1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Automotive 12v vs 48v Architecture ?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Polie

Polie New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ques
    Allot of golf cart moders use the prius power steering unit to add power steering to our lifted carts.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    48V is ...
    feeds the same curiosity that led to three Prius and two BMW i3-REx.

My career was fueled by my attraction to new technology: IBM mainframes; VAX/VMS; McIntosh; local area networking; tail site networks, and; wide area network monitoring.

Bob Wilson

Gokhan likes this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    @bdc101 I am a bit confused by your statement.

The subject of the thread is a look at using 48V vs 12V electrical systems in automotive circles.

Tesla is actually doing this. Why would Tesla not play a prominent role in the discussion?
    We have experts taking the system apart, investigating it, and sharing their findings.

Skepticism is good and healthy. Close mindedness isn’t.

sylvaing, austingreen and hill like this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suppose even the 12 volt Prius steering motors have plenty of grunt for steering a golf cart.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    48V makes a lot of sense with the greater draw of electrical power of modern cars, with electric water pumps, power steering, and AC.

The problem which tesla appears to be solving is getting legacy parts like headlights, ignition, and starter motor swapped over (well in teslas case there isn't a starter motor or ignition ;)) Its going to take over a decade to transition, but it is a move in the right direction. 48V is safety so that isn't a concern.

Innovation is good, even if auto industry started talking about this innovation decades ago. Its not reinventing the wheel, but could really drop costs in non plug in hybrids as parts get used across many platforms.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just a reminder that Tesla is vertically integrated. If they have no problem 'build it and take the profit' versus paying someone else a profit for less reliable delivery.

Bob Wilson

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting analysis of the 48 volt architecture and other parts of the ct by the tesla team:
    watch

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Development of 48V automotive systems started years ago. Increase in the number and power draw of electric accessories lead to the concern of the 12V grid not being able to supply power. Well, they improved the efficiency of radios and such so a 12V to 48V switch wasn't required back then.

Now, the majority of ICE cars will be hybridized in the future. Mostly mild systems, and those are 48V. Just making everything 48V simplifies things and reduces some parts. It also opens up the possible use of other electric components to improve efficiency and emissions. things like electric intake chargers and catalytic converter warmers.

drash likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interstate trucks have used 24V systems for a long, long time. Widespread adoption of 48V will save them a bunch of money too.

Bob Wilson

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    great, more stuff to break when the cat gets stolen

11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah we talked about this, 6 years ago, when @bwilson4web started a thread about the Bosch 48V battery.
    Bosch 48V battery | PriusChat
    I believe this wasn't the first since even before that GM wanted to introduce 48V mild hybrids to combat the popularity of the Prius.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think first BAS was 36V. Mild hybrid systems have reached a tipping point since then. A couple major automotive suppliers have their own 48V systems in addition to anything directly from an auto company. The costs had dropped to the point that they can be added to a car for under a $1000, and they are starting to become common in Europe and elsewhere fuel prices are higher. They'll follow the expansion of auto start/stop systems have taken, which seem to be on every new car here.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yeah - look how that worked out for gm. I was always amused seeing the Chrome molding words "hybrid" on the sides of those bygone hybrid versions.
    That said - our friends have a Subaru that does stop start & they've turned the feature off. They found it aggravating.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BAS was before its time. The potential good from mild hybrids to emissions and efficiency comes from mass adoption of the tech into the fleet, and BAS cost wasn't low enough for that. Toyota has been reducing the cost of their full hybrid system through the years, but current 48V mild ones are about half the cost of those now. Yes, they don't get the same improvement, but fuel costs and regulations will push them into every new ICE car relatively soon.
    Stop/start systems use the same old starter motor since they are since using just a 12V battery to power it. This means harsh restarts compared to what a hybrid provides. Some just can't stand it. I only notice it when the car restarts while stop cause the battery charge dropped too much. It is less jarring when the restart happens from foot removal from the brake. One of the start/stop systems in the Malibu had a second 12V to extend engine off periods and the wear on a single battery.

I do wish it was more like what some systems elsewhere can do. They'll shut off the engine during coasts instead of waiting until fully stopped.