1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autonomous Nissan Leaf

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 30, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Full disclosure, we're supporters of Fully Charged:

We like the show but are not the least bit interested pure EVs.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have no need for 2 hybrids, but have no interest in autonomous vehicles.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Because . . . . . ? what ....
    a range of 300+miles doesn't cut the mustard? or
    their pre-existing/nationwide supercharge network 'only' refills (after 3 hours driving) its next 210 miles in 40 minutes ? for free, on existing/delivered cars? or,
    the possibility of free home charging via solar, to get you anywhere w/in a 150 mile radius & back is unappealing ?
    Whatever the reason . . . just curious
    I'd be hard-pressed to call Nissan's system autonomous. They say it's only run for 1,000 miles and that's most likely only on its predetermined course through the city. The (DOT) Department of Transportation requires multiples of Millions of miles before Tesla can upgrade to its next level of self driving functionality. PLUS, due to prior numbskull drivers completely ignoring the road as well as their surrounding conditions, all Tesla cars require drivers to keep applying a certain minimum amount of resistance against the steering wheel (at least every 15 seconds or less) or it will give loud beeps, & if ignored, the car will then turn off self driving & slow the car down. The option on a Tesla cost thousands. Why would someone pay for an expensive (if just to cover liability) option like self driving on a low range - Econo box ev .... Or is the Nissan version not going to be ready until years from now - when they finally get with the 200+ mile ev type programs.

Seems like it was at LEAST 1/2 yr ago that apple was bragging about self driving. With a lead like that? Makes one wonder where they went.

#3 hill, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps I can visit someday and give you a test ride with TSS-P. <GRINS>

"Never let perfect be the enemy of good enough."

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had mentioned no interest in pure EVs:
    EV_gas_010.jpg Driving to Stillwater, not enough charging stations to make the trip in a single day. However, truckstops are about every 30-50 miles, easily close enough to drive 700 miles in one day.

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same reason i wouldn't take one to florida. but my other driving would be fine with 200 miles ev.

7. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The future is a plug in Prius that gets 100 miles. With the Tesla 3 still in the vaporware stage, it would be a killer. I would gladly give up some more interior space....

hill likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    last I read, There are a few dozen test mules out on the road, so I don't know that that necessarily is tantamount to vaporware - which is something that never comes to pass. Every car Musk promised to get out has been built.

#8 hill, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Zythryn and bwilson4web like this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Bob you are in luck !
    and - yes - your route to Stillwater IS on practically the least populated areas for DC charge power. Even so - checking plugshare. Drives between

huntsville to memphis 216 miles
    then memphis to (just past bad area/memphis but memphis has superchargers) russleville - has 2 tesla 80amp AC tesla chargers
    then russleville to stillwater 269 (or stop in tulsa ... 200 miles - a bank of superchargers)

deepSouth.jpg

It's not that you WANT to pay for a used $45K for a used tesla -
    (completed listing)
    2013 Tesla Model S | eBay
    but if you DID ... you COULD make the drive. HIGH power AC & DC chargers mean that you'd need less than 3hrs charging on your route ... IF you had a Tesla.

That's 10hrs & 20 minutes driving with 3hrs to charge/eat/stretch/rest or whatever ...
    13hr trip ! Depart 6am & arrive 7:30ph ish. Sure beats our 19hr trips to Kalispell MT.
    on 2nd thought .... better not switch plugin's ... you'd never go back.
    You're the guy most famous for deliberately running the prius out of gas ... so I KNOW you don't mind a bit of adventure -
    ;)

#9 hill, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Me, yes, but "she who must be obeyed" not so much. <GRINS>

In the next 60 days, I plan to payoff the Prime; add the receiver hitch; retire, and; drive my wife and dogs to visit Mom in Coffeyville, KS, 637 miles away. In theory, just within full range of the Prius Prime but we will probably stop every 3-4 hours for biology breaks. Leave just after sunset, we'll be there around dawn. Take a nap and spend a week with Mom.

I would like to continue driving to Arizona to see two of my brothers. Then on to California to visit Aunt Jane. Up the coast to visit another brother (and stock up on Oregon wines) and then back via Glacier National Park before the ice is gone.

Bob Wilson

#10 bwilson4web, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    hill likes this.