1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auxiliary 12v battery

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kevtan, Oct 1, 2014.

1. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone try normal maintenance free 12v battery on Prius c? Want to ask how long it can last ? Saw some battery which is sealed protected with Air hole vent to connect dispense hose ,our hybrid system don't required engine crank start normal battery with proper ventilate hose should be good to use ? What are the pros and cons if use this type of battery ? Thanks

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What's IN there is a "normal" AGM type, maintenance free battery.
    The abnormal parts are: the vent, the specific size, and for some models a unique type of post.

Some 3rd parties now have "exact" replacements for the various Prii models at a slightly less cost than Toyota.
    I personally wouldn't have a problem putting in one without the vent.......but that might not be wise.
    Otherwise, it's pretty much just a matter of making it fit.
    While your at it, a little higher capacity wouldn't hurt.......if possible.

How long it lasts depends on YOUR specific environment and usage patterns.
    If kept charged by driving frequently or with a small smart charger and it doesn't spend much time where it is extremely HOT, they can last for 7-8 years. Many make it over 5.

P.S. There are a LOT of existing discussions about the pro's and con's of various types of aux. 12V batteries on here already. Have you looked at them at all ??

3. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have check on it all about optima AGM battery nothing about non AGM with proper vent hose

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To follow up on easy rider's excellent post.

Because your 12 volt battery is in the passenger compartment with humans, you want an AGM battery so as little Sulfuric acid as possible sprays around the passenger compartment in a wreck that breaks open the 12 volt battery.
    Sulfuric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because your 12 volt battery is in the passenger compartment with humans, you want a vented 12 volt battery so that if it emits toxic, explosive Hydrogen gas, (as lead acid batteries do when over charged) outside the car instead of inside the passenger compartment where it can accumulate.
    Hydrogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because Toyota felt like using a 12 volt battery with JIS post rather than the more normal SAE posts, it is easiest to replace the stock 12 volt battery with a battery designed with JIS posts. Should you want to use an SAE battery Installation Kit for Optima battery in Prius

Aside from that, you want a 12 volt battery so that when the posts are close to you, Positive is on the left, and Negative is on the right, so they do not touch the metal of the car in normal use.

Many such 12 volt batteries exist for a Prius. I am not sure if they fit the c.
    Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 + , Prius V & Plug-in Prius with Instructions

Amazon.com: Exide Edge FP-AGM51JIS Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery: Automotive

Super Start Platinum PRIUS - Battery | O'Reilly Auto Parts

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Battery-NAPA-Legend-75-Month/_/R-NBE9851P_0396636574

and to be honest, your Toyota dealer has a replacement 12 volt battery with a 84 month warranty that is as good as any.

Robert Holt and kevtan like this.
  5. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    To be honest our Toyota here don't give 84month cover on battery . Oem battery n optima already exceed usd250 here. Exide no way we can get it here . Even optima also 12month warranty . And yes I already say I found some 12v with proper vent to divert the gas . If I ever get into accident the thing I less care is the 12v battery leak bcos of impact . If that so I think non will survive as the battery locate just under rear passanger seat

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    'here' is a nebulous term if you do not fill out your location in your profile. All the sites I gave were US, if that was not 'here', not filling out your location is just wasting people's time.

kevtan likes this.
  7. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks u very much for ur precios comment . Now I only realize priuschat is for US .

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it was, I would not have bothered to ask you to define 'here' now would I?

You control how good of help you get. both by the information you provide, and by your attitude. Choose wisely.

kevtan likes this.
  9. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just thank you very much

10. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You NEED a maintenance free battery of some kind for several reasons.
    That pretty much means Gel or AGM.

Did you mean to ask about using a non-maintenance free in your original question ?
    If so, don't do it. The acid fumes that leak out will corrode things and you will have to constantly check on the water level.

In addition, an AGM will last about twice as long as a conventional wet cell.
    Don't be penny wise and pound foolish here.
    This is NOT a good place to skimp.

11. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Nope it maintainece free and it have vent hole to attach the tiny hose for the gas to release .