1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AutoWeek: 2004 Toyota Prius: Wrap-up

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by IsrAmeriPrius, Nov 7, 2005.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No offense but thats a pretty ignorant comment. The horsepower of a car is only as meaningful as its gearing and its power to weight ratio. Saying he's not an enthusiast because his vehicle doesn't have enough horsepower demonstrates the fact that you have absolutely no idea what an enthusiast is. The mere fact that he has modified his car to maximize its performance means hes an enthusiast. An enthusiast can also be someone who simply enjoys cars, is knowledgable about cars, and centers their attention to cars or the automotive industry. I'm an enthusiast and I've never owned a car over 250hp nor have I ever modified a car. Doesn't mean I'm not an enthusiast. Saying someone isn't an enthusiast because they haven't purchased a $50000 car or haven't had a car over 300hp can't possibly be an enthusiast is rediculous. As someone who knows many many people who purchase cars over $50k and over 300hp, most car enthusiasts don't have the means to do that, and most people that have the means to do that don't have the time to be a car enthusiast.

These automotive publications aregeared towards the very people we've been talking about.

As for the Honda Civic SI, its hardly a "stock" Civic, with only 197hp its an extremely quick little car.

This strikes me as a subject you don't know very much about. Maybe its best to avoid making gross generalizations when discussing such a subject, hm?

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh my God Yes!!!! That 190 hp Lotus Elise sucks nice person so bad it should be illegal to sell it. No self respecting 'enthusiast' would get caught dead in it.

And don't get me started on the 168 HP Mini Cooper S or the pathetic 178 hp MazdaSpeed Miata - DOGS, DOGS I TELL YOU!!!!

3. Old n Bold

Old n Bold New Member

My wife has a cousin who spends all of his time restoring old cars. He specializes in Fords as it eases his parts inventory. He took me through one of fhis warehouses. In there was about 12 beautifully restored cars from one of the earliest soft-top Ford pickups, a Model A, an Edsel, one of the first T-bird soft-tops, a Fairline muscle car and a 1928 Ford Indianapolis racer (which he has taken up to 100 mph) plus several others, all perfectly stock. Although I am sure none had 300 hp or more, he was definitely an enthusiast.

They were beautiful and I would trade my Prius for almost any one of them, because I couldn't easily replace any of them but I can always get a new Prius.

Sorry, just an observation. Take it for what its worth (probably nothing). Back to the football game.

4. wilco

wilco New Member

Yes, exactly!

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Those are chick cars. Am I correct to assume that you are female?

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    GO SEAHAWKS!!

oops...off topic... sorry but i blame it on too many commercials

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure I follow your logic.

I rant against Factory-Tuner cars that you somehow have decided are 'chick cars', and you think that makes me female? Wouldn't the opposite hold true?

But, at any rate, the fact that you think in those terms indicates to me that you likely mis-spelled the "P-word" in front of your Envy, eh?

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then the Integra Type R isn't an enthusiast's car cause it only has 195hp. Ditto the Focus ST, Focus RS, Corolla XRS. Oh wait, the GTI is right? cause it has 3 more hp <gasp>

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

MotorTrend has been doing an occassional update on the 2004 Prius. Been going on for well over a year now, I believe. Last one I saw was beginning of summer, they seemed to remain pleased with it. Wonder if they have done recently, would be about time for an update....

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No reason to be a jerk and try and start some kind of flamewar just because you know you have no idea what you're talking about.

Post forwarded to mods.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thread moved to FHOP due to major topic drift.

Also guys, keep it civil, or the thread be deleted completely.

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius