1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autonomous driving developers say "maybe 2030"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, May 20, 2019.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Link for discussion - Design News article

Finally a little truth and sunshine.

I guess it's good news for companies like Cottrell Trailers and Grant Products. Their products are still needed for a little longer.

#1 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Mendel Leisk, iplug and fuzzy1 like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i never bought into it, and i doubt many did. like ev's and renewables, the biggest roadblock will be us, not technology

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have no doubt that it will eventually work, but I feel like the public evidence of progress has been pretty limited.

Another quote from the linked article that got my attention:

For the the point of discussion I'm curious about where this connects to the business of ride-sharing companies. We've just seen Lyft and Uber go public. I really don't get how they are going to be able to support themselves while paying drivers AND any kind of dividend to shareholders. Perhaps they had an idea that they would rapidly transition from paying drivers to paying shareholders?

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some things are just hard to do.

I remember when they (finally) launched the Falcon Heavy....at least 5 years later than originally soft-scheduled.
    Muck admitted that Musk went on to say that "the integration and structural challenges of combining three Falcon 9 cores were much more difficult than expected..." which is to say that it required a lot more effort than just bolting three falcons together and getting the 27 rocket engines to play nice together.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose once they eliminate the competition (taxi's) they will keep raising prices, idk.

or, it could be that the coming generations (my thirty somethings all use uber/lift) don't care about costs going up, and would never consider a taxi, even if it were cheaper.

as for ai, it's coming, i have no doubt. no one knows the timetable though. i think it is already more sophisticated than we realize due to secret testing.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have the feeling they don't view taxis as viable competitors. They've already significantly impacted the taxi business. Now it's about pitting rideshare against owning a car.

There are certainly places and situations where paying for 2-4 rides a day still costs less than keeping a car of your own.

bisco likes this.
  7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tractor trailers are going to be where they slay the first L5 dragons.
    It's one of the many things that are counter-intuitive about the technology, and it's where the biggest bucks can be made the fastest.

They don't call them 'limited access highways' for nothing. ;)
    Millennials getting their avocado toast delivered can be served by drone.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is where this thread needs to get bridged to that tangent on the $1000 EV reg fee thread.

Level 5 autonomous trucks are the perfect opportunity to reduce the weight of those trucks. Replace the one 40-ton truck with ten 4-ton trucks. Still not paying any drivers, roads last far longer and taxes don't have to be as high.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems very intuitive to me that the big trucks will get it first.

Passenger cars spend the great majority of their lifecycle just parked. Commercial trucks want to be more like commercial airplanes, always moving and earning revenue to pay off their mortgages. So these trucks will be willing and able to pay for these systems (and expensive LIDARs that I think are still necessary) long before they are cheap enough for most regular consumers to justify.

10. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    But I was promised a Johnny Cab back in the 80's!
    [​IMG]

On a serious note, we don't need to wait till a 100% self-driving car comes out before the technology becomes insanely useful. This article talks about the speed improvements from adding a few fully self-driving cars into the mix (0-10% of cars on the road), but I imagine a similar effect could be achieved with a higher percentage of 50% or 75% self-driving cars:

Watch just a few self-driving cars stop traffic jams | Science | AAAS

Here's a good video covering the topic too:

11. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah?
    Well....I was similarly "promised" a flying car back in the 60's....
    upload_2019-5-29_13-38-13.jpeg

What can I say?
    REAL life can be a little different....but REMEMBER.....we want humans to be autonomous, not just cars. ;)

12. LOL be careful of what you wish for, as for autonomous, I can see another use for a drone...

What to do when it's time to let the dog out to use the bathroom

In the year 2010:

[​IMG]

In the year 2030:

[​IMG]

Prius Maximus and noonm like this.