1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Availability in Arizona

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by timdsd, Apr 7, 2012.

1. timdsd

timdsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A friend of mine who wants to buy a PiP in Arizona was told by a dealer (Larry Miller Toyota Peoria) that there will be no PiPs for sale on Arizona dealers' lots until 2013 because 2013 is when the Arizona launch takes place, so the only way to get one in 2012 is to order it. Why would Toyota let people in Arizona preorder PiPs and then make availability scarce for the rest of 2012? With the goal of 15,000 PiPs to sell in the US during 2012, won't there be enough cars for Toyota to put some on dealers' lots in Arizona?

2. hmcgregor

hmcgregor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's quite simple... Our stupid state legislature and Governor decided to pull Arizona from CARB.

This is why I have the 8 year warranty on the hybrid subsystem of our PiP instead of the full 10 year CARB warranty. Yes, their stupidity cost me warranty length.

Of course this happened in November, either at the same time or after the PiP order window. Toyota virtually had to honor the pre-orders, but they pulled all allocation from Arizona, as Arizona is no longer a CARB state which was most of the criteria for the "early" states for the launch in 2012.

If you REALLY want a PiP and did not pre-order, call Dianne Whitmire at Carson in California, and due to the Sales Tax issues, pay to have it shipped to Arizona.

-Harry

3. Kahuna69

Kahuna69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Tell your friend that 2 of us have gotten our PIP's down here in Tucson. Desert Toyota of Tucson. I've been driving mine for 3 weeks now. We both did the online ordering system. The dealer in Phoenix is clueless.

4. hmcgregor

hmcgregor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We Pre-Ordered online and purchased via Precision Toyota in Tucson.

I worked closely with the new car sales manager and the general sales manager on our deal.

While at Precision getting service on our 2007 Prius, I talked with the General Sales Manager, and he stated that all allocation in Arizona (that is PiP that were not pre-ordered online) had been withdrawn by Toyota due to Arizona dropping CARB.

So if you did not order online back in 2011, the only way to get a PiP in Arizona is to buy it from California, and there is a good chance due to the car pool stickers in California that the car will be over MSRP.

As I said in my post above, thank our idiotic state legislature and Governor Brewer. I was wrong about the date... Arizona dropped CARB in January 2012, which is why the pre-orders from November had to be honored. From why my dealer was saying, there will be about 60-65 PiP sold in Arizona this year.

Arizona drops CARB.

-Harry