1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Availability Date for 2012 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Maverick Hiker, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mentioned this in another post. But it was confirmed by Toyota Reps I talked with this weekend that the 2012 MY PRIUS will start at $23,500 model II base package. And it will be released sometime in December 2011.

Also it should be noted the backup camera does NOT seem to be a standard feature with the 2012 base model (reps also confirmed this). You will have to get a III for this.

cheers

2. web1b

web1b Active Member

I would think it will be a dealer option on the II if not standard. The new 6 inch display would be a waste for just radio controls. If you go to a III, navigation becomes mandatory for 2012. Looks like Prius II is the only 2012 Prius available without factory installed navigation.

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

this list needs to be banned from the internet :)

It is for fleet sales... Camry's are coming to dealers today and not in 2 months!

4. web1b

web1b Active Member

I have seen salespeople say a new model is not coming for several months even when that is not true so the person inquiring will just buy what they have in stock instead of waiting.

5. Maverick Hiker

Maverick Hiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So it may be sooner than February 2012 when I can buy a 2012 Prius, that chart was just for fleet sales? I wish there was a way to find out. I'm going to contact Car Max and Fitzgerald and see if they'll tell me.

I always like to get the latest model when I buy anything. , yet due to several factors I can't wait five long months until Feb. 2012 for my new Prius.

6. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Repeating my quote from earlier Mav... This HAS BEEN CONFIRMED by a Toyota Rep. So December 2011 is when it is scheduled to be available.

7. Maverick Hiker

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay thanks.

I contacted my dealer yesterday and he said they won't get 2012 Prius until "November at the earliest" so I suppose I should expect December.

That sure beats waiting until Feb. 2012.

8. TOG

TOG Silver Business Sponsor

Correct, the 2012 Prius are currently scheduled to be assigned to dealers on the mid November allocation, so they'll be hitting our lots by the first part of December. (Although some west coast dealers may even see them by the end of November.)

9. Maverick Hiker

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If what I hear about this "noisemaker" on all 2012 Prius (first page of this forum) turns out to be true, then the only advantage of the 2012's coming out is that it may enable me to get a good deal when I buy a 2011.

I was really looking forward to the quietness of a Prius and I won't have a screeching noise coming from my car. If there is an off switch fine, but if not I won't buy a 2012.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's true, those of us who drove the cars have said it's in there. We've also said it isn't all that big a deal and most likely within days people will find ways to shut it off even without there being a button/switch to do so.

But if it is a concern to you, which I have seen it is in different threads, I would definitely look at a 2011 and the possibility of saving some money buying one as a leftover.

11. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    from my understanding the "noise" feature was not put into the regular prius but only the plugin...

Am i wrong in this conclusion? Where does it state the noise feature addition in the regular 2012?

edit.

found source.. disregard. it will be in the regular 2012.

12. Megazine

Megazine New Member

How did you get this voucher? I'm in NY, is it possible to get one over here?

13. JRenee

JRenee New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :
    Update: didn't have to wait for 2012; took delivery of my new 2011 Toy 10/3/11!

14. Maverick Hiker

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a question about the pricing of the 2012 Prius.

The 2011 Prius has been selling for close to MSRP since the disaster in Japan earlier this year. Finally, last week, a local dealer lowered the price of the 2011's to invoice, which is a savings of over a thousand dollars for the model I am interested in.

Now when the 2012's come out, I wonder if they will also be posted at invoice, or will they automatically start at the higher MSRP price when they first hit the showroom floor, because of being an upgraded model? I am not familiar with how the market works in this regard. Are new year models always priced a lot higher than the prior years?

15. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Mav, its difficult to say what pricing will be at when they are released as a lot of factors come into play... Availability, demand being some of the bigger ones. Obviously, if a dealer has 20 Prii sitting on their lot they are going to be more inclined to give you a deal. I can almost guarantee that you will not find a 2012 for less then MSRP when it is first released. Maybe a few months down the road, after they start to become more available and all the 2011s are gone... maybe you will have more room to negotiate.

Just my two cents, as like you I am playing the wait game and atm more inclined to wait for the 2012.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  16. Maverick Hiker

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK Thanks Zanrock. I'm leaning towards a 2011. I can't wait several months after the 2012's come out, to wait for the price to drop from MSRP.

I don't think the 2012's are changing all that much except for the Entune system, which to me is overkill, somewhat more electonic info than I need. Oh yes they are adding the noisemaker too which I don't really want. Just my personal opinion, can see that others would like the changes in the 2012's and want to wait for the new models.

17. smclester

smclester New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just totalled my 2005 Prius, so I was VERY interested in the 2012 models, especialy the plug-in, so I talked to my local dealer here in NC yesterday (10/5/11). He tells me that the plug-in will be a limited 2012 release in maybe 12-14 states, and NOT in my state. Sorry I don't remember them all, but sure of CA and maybe Mass? Anyway, I am buying a 2011 soon, but for those interested in it, the general release of the plug in will not happen until 2013. The wagon probably very soon, maybe even end of this year. Not sure on the small one, as I was not interested in that one and did not discuss with the sales rep.

18. Zanrok

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The plugin is going to be released in the Spring of next year, most likely March. The 2012 regular will be released in December. And the V "wagon" will be released at the end of this month.

19. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Since you say that the Prius V will be released at the end of this month,shouldn´t it show up in the model line-up hybrids&ev´s at toyota.com by now ?

20. web1b

web1b Active Member

There is no reason they can't keep it off they website until it starts to become available or at least no more than a few days earlier.
    Why have people calling the dealership asking if they have it yet when there is no chance any dealership will have any?