work.
    Looks like the 545T is my only option if I want Auto On Headlights.

Thanks,
    Brian

sfv41901 likes this.
  13. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah Brian, so far to date nobody has been able to figure it out for the 2012+

14. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    @Yuber814 came over today to get a DEI 545t automatic headlight module installed into his 2013
    Prius 3.

Intsalling this in a 2012 - current Prius is similar to how @hawkmoon77 did it on a 2010-2011 except that the post facelift Prius has DRLs, the installation is slightly different. Its requires the use of both relays.

When using just the 1 relay on the headlight circuit with the light stalk on the DRL position, only the headlights are energized, not both headlights & parking lights. If the stalk is left in the off position then both the headlights & parking lights are energized. The down side of using just 1 relay is that u will never be able to use the DRLs.

So I utilized the 2nd relay to energize the the parking lights. This will allow u to keep the light stalk in DRL mode. There is a downside & a plus side to this.

The downside is that the light indicator on the dash won't light up letting u know the lights are on.

The plus side is now the DRLs stay on with the headlights.

The headlights also turn on with the use of the windshield wiper with this module.

Here are the wire connections I made for the module harness. All connectors on the Prius is located inbetween the steering column covers:

Violet (12v + wiper) - Locate the larger connector L48 under the wiper switch. Tap the wire in pin 4 of on this connector (see picture below of connector).

Yellow (12V+ ignition) - Locate the larger connector L48 under the wiper switch. Tap the wire in pin 2 of on this connector (see picture below of connector).

Black (12V - Ground Wire) - I connected this to the same ground i previously used when i installed the signal mirrors. There is a 10mm bolt just below the dash that is covered when the foot well cover is on.

Red (12V + Constant power) - in the driver footwell junction block is a black connector at the bottom of the block. In the black connector is a red wire. This is the constant 12v +. Tap this wire.

Lastly, i needed to connect the relays. Locate connector L47 under the light switch. Tap the wire in pin 12 & connect the blue & green wires from the relays. Now tap the wire in pin 18 & connect the brown from the relay. Now tap the wire in pin 20 & connect the violet wire from the relay.

If u have 2 diodes readlly available, then u can use just the 1 relay.

Taking the green wire from the relay, connect it to the tap on pin 12.

Take the anode end of the dioedes (the end without the strip) & connect it to the violet wire from the relay. Now take 1 cathode end (the end with the strip) & connect it to pin 18 & the other cathode end to pin 20.

Yuber814 placed the photo cell in the middle of the dash closest to the windshield.

I used 1 of the blanks for the bypass switch.

I failed to get any progress pics so hopefully Yuber814 can post some final pics but in the meantime, here is a quick vid:

1004141510_zps4th1doya.mp4 Video by sfv41901 | Photobucket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I know I'll probably be stoned and set afire, but:

Our Canadian model has the auto headlights, but I never turn the light stalk to that position: don't trust it, would rather have control over when the lights are off or on.

16. Ank

Ank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all, I posted another thread with the following question, but maybe I should have just responded on this thread instead. Copy-pasting below. Please chime in with any thoughts, ideas, knowhow..

Hi Folks, newbie here. I read through the long automatic headlights thread with a lot of interest but maybe I missed something, or maybe I just didn't quite get it, so at the risk of boring you all to death, here's my question. (I did find answers to pieces of these questions but I couldn't tell if all of the following requirements would work together)

I have a 2011 Prius Four with Solar Package (US) manufactured in March 2011.

1) Is it possible to Convert to a headlights stalk that supports Auto, DRL and Fog from Canada? From the thread the answer seems to be yes, but wanted to confirm

2) If the previous answer is yes, is it possible to add separate DRLs and Fog Lights to the car? Or will the headlights work at low power as DRL? Or what is the preferred approach?

3) And is it possible to make them work in conjunction? Basically, the light sensor controls the headlights and DRL in Auto mode such that in the daytime, Headlights are off, DRL on and vice versa at night (or dimming the headlights in the daytime to act as DRLs). Additionally, turning the foglight on turns the headlights on as well by default. Is there another preferred mode of operating/interaction between these three lights/modes?

4) Is it possible to ensure that following those mods, the green headlights indicator light on the dash turns on whenever the headlights is on - whether manually or automatically?

5) Is it also possible to wire it such that whenever the wipers are on any continual operating mode, headlights automatically turn on?

Addendum: I would also like to change out the horns - should that be done at the same time, or is that basically a completely different job?

And here's the kicker: All of the above work is totally beyond me. I can handle a lot of electrical/electronics stuff but don't have the abilities/confidence to do it in a car. Any recommendations of people who can help me with this? Either a garage, or members of this forum(I'd be happy to pay, of course)? I am in the Bay Area. Feel free to DM me, if you prefer.

Any guidance, thoughts, ideas, suggestions are welcome! The amount of information on this site is mindboggling and the work some of you have done on your cars is nothing short of inspiring.

Thanks,

Ank

17. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Ank,

I'll try to reply to ur pm either later tonight or 2morrow.

18. Ank

Ank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, Sean. Whenever you have a chance is great.

19. EzTravler

EzTravler New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    YOU can order the Canadian headlight switch from ROCKAUTO>COM
    AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S7146 or the us version AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S10736

#299 EzTravler, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  20. Danger

Danger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks EzTravler. Is any wiring up needed for the swap from US to CAN version for the auto headlights to work?