1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Automobile Club Slammin' my beloved Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hill, Sep 5, 2007.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny about the Matrix. A friend got one a while back because she's
    got two kids and thought it would be all kinds of roomy. No
    complaints, but that's what she decided on even though a Prius
    was also in the running.
    _H*

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KateBell1977 @ Sep 6 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]507987[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the Matrix is very similar to the Prius in size. Up front it's about the same. In the rear, the Matrix has less hip room, but much more cargo room. I know what you mean however about feeling cramped inside the Matrix. I bought one for my ex a couple of years ago and I felt almost claustrophobic inside. I think some of this has to do with the Matrix's high body sides.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Sep 6 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]508134[/snapback]</div>
    I think the Civic came in the 70's actually. I had the earlier version prior to the Civic, the coupe and the coupe 'Z'. Air cooled 2 cylinder. It was a '70 or 71. THAT's a small car.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Sep 6 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]507990[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Sep 6 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]508028[/snapback]</div>
    How does AAA provide peace of mind??? You get a flat, you call them and they send a tow truck. If you don't have AAA, you call a tow truck directly. Either way, it's the cell phone, not AAA, that allows the motorist to call for professional help rather than depend on "volunteers."

You can buy a membership an an "Arrogant, Anti-environmental, Archaic" auto club, or you can pay 1/5 as much for roadside coverage as a line item on your auto insurance. Either way, when you get a flat, you call for help on your cell phone. If you are out of cell phone range, AAA is worthless.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 6 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]508289[/snapback]</div>
    ok! ok! I'm checkin' with State Farm too.
    :D

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Sep 6 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]508274[/snapback]</div>
    You're right. It was the Corolla that arrived in 1968 and the Civic in 1972. Back then they were both 140 something inches long ... about the length of the current Mini. Loved the 1970's and 80's Civics. They were a lot more fun to drive than our Prius.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Sep 6 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]508321[/snapback]</div>
    I had an '89 Civic wagon. It was a great car, fun to drive, and handled sportily. It had plenty of cargo space. But it accelerated slowly. The Prius felt like a jet plane by comparison, when I first got it.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 7 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]508526[/snapback]</div>
    That's right. Your '89 and my <strike>'85</strike> '87 Civic wagon accelerated slowly --- and that's putting it nicely. All economy cars accelerated slowly back then. But other than that, it was in many ways my favorite car. Only 158 inches long, but with that tall wagon design and all that glass, it was spacious and felt cavernous --- even for the rear seat passengers. And it even had the highest crash test ratings at the time. I liked those Civic wagons so much, that the other car I was considering buying when I bought the Prius, was the Honda Fit which sounds like a much improved successor to our Civic wagons: the Fit also measures 158 inches long, has more or less the same capacity as our Civic, has great crash test results, accelerates more quickly, and is supposed to handle great --- it beat out the Corvette and other sports cars and sports sedans in an auto magazine's slalom tests.

BTW, I still see your generation's Civic wagon on the streets often enough --- usually in blue, and sometimes the blue all wheel drive version.

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Took a look at my AAA membership last night and realized that it ended yesterday. So I decided to ditch it and joined BWC. The timing couldn't have been more serendipitous...

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Sep 7 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]508596[/snapback]</div>
    Arghh, checked my card & it's good 'till Nov. I noticed the AAA ad towards the bottom of this page, and clicked to look into a partial refund, and a comment page. Nothing. Oh well. Their web page is designed to make it tough to click back to prior pages, I noticed. What's up with that ... it it just for agrivation value ? :p

11. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The internal dimensions (head, leg, shoulder) of the 06 Prius are almost the same as the 06 Camry.

12. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 6 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]508289[/snapback]</div>
    It is peace of mind, since the membership rate is generally equal to (or less than) one basic tow, and that is usually to the closest shop. If you want it towed any further or to the place you want, then it usually gets expensive quickly. As well, their services also include changing a flat or bringing emergency gas (which would seem to be important for some around here! ;) ) and some other stuff. I am speaking in general of any auto-service plans, not AAA in particular.

In my case, I have the CAA ('Canadian') Gold plan, as it includes up to 200km of towing, which works for me since I have a long commute. I'd rather bring the car where I want to go, not the driver. I have not had to use it for my last two cars, but it is not a huge amount of money and I appreciate the 'peace of mind'. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course!
    Well, there are always public phones too...