1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Autopilot consensus

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jun 2, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source_1: Autopilot 2.0 (2.5) OFFICIAL THREAD | Tesla Owners Online
    Source_2: How much do you trust basic Autopilot? | Page 2 | Tesla Motors Club

Confidence Owners Motors
    1 1 - I'm comfortable with it and kids 59.6% 56.3%
    2 2 - Use it but expect surprises 27.2% 28.1%
    3 subtotal 86.8% 84.4%
    4 3 - I'm OK but not with kids 6.1% 6.3%
    5 4 - Didn't purchase it 5.3% 6.3%
    6 5 - Decided no to use it 1.8% 3.1%

• 4/5 use it with attentive confidence
    • 1/5 have very little or no confidence
    I'm in the confident group and use it every opportunity. There problem areas with poor lane markers, some curves, or when one lane becomes two or more. But that is why you remain attentive and deal with it.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it really more relaxing to have to continually monitor and think about it vs just driving?

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think so. A lot of the special cases can be spotted well in advance. So the ordinary steering to stay in the lane and constant distance following lead vehicle are quite relaxing. It is also safer if an unplanned distraction occurs in the cabin.

I had five, unplanned, micro-sleep events when we returned home from Coffeyville. Instead of wandering across the center line or off into the ditch, AutoPilot handled it perfectly and we arrived home safe and sound.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    DMC-5180 and padroo like this.
  4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Absolutely yes. You quickly learn where Autopilot is appropriate to use and where not.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was trying my sons lane keep assist on his new rav4h on the backroads around here.

about half the time it was perfect, and the rest i had to keep correcting the steering.

but it was constant vigilance

6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And yet we don't hear the media trashing Toyota for its LKA system. That's right, Toyota spends money in the media on advertising, Tesla doesn't.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If it was like the LKA in our Prius Prime Plus, I fully agree on the Toyota products. The Tesla 'auto steer' is substantially different . . . and better than what I had in the Prime.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Tesla version of LKA:

Bob Wilson

9. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New version TSS 2.0 has the new feature Lane trace Assist (LTA) it will keep the car centered in the lane. Prius has older version where the car will bounce from one line to the other like a drunk driver. RAV4, Corolla... has the new version.

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's kind of my feeling.
    But admittedly, I have the prejudice or really enjoying driving.

Plus, I wonder about this.
    These "partial" automatic systems, I think leave you in a penumbra. Which I actually think could be more dangerous. The risk, temptation, is to be lulled into a false sense of security believing the "assist" will work.

At least when I'm driving my car, I realize constantly I'm responsible for all the aspects of driving. I'm not tempted to think, it can drive itself.
    Brake in an emergency, or keep itself in the proper lane or warn when drifting.

That being said?
    Various systems of automated driving and driving assist, I think is just the future.
    I can win no logical argument against their evolution or adoption.

Someday I suspect all the skills of complete driving embraced today, and in recent history might seem as primitive as having to turn a hand crank to start the vehicle.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    History shows we'll have to agree to disagree about this:
    • Seat belts - "I don't want to be trapped in a fire or underwater." "I want to be thrown clear."
    • Parachutes - “It is the opinion of the board that the presence of such an apparatus might impair the fighting spirit of pilots and cause them to abandon machines which might otherwise be capable of returning to base for repair”.
    • Vaccines - '1998 study that suggested a possible link between gastrointestinal disease and the onset of behavioral disorders, including autism, in children following receipt of the measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine'
    Interesting, you are not alone. In discussing how AutoPilot prevented five micro-sleep triggered accidents:
    • TeslaOwners forum - thanks and follow-up questions
    • Insideev forum - a technical discussion of micro-sleep events and their pathology
    • Priuschat forum - I've probably been here too long but polite silence
    • TelsaMotors forum - YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON WHO SHOULD BE BANNED FROM DRIVING!
    Today it is popular to report in the loudest possible voice accidents when AutoPilot was (or might have been) turned on. So we are starting to see Tesla owners posting videos where AutoPilot prevent or mitigated an accident. It is not as "news worth" since no one bled or died. Don Henley sang it best in "Dirty Laundry:"

Bob Wilson

ps. Re-reading this post, I'm sure I've been hanging out here too long. At least I usually post in the right forums.

bisco likes this.
  12. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My car, a 12/18 build with EAP and FSD options, has NEVER exhibited this kind of LKA behavior, EVER! I use it daily on freeways, local collector streets, and on country roads. It tracks straight and true all the time. Some of the earlier cars from two years ago used to exhibit some "ping ponging", but the was corrected months ago with Over The Air software improvements. There is no indication of when this video was shot. Pure FUD.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do you fly?
    If you do, do you worry that the autopilot will lull the pilot into a false sense of security?

It could happen. Pilots have gotten into trouble because of it. They've also get into trouble without it. The evidence is that the latter is the more likely of the two.

With autopilot systems, the pilot doesn't need to focus constantly on keeping the plane on course. This reduces stress and fatigue, and more importantly, allows the pilot to focus more time to the airspace around them, communications, and the other aspects of flying. These driver assist systems can provide the same.

I understand the joy of driving. Driving along twisty country roads can be fun. Driving on long trips, or in traffic, is not. I want these systems in my next highway cruiser, because I can them letting me be more relaxed physically, which should make it easier to focus on everything going on outside the car.

Tyfly likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not a matter of worrying about autopilot, we all know it doesn't work perfectly. if it were fully autonomous, i wold have the seat back snoozing.
    it's a matter of sitting there with your hands on the wheel for hours on end, trying to maintain concentration when your not doing much.

i'm just asking. i would have to try it myself before coming to a conclusion.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    People have trouble doing this without even basic cruise control on. After some time driving, you can fall under the effect of highway hypnosis, even when your leg and arm muscles are physically engaged with driving the car. How would you feel about driving to Florida without cruise control?:)

Cruise control eased the physical burden of driving. Dynamic cruise and lane keeping ease if further. They, along with auto braking, reduce the chance a momentary distraction or inattentiveness turns into something bad, which does happen without them.

Fun fact, one of the first, modern cruise controls was called Auto-pilot.
    Cruise control - Wikipedia

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have had a couple cars without cruise in my youth. even then, my leg would start to ache. my dad drove us across country in '63 without it, i don't know how he did it.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I do worry, and so should you.
    There have been crashes, that when investigated revealed the Pilots were trusting too much in the autonomous equipment, and really did not know how to respond or "fly the plane" when suddenly they were in a situation where they had to.

Listen...EVERYBODY...I'm not against this evolution. It's inevitable.
    But I do enjoy driving, AND...I do think in many of the popular forms currently available, there is some risk in depending or relying too much, on what is NOT meant to replace vigilance or actual attention to driving.

I would say, go check out an now older commercial by Nissan, It's a commercial promoting their "Intelligent Mobility" system. It also is promoting Star Wars: The Last Jedi....so you can find it on youtube.

It's interesting to me, because it's a Father and young daughter, and the young daughter is in that "learning" stage of driving. She comes up on a imposing looking stretch of construction and looks worried and tense. The Father tells her to relax, and she turns on the "Intelligent Driving" system.

She suddenly looks more relieved, calmer, and there are shots of her actually letting go (semi) of the steering wheel, as " The System" helps guide her.

Nothing wrong with it. BUT....that's the difference.

When I was learning how to drive? I had to LEARN HOW TO DRIVE. That included learning how to handle Construction Zones, Narrow Streets, and all the harrowing aspects of driving that can develop. My Dad didn't just look at me and tell me to turn on the safety system.
    No vehicle at the time, had radar assisted braking, or lane assist.
    If your steering wheel moved by itself? You better call Stephen King because you're driving Christine.

I learned how to drive a stick shift, before I learned how to drive an automatic.

Does all this make me a better driver today?
    You can disagree...but I think it did.
    That doesn't mean I'm against brakes that can avoid an accident, and assist in emergency braking, or that I'm against any form of Lane Keep Assist.

So in short, if I'm flying in a big commercial plane? I hope the pilot is using every single bit of electronic, computer controlled equipment designed to get me, and the entire plane from point A to point B safely. BUT...I also would hope that the PILOT also knows how to fly a plane, and has experience and history actually FLYING a plane.

I don't think it's coincidence that Chesley Sullenberger the Pilot of Flight 1549 which he landed in the Hudson river, saving many lives, had decades, years, and countless hours of experience flying planes, starting when he was 16 years old.

Even today? I want the trained and prepared HUMAN in the cockpit.

#17 The Electric Me, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No one reasonable is saying these systems, in cars or planes, are a substitute for knowing how to operate them.

Yes, accidents have happened because of failure of some kind with the systems.

But they also happened long before the systems came along, and in the case of planes, the evidence is that they help reduce accidents overall.

A lot of things can lead to a car crashing. These systems are designed to mitigate to risks. A person can become complacent with them in place. They can also become complacent about talking on the phone, texting, drinking, putting on make up, shaving, reading the paper, or any of the numerous other things that have lead to a crash.

Learning to drive is a separate issue. Because of insurance discounts we had professional lessons in the land of NJ, in cars with a brake pedal on the passenger side for the instructor. People not being properly trained to drive is not the technologies' fault. Want people to be better trained, call for better training, and stricter limits on new drivers. We hand out driver's licenses too easily in the US.

19. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see this half automated systems like the driver is the instructor in driving school, always be alert. And in some way that is actually true, as Tesla neural network learns the more it's driven. I would just say it's a slow learner :D

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I suppose Tesla could add "Grand Theft Auto" to the list of games.

Bob Wilson