1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aux Port Poor Audio Quality

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by happy_camper1010, Jun 20, 2017.

1. happy_camper1010

happy_camper1010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 Prius v Three (wagon) that I bought used in January. I just tried the aux port for the first time and noticed A LOT of interference/static and very poor audio quality, and the volume level was also low. For example, a comfortable volume level on Bluetooth will be about 15, and to get that same level on aux I have to turn it up to 35+.

I tried multiple sources -- an iPhone 7 and a Google Pixel phone. And also tried two different 3.5mm audio cables. One of the cables is a very short audio cable that came with my Chromecast Audio that works perfectly inside my house. So I'm pretty sure it's not a cable issue.

I tried different volume levels on the source devices (max, 90%, 50%). None helped with the audio quality. This is my first Prius and I don't know any one else that has one to test it out. Is this a common issue? Are there any workarounds or fixes? As it is now, I will typically use the Bluetooth connection that is not affected by poor audio quality issues. However, I like a direct connection better, as the Bluetooth sometimes won't connect right away and I have to mess around with settings, or if my wife is also in the car, it will get confused who's phone it should be connected to.

Thanks for any help!

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I find the source volume level to be low, in both Bluetooth and AUX cable use, but no interference or static. A loose or dirty connector, perhaps?

3. happy_camper1010

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Is there an easy way to check or replace that? Is there a good resource for instructions on how to take the dash apart?

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Surely available from a Toyota Tech subscription, but may be available here on the site from someone who has previously disassembled the lower console.

5. mysticeyes

mysticeyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked the stereo miniplug cable that you use? It may be defective or it may have developed a short. Another thing to check is whether the plug is loose where it goes into the media device. If it doesn't fit tightly, that will cause a loss of sound and/or lots of static and noise. I use an old smartphone as a music player that I connect to my home stereo and to the car's audio input. That phone has a thick aftermarket cover on it, thick enough to prevent some cable terminals from getting plugged in all the way. I looked for cables with smaller terminal ends (smaller in terms of overall diameter), and found some that were thin enough to work.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Were your devices plugged in (as in power/charge) at the same time? If so, electronic noise from the car's electrical system gets coupled straight through to the aux audio input.

Using an audio cable with a 'ground loop isolator' can correct that.

-Chap

7. happy_camper1010

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I tried it both with the phone plugged into the charger and without. When it was plugged in, it was definitely worse, but it was still bad when I unplugged the phone. Thanks for the tip though. I had never heard of a ground loop isolator!

8. happy_camper1010

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I tried multiple audio cables and they fit pretty snug in my phone. I tested the cables plugged into a bluetooth speaker without any of the interference noise. I'm afraid that the problem lies with something inside the dashboard. And I'm not really willing to take it all apart just to fix the AUX.