1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aux battery charge and OBD2 related

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by gittarpikk, Apr 22, 2019.

1. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    History

Ok... have rebuilt the main traction batt many times and the last repair was just a couple modules, the computer got and stayed quite happy now for maybe 6-9 months.

When Wallyworld overfilled the oil when I first rebuilt the battery many years ago, and ran the main down with maybe 20 attempts (as well as completely killing the aux battery) The main sustained great damage and many rebuilds were needed as groups of modules died over the years and had to be replaced. Bob Wilson came to my rescue and brought me his old pack and it got me by which I greatly appreciate. The last build was holding well...and may very well be still holding...but...

I now have no win XP computer (TechStream) to scan it with as it was killed when the AC drain hose came loose flooding the floorboard that the laptop and the mini-VCI cable resided.

Now my new problems as well as comments/discoveries....

I have replaced the ABS pump and that worked well..
    When WallyWorld did what they did, I replaced the aux battery with a U1R-7 WallyWorld lawnmower battery which worked well although I've had to replace it several times as they only last in the Prius maybe a year at the most.

As these batteries get weak, I notice the Power Steering would chatter if the steering wheel were turned sharply in a hard low-speed turn. This is something that shows this model/year to be voltage or current sensitive. Replacing the battery typically fixed it.

Lately, I was getting the chatters again which indicated to me the battery is again getting weak. (6 mo) . I got a main traction alarm about a week ago and it went away.

Today, I get numerous chatters and the AC light starts flashing, and the main screen went grey and flickers so I shut down the AC, roll the windows down and turn off the fan. I could actually nurse it around but I turned on the AC and it killed the ICE. I took that as an aux battery low voltage so I shut down the AC , and fan
    then left my route, nursing it back home (30 miles away) but the ICE stalled and screen went grey twice in traffic. Got home, swapped the aux with another fully charged (previously used in the car before) battery and all was well.
    headed back to the route , (30 miles away) and it started acting up again so I finished the route with no fan and no AC.

Now here are my thoughts and info I need,

I feel that the reason these batteries probably don't last long is whatever charges the aux battery could be damaged producing a lower voltage than it should in the very beginning and may be getting worse to the point even a brand new off the shelf battery won't charge correctly (I bought a brand new one this eve at WallyWorld and it still acted up) . I did notice for the first time ever the little battery icon came on on the dash , but went out several times , staying out , but then invariably returning.
    I feel the Main battery alarm may be related to the aux battery icon alarm I got and not actually related to the main traction battery having a problem ....but.

I cannot scan the vehicle now as the floorboard pool took out my laptop and Mini VCI cord. so I need to know if there is a cheap scanner like a BlueTooth with UBD2 plug module I can get to scan to see what codes its throwing.

The System I had before worked perfect and I could read, troubleshoot, verify and erase anything I wanted but not sure if I can even find a win XP laptop and/or Mini VCI again.,

So I need suggestions on a scanner and suggestions on what may be the problem in the aux battery charging circuit.

Several great people on here have helped me before, and I greatly appreciate it, just need a bit more as I still drive this car daily on my route.

#1 gittarpikk, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use this link to help pick a decent OBD2 blue tooth / wifi device : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Then either the Dr. Prius app (gen1 only partially supported), or see if Hybrid Assistant supports your gen1.

Once again a windows device with techstream may be the best bet.