1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aux battery source in Canada?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DS Justice, Jun 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DS Justice

DS Justice Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking for a 12V aux battery for my 2010. Difficulty: Canada. The amazon.ca price on the Optima DS46B24R is $305. That seems a bit high -- and they're out of stock in any case.

If you've had luck sourcing the Optima from a local parts store, how much did you pay? Alternately, have you used the Motomaster AGM?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think someone used canadian tire? not positive.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like it's falling out of favour on Amazon. When I was shopping the actual seller on Amazon.ca was SaskBattery. I ended up going with them, shipping was free, AND they only charged GST (5 or 6 %, no PST.

OPTIMA 8171-767 YELLOW TOP POST GR#51JIS $254.99 FREE SHIPPING SASKBATTERY.COM

Still yeah, I have my sights on Motomaster, next time, if it happens, I believe it's specs are more aligned with the OEM Yuasa battery:

MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM Automotive Batteries | Canadian Tire

They might have a sale sometime. Another price reduction option is to cash in some credit car points for a gift card.

Take a look in the "part information" link, here's a snapshot:

upload_2018-6-9_11-39-36.png

I see also, in the MSDS, it seems to indicate EastPenn as "distributor"? Rooting around on their site, it's maybe a rebadged "Intimidator", I like the sound of that, lol. On this page:

East Penn Canada |  AGM Batteries

Go to Applications>Automotive>Automotive Look Up

Then fill in the car info. It'll get you to a single search result, specific for 2010 Prius battery, and clicking the part number pops up a multi-tab information window. Lot's of info in that pop up.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    DS Justice likes this.
  4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I used the Canadian Tire "Ultra AGM". Got mine during or at the end of a sale, for $170. Got a $50 "gift certificate", and $20 back when I returned the "dead battery" (the original). I hesitate saying it, but it's still working fine after two years. Oh, and it comes with a 5 year warranty, whereas the dealer one is 6 months or perhaps a year. I think it's pro-rated but still better than a kick in the pants, which it basically what you get at the dealer. ;)

DS Justice and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. DS Justice

DS Justice Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome, thanks. I hesitate to buy CT batteries, but hearing that it's at least worked for *somebody* helps a lot.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We put a CT battery in our son's Civic, December 2015. It looks physically identical (apart from the decals) and has been champion so far. It's just a regular battery, same as original.

7. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. DS Justice

DS Justice Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model: