1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Average life of hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HH, Apr 8, 2005.

1. HH

HH New Member

My brother is impressed with my '05 Prius and is considering buying one. However, he has heard from a friend, who always has an opinion about everything, that the hybrid battery burns out within five years and must be replaced. I have assured him that the battery is reliable, and that it is warranted and will be replaced if it dies, but I wanted to get the comments of readers of this forum to support my biased and unsupported opinion. Any comments would be most helpful.

2. altaskier

altaskier New Member

Do a google search - there's a 2001 Prius taxi in Vancouver that went over 300,000 km just fine.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

None of the US prius have been out quite that long (but close!)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask your brother's friend to find any evidence at all of his claim. He won't.

There have been less than a handful of batteries replaced under warranty, ever. Toyota says the battery will last the life of the car. There have, in the 18 month life of the 2G Prius, been no battery issues reported here or on any of the Prius forums.

His claims are wrong and totally unsubstantiated. Advise him to hang out somewhere other than GM chatrooms! ;-)

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"79790)</div>
    Wonder how long the battery on the "hybrid" Silverado last? Maybe that is the source of confusion for the GM crowd? :lol:

6. starlightmica

starlightmica New Member

Battery life? As a likely future Prius owner, I would care more about battery upgrade capability as battery technology is moving along at a slow but steady clip.

Speaking of wear and tear, what's the expected duration of the Honda Civic Hybrid CVT? 100k-200k miles? That might be an issue for those of us who keep their cars for a decade or longer and a CVT belt replacement would cost an estimated few thousand for parts & labor.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Honda CVT should last the life of the car as well. That belt is made out of steel, and has no replacement interval.

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"79800)</div>
    Wonder how long the battery on the "hybrid" Silverado last? Maybe that is the source of confusion for the GM crowd? :lol:[/b][/quote]

Well, the hypebrid silverado has three 12 volt lead acid batteries similar to what you can find in a UPS, set up for 42 volts.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(starlightmica\";p=\"79812)</div>
    Yeah, I think that in several years from now, I'm going to be proud that my '04 battery is still working just fine but annoyed that five generations of battery improvements have passed me by. Batteries will get lighter, cheaper, and more robust long before our batteries NEED to be replaced.

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    HH,
    Since you live in California, in order for Toyota to have the Prius certified as PZEV, Toyota had up the warranty on the traction battery to 10 year/150,000 mile. So, if it dies in five years you get a new one!

See what the know it all “freind†says about that.

11. craigcush

craigcush Member

[QUOTE="Sufferin Is that only for Ca. registered cars or if you move to Ca. later it applies? I have not got an answer on this from dealers. They think the battery warranty is 50 state.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The traction battery warranty is 10 years/150,000 miles for cars sold and registered in states which follow California’s emission standards. All other states it’s 8 years/100,000 miles. I’m not sure about Canada or other countries. The Prius’ qualified for the very strict AT-PZEV rating in California emissions states.

Tough question about importing a Prius from another state into a California standards state. Beats me. All Prius emissions are identical no matter which state you made your purchase.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, in some sites listing emissions, there were TWO listings of the '04 Prius, suggesting that there is some difference with CA standard and national standard. What, I don't know, as there isn't a whole lot to do to lower emissions on this car.