1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AUX function on stereo is not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by AZ08priusguy, Apr 17, 2014.

1. AZ08priusguy

AZ08priusguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, newcomer here. I just bought an 2008 Prius and I cannot for the life of me get the AUX function to work on my stereo. I have my iPhone plugged into the jack inside the center counsel, hit the DISC/AUX key and nothing. The cable between the iphone and jack is good, because I tried it on other devices and it works great. When I have a disc inserted into the stereo the DISC/AUX button works when switching from AM/FM radio to Disc and the cd plays. But when I have the cd removed from the stereo and hitting the DISC/AUX switch it does nothing. What am I doing wrong??? Or is the stereo broken????
    Please help, thanks for your time

2. uccrev

uccrev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you have the iPhone on?

3. AZ08priusguy

AZ08priusguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi. Yes, I made sure my itunes was playing at the time.

4. AZ08priusguy

AZ08priusguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Get a flash drive with a mp3 and put it in the usb to test the aux. If the car plays the mp3, then it would be your wire going to your iPhone. I understand you need an oem Apple wire for this to work

SM-N900P ?

6. Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have the same problem on my 2007 Prius. It was working fine until my daughter reached into the console and nudged the plug. The radio went right to FM. At times I turned the car off and then unplugged and plugged back in and it worked until touched or the car goes over a bump. I believe it is a short hear the plug. The fix seems as if it would be quite troublesome

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The plug has a circuit to detect if there is anything plugged in to the aux socket. If it detects a plug in the jack, it sends a signal to the head unit which then allows selection of "AUX". When this is not working, you can't select AUX on the head unit. I suspect yours is on the verge of breaking permanently. Another option would be to find a working plug unit at a pick-a-part or wreckers and change it.

It is not too hard to fix this. Search this forum and the "Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications " only (by using the advanced search option) for aux plug fix (or something like that). If that doesn't turn up anything useful, search PriusChat using google.

#7 dolj, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What KIND of cable is it ?
    The AUX input is what might commonly be called a headphone jack.
    The USB connection has nothing to do with the AUX function.

Edit: OK, now I see the OP was 4 years ago. o_O

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Christopher's question is from today though. I think dolj is on the right track. There is a presence-detect circuit that uses the switching contact built into the jack. The problem description sounds like the head unit is not seeing an aux source present.

There's not very much to the jack. I'm not sure where it is on a Gen 2; in my Gen 3 it is in the bottom of the center console bin, and kind of tedious to get to, but otherwise pretty simple. And those 3.5mm stereo jacks with a presence contact are pretty much everywhere.

-Chap