1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Average age for a Prius Driver

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by A.Reyes, Jul 15, 2013.

1. revsto9k

revsto9k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm 28. 2nd hybrid, owned a first generation insight in spring 2011 but sold it after driving it to work twice because it was clearly not a car for me. Bought a civic si after and sold that too shortly. I then gave up and continued to drive my s2000 that I have had since I was 20 (keeping it forever). Recently picked up a car in Munich during Oktoberfest 2012.

I fly to pick up my Prius in the morning ..5am flight and then a 10 hour drive back. I hope the car is interesting!
    )

Robert Holt and WE0H like this.
  2. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hope your trip back is uneventful or even fun!
    We feel our Prius is the best video game in town, so I hope you enjoy yours.
    If you want to really understand the car and maximize its efficiency, there is an abundance of information available in these Priuschat forums.

3. Mellow Grey

Mellow Grey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bought a 2010 Prius III around my 22nd birthday in March (I believe before, so I was 21).

I'm always on the lookout for other Prii (or look-alikes and their differences) and to see what age people are. I think I've seen a couple of younger folk around here, but most seem to be older. There's also a red one on the way to work that seems to be owned by someone who's fairly upper middle class, if not higher, which I make an assumption that they're a bit older and established in life.

I wouldn't say it's an old-folks' car like a Buick or something like that, but it would seem that the uninformed prefer to not drive something like a Prius. I have a 10 year old cousin, and his similarly aged cousin is blatantly racist against Prii, saying that he wanted to throw things at it and slice the tires. This coming from someone who has barely been alive for a decade. Disappointing.

Robert Holt and JMD like this.
  4. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm 56 and driving our 2004 Prius. My wife is a little younger and drives our 2010 Prius.

5. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are youngest so far as I don't recall any Prius-owning teenagers. But my memory isn't what it used to be 'cause I'm one of those "used to drive a Buick" old folks!
    But exactly why does your 10-year old cousin-cousin hate Prii? Is that a common sentiment up there and he's just echoing it, or does he really have a reason , maybe like Commie-Pinko-tree-hugging liberals drive Prii? Just curious.
    In any case, I Hope he doesn't act out his desires, or his parents will have their hands full when he is a teenager!

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have had numerous teenagers here on PC, just not in this thread.

7. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only time I wave to another Prius is if they have my exact same car, ie. Black Gen III with sunroof.

8. 07priguy

07priguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im 24. I have found most people in my area are either 60+ or dumb blondes that drive about as fast as a snail. I race quite a bit so Im not your typical Pri driver, I just like to save fuel cost for when I buy my 110/115 race fuel :p

WE0H likes this.
  9. Mellow Grey

Mellow Grey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    He's what I consider a redneck (not to be offensive, but it's the simplest stereotype I can think of). They live up in the mountains of eastern-central PA, where it's all about hunting and, I do not know, Duck Dynasty? I really sound like a jerk, all condescending and stuff. They're good people, but it's probably the idea of the "Commie-Pink-tree-hugging liberals" that they've got ingrained. I think Freud said something about stuff like that. How people hate, almost more than anything, being pitied, or being seen as a lesser human. And when we go off spouting that we're better than them (I don't think I'm that smug, but I don't think anyone has done any actual research on anything like that), it instinctively kicks off some kind of "You think I'm worse than you! Well, I'll show you!" aspect.

Or, heck, who knows? Maybe someone in a Prius ran over his leg.

Robert Holt likes this.
  10. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Phew ! Boy am I glad I'm over 60 because I'd really hate to be a dumb blonde!
    (And DW might also object, not sure.)
    I used to race too, but it was the rat race and the rats finally won!
    So now I drive like a snail, but it's a fast racing snail and definitely NOT a slug!

Say, with that racing fuel octane you could increase the compression and really wring some horsepower out of those 1800 CC ! Combine that with Mike's mod for unlimited torque from the motor generators and we'd have those tires smoking for sure! Yeehaw!

11. sbmartino

sbmartino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I haven't read all the responses in this thread, but I'm chuckling to myself at the reference to the Prius Wave...my husband was asking me the other day if Prius drivers wave to each other like bikers do, LOL!

12. sbmartino

sbmartino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, and I suppose I could answer the question :p

I'm 31, and we just bought our Prius a little over a week ago. I needed the storage space for a double stroller (I now have 2 kids under 3...YIKES!), and never thought of the Prius until it came up in my search for a hatchback...as soon as I saw it I knew it was what I wanted! Hopefully it will also help the gas budget, my 03 Cadillac CTS wasn't exactly economical!

Robert Holt and ftl like this.
  13. Anomoly

Anomoly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All the following have Prius:
    I'm 30 .... Bro in law I convinced to get one 28.... Mother in law I convinced to get 50... Friend I convinced 35... Other friend I convinced 28

iPad using Tapatalk

14. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Think you will be ok kid-wise as our son and daughter-in-law have 3 children 3,6,8 and all with seats fit into back of a Prius. It was much more spacious inside than we would have guessed from the exterior. Also think it will help with gas bill as we switched a V-6 Saturn that got 25-30 mpg to the Prius getting 50-55 mpg for a net saving of about $100 a month. However , learning to drive it efficiently took several months and thousands of miles as I am an old dog and that is a new trick!
    Suggest you consider increasing tire pressures 4-5 pounds per square inch over the recommended pressures if you and children and DH can stand a somewhat harsher ride experience. Have fun!

sbmartino likes this.
  15. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota marketing division should interview you to see how you did that, or at least pay you a "finder's fee" or something for all those extra sales. When time for all of you to buy replacements, maybe consider a group purchase at a fleet rate?

Anomoly likes this.
  16. Anomoly

Anomoly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed!!
    When I like something I'm vocal about it... And sometimes I can be an influencer

WE0H likes this.
  17. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just bought my first Prius two weeks ago. I'm almost 29. :)

Robert Holt likes this.
  18. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome!
    Your Prius should be at least decently easy to park in DC as it's footprint is fairly small for the amount of interior room.
    Lots of interesting info in these discussion threads like effect of tire pressure on mpg, etc.
    I wish I was almost something, but as I have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, I'll just say I'm "not 70 yet but hope to make it!"

sosarahsays likes this.
  19. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you! So far, so good with parking, though I am debating getting a bumper bully since I park on the street and I can't bear to see my bumper get all dinged up by my neighbors. I've definitely been trolling through these threads a lot, especially the ones on mpg, tire pressure, and winter mpg loss. I'm considering increasing my tire pressure over the weekend to see what happens because so far I've only been able to get to 44.4mpg as my best. I hope you make it to 70, too! :)

20. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You should set this thread up with a poll to get age ranges.

WE0H likes this.