1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AUX plu in console

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Roger3125, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Can someone tell me the purpose of the two outlet like holes in the console (other under dash)?

I thought perhaps you could plug in a 110 line but obviously I was wrong.

One says AUX and the other I'm not sure. Sure would appreaciate some help here

Thanks all

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Are you talking about the second power outlet? If so, it's only 12 volts.

The AUX is for connecting a portable sound system (MP3 player, Sirius, XM) to the stereo of the Prius.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It sounes like you're talking about the two in the center consol (between the seats)... The AUX is a standard audio plug, to be used with MP3 players and the like, while the other is a standard 12V outlet which can be used to power the devices, assuming you get the 12V power cord for them.

4. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 17 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]334223[/snapback]</div>
    When you say the above, does that mean if I plug in an MP3 player the sound will automatically come through the existing car speakers? Also can you give me some examples of what I would use the 12v outlet for.

Likewise the outlet under the dash

Thanks

5. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Oct 18 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]334478[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I have a portable XM radio. I would use a connecting cable (1/8" male to male, IIRC) to connect from the headphone jack to the AUX jack. Cycling through your audio options should bring the AUX up. If you have an iPod you can do the same, but there would be no controlling it on the MFD (you could control the volume, though). As I have a 2005 I don't have the AUX jack, but I have a DICE iPod Integration system, which has an AUX jack for me to use.

As for the power outlets, I use the one in the center for my portable XM player and use the one under the dash for my cell phone if it needs to be recharged.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Oct 18 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]334478[/snapback]</div>
    Not quite automatic... you have to select the AUX audio mode for the sound to come out. it's pretty simple though - there's an AUX button on the radio/dash, and the mode button on the steering wheel will cycle through FM, AM, CD, and AUX when pushed.

As for the 12V outlet, there are plenty of examples... For an iPod, a power cord like http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...plm=TJ471LL%2FA would work just fine, or a power cord for any electronic device that advertises itself as a "car charger" or "12V charger". They all pretty much look the same - a thick shaft with a metal point on the end and two metal contacts on the sides, with a cord running out the back and into your device.

Other typical items that may use power cords like this include: radar detectors, hand held GPS units, CD/tape/MP3 players, car refridgeration units (designed to provide a refridgerated compartment in the car) and many others.

7. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    One thing I wanted to add about power outlets is that when the Prius is turned off, they are off as well.

There is a mod that will make the power outlet under the dash hot all the time, but you must remember that the tiny auxiliary battery would be doing the powering, so if you left your cell phone connected to charge, you might not be able to start the car if it was too long.