1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automatic Transmission Output Shaft Seal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Phemi, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Phemi

Phemi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our Prius is just about to hit the 150,000 milestone. We were given the car by my wife's parents a year or so ago and because my father in-law kept suggesting to check the VIN for a recall I did, and there was one ("Safety Recall C0T - 2004 to certain 2009 Model Year Prius Vehicles Steering Intermediate Extension Shaft"). I called up Toyota to confirm that this affected our car and they indicated that it did, so I thought, ok I'll take it in. And so I did take it in to my local Toyota dealership.

Of course, they offered to also do a "multipoint inspection," which sounds like a great idea. The results were all good, except, I was told, the transmission fluid needed to be changed. I thought, ok, $130? Let's do it. That was the plan and then I was called back two minutes later by the same mechanic manager who said, his mistake, the fluid was fine. He wasn't reading the results properly. The problem is that they discovered a leak. The "Automatic Transmission Output Shaft Seal" needs to be replaced. I thought, ok, what's that going to cost? $720. That, of course, sounded like quite an upsell. I asked if the car was safe to drive and he said yes and that it didn't need to be done right away but that we should "keep an eye on it." He also said that I wouldn't necessarily see any leak under the car because the fluid would drop onto other parts and would disperse and wouldn't be easy to see. Honestly, I am pretty sure he himself didn't even look at the car. He wasn't sure how long the car would last without this being done but he said generally for the long-term benefit to the car it needed to be done. I said, "I'll need to think about that" and went and picked up the car.

I've googled the part and it appears that OEM versions of the part run about $10. I think he mentioned that two seals needed to be replaced. So, assuming Toyota has a, ahem, healthy markup for parts, lets say these things cost $50 each. Is $600+ fair for labor?

It doesn't help that the guy that called me wasn't actually the mechanic that worked on the car but he was more of a front office "service manager" or something like that. There were several of these guys with cubicles facing out to the area where folks dropped off their cars for repair and there were, from what i could gather, teams of mechanics around back where the actual work was being done.

I'm kind of a "noob" when it comes to cars so any insight offered here would be greatly appreciated.

I came across a Consumer Reports article warning of these exact same kind of scenarios: you take your car in for a recall repair, they offer a "multipoint inspection" and wham, all of a sudden your perfectly running car needs hundreds if not thousands for dollars of repair. They make it sound as if some of these recalls are nothing more than unethical marketing schemes to push new car sales or expensive repairs.

I would have linked the consumer reports article but because my account on PriusChat is brand new the system doesn't allow that. You can google "consumer reports be wary of free inspection" and it's the top hit for me. The article is from Sept 2016.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The driver's side axle seal is the one that leaks most often, the cost to replace it at luscious garage in northern California is about $240. So that's the figure you would expect from a non dealer

If the seal leaks, you'll see it from under the car. It's pretty obvious.

#2 JC91006, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    SFO likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your about to get a walletectomy. Nothing special about the front end of a Prius not necessary to have any of that work done at a dealer at $140 an hour. Its classic cv joints.

Your a noob let me tell you how it works:

Take it to a tire store. Ask them to take a look at the front end. While the car is out there and up in the air and the guy underneath mosy out there and motion the guy over. Duke him $20 and say hey do me a favor the dealer said its leaking trans oil on one of the inner cv joint seals. Take a close look for me. For the $20 you just bought a new best friend you really need at that exact moment. You'll get the straight poop and if he works on your car will do a good job. Its like anything else in life it takes lubrication.