1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Avalon infotainment/climate problems

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Isaac Zachary, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A while back my infotainment system in my 2013 Avalon Hybrid started giving me problems. First, over a year ago the bluetooth stopped working. I can't pair anything with the car anymore. Then I started using a USB stick to play MP3 files instead, but that stopped working too. Next, the map app won't let me input any addresses, which makes it pretty much useless (added to the fact it's out-of-date). And now the heater/AC seems like it won't automatically increase the blower above level 1, which is kind of a pain because the only "on" button is the Auto button and it should make the system regulate the blower automatically. At least for now I can still manually inrease or decrease the blower.

I need to mess with the AUTO heater/AC a bit more to make sure it's not just me. But yesterday it was hot and sunny, the car parked in the sun all morning and when I get in the super hot car and turn on the AC (set to 70°F) and drive quite a ways and still feel really hot, I check and notice the blower is still at level one. And on the way back home the same thing happened.

Anyhow, I don't know how to go about fixing this, but I'd like to learn. I've rebuilt engines and swapped out transmissions and stuff in the past, but this stuff is new to me. I don't want to have to take the car to the dealer every few years because the radio doesn't work. But where do I start troubleshooting? And how?

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You try rebooting it.

Toyota
    Instrument Cluster (2012-2019)
    • Press and hold down the buttons above the two scroll wheels for at least 10 seconds.
    How to Reboot Your Car's Infotainment System - Consumer Reports

"The car is an Avalon Hybrid Ltd, 2013, con Navigation. White with Camel leather.

Q: Bluetooth phone link is messed up. How do you reset it? A: Follow these steps:
    1. Remove the phone from the Car’s Bluetooth connections.
    2. Remove the Car from the phone’s Bluetooth connections.
    3. Press and hold the power button (Volume knob) until the Car’s Audio cycles power. Some call this a soft reset.
    4. Select “Setup”, select “General”, page down one page, select “Delete Personal Data”, select “delete”. (This deletes your saved images, phone book, radio presets, horoscope, bad juju, karma, who knows what else. Deal with it. Don’t come crying to me, you namby pamby little troll. I didn’t ask you to read this post. You’re an adult, act like one FFS.)
    5. Re-pair the phone with the car, deal with the questions about your contact list, move on with your life. (Does it sound like I’m running out of patience? Asking for a friend.)
    The Graphic Details, or “50 shades of Entune”:

Bluetooth phone connection worked fine for a year, until I tried to get the car to play an online radio station, then it got confused. After that mishap, the car would no longer get the audio signal from the phone. It would dial calls, and could receive calls, but no audio came through the system. Unusable. Not only unusable for my phone, but for the other phone that was paired with the car. First I did step 1, 2, 3 & 5, and that didn’t work. Even though I unpaired and repaired the phone, the problem she persisted.

I was told by Toyota that I would have to take it to the dealer to troubleshoot.

Then I found the “Delete Personal Data” button (which Toyota had told me to do, but didn’t know where I could find it.) I did that, and voila! It works again."

I might try this as I no longer get text messages on the car's system.

3. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks @Trollbait ! I did try your suggestion several times again today. I have tried these before and some others, but to no avail. Also the "hold all the buttons down for 10 seconds" didn't work. There was one where I even was able to get into the secret system menu and supposedly reset it from there, but that didn't work either. :(

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No idea if this would work, but something I would try.

Disconnect the starter battery, for at least 30min.
    During that time, try starting the car to de-energize any systems holding a charge. Hit the radio power button for good measure.
    Hook the battery back up.

I've heard about the de-energizing step for ensuring a fuel system is de-pressuried on an ICE car. I don't know if there is any risk of damage to a hybrid.

Otherwise, you'll need Toyota's software and an OBD plug to look at the software, and try a hard reset. Third party apps might have the same function, but am unfamiliar with them.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  6. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for all your support! I've tried all the suggestions that you've given me and that I can find on the web. I'm not sure if I want to take it to a dealer and have them fix it or not. I'm sure it's not going to be cheap. But I guess I won't know unless I ask. I have a recall letter that came in about the air bags, so maybe I'll see if they can fix the radio too when I take it in for that.

This infotainment problem really bothers me. Not that I can't listen to music, but it just seems like a part that shouldn't go wrong so soon, and be so hard to fix at the same time. It makes me want to cut out the infotainment center and put in a tape player and call it a day. Of course I won't actually do that. Right now I have a separate bluetooth receiver that plugs into the 3.5mm jack.

Sorry for ranting and raving. The car is the best car we've ever had. And not being able to use Bluetooth or a usb stick really isn't that big of a problem. But it's just frustrating.

7. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

Now the infotainment system is phatom-pressing the buttons. Things turn on or off at will. It's getting kind of irritating as each month it seems to get worse. I'm thinking of going to a dealer to have it fixed soon.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Are they functions related to steering wheel controls? Could just be a worn out clockspring cable.

9. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. There are no heating controls on the steering wheels, but the heater or A/C will come on without me touching them, and the temp and fan speed will change too without me touching them. And there aren't even any physical buttons for those.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Could it be a faulty temp sensor to the auto climate?

11. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, because it changes the settings. For an example, if the AC/heater is off it will turn on by itself.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Leave my Subaru's system in auto, and it will turn the heater or AC on depending on temperatures outside and inside.