1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Average mpg reading

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Andyprius1, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rebooted Prius Prime plus and cleaned 12 V battery contacts. Result: Instead of Average mpg dropping by 30 or 40 mpg over a tank of gas ( 150-85 ), now the changes are only 1/10 or 2/10 of average mpg. ( charge or discharge )
    I have not used a tank of gas yet. My average round trip is 40 miles, requiring additional charging at about
    30 miles. This is accomplished thru charging mode while driving.

#1 Andyprius1, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This was the mpg displayed on the dash display?

Why do you do this instead of just running the car in HV mode to get home, and charging from the wall when you get home?

How did you do this?

3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Q 1 Because the terrain I drive is quite hilly 1000 - 2000 ft. and even tho I have the engine on and charging it’s really using minimal gasoline downhill. I use brake downhill. If I ran it only in HV, I would be using more energy.
    Reboot is disconnecting+ or - on battery, I also clean terminals and use terminal cleaner.
    Yes, av. mpg on Dash

4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This part I don’t understand. If you are going downhill, shift to EV and go to B mode and recapture the energy as battery charge.

5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On that large downhill roll, I do not want to use gasoline, I never touch the gas pedal. After totally using all EV,
    I must recharge or use HV . After depletion the car enters HV, since the engine is now running, I may as well charge too ( uphill mode ) This gets me to the downhill section, thru careful use of brake, brake mode, Ev mode and Neutral I may have 10 miles of range at the bottom of the hill, enough to go uphill again in EV mode. and home. N is used for momentum. Look at topographical map with altitudes between Roseville, Ca and Cool, Ca. Everybody’s daily drive is unique.

6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm trying to understand your strategy, perhaps I can improve what I do in similar terrain.

You start in Cool, I assume. Do you start with a full EV charge, or are you able to start with a partial charge and finish the charge on your downhill section at the start of your drive?

Is your strategy this: if the ICE is running anyway, I might as well use it to charge the battery and use that for the uphill section at the end?

In your area, is it cheaper to run the car on HV or to run the car in EV with charge from the wall?

In my area, it is advantageous to use all the EV capacity on a trip, then recharge from the wall when I get home, even if I have to do some HV driving to get home.

7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As in para 4, I also use all my Ev charge. On the initial To: portion I also charge on the downhill portions where the car allows it.

8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Does the car not allow it because the battery is full? If so, perhaps if you charged to less than 100% at home, this would allow more room for recharge on the downhill (i.e. free power)?

9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The car is quite strict on that, it only allows charging when the battery is charged at about 75%, Don’t quote me on that, my experience only.

I always charge when I get home.

#9 Andyprius1, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
  10. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When you are in HV Charge mode, you can only charge the battery to 80% with the ICE. With regenerative braking, you can go right up to 100% (I've done this many times). If you have a significant downhill run at the start of your drive, experiment with charging the traction battery at home to about 80% (a bit of a pain, you have to guess when it will be at that level and unplug the charger), and then see if you can regenerate on the downhill. If you run out of battery room, then adjust downward at home.

I came into the mountains of NY on the way north to Niagara Falls with about 75% charge. Renegeration on downhills filled my battery to 97% by the time I hit Niagara Falls.

11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Edit doesn’t work, always full charge, always attempt to use all EV first, but charge on downhills.

12. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have often tried charging when at 12-15, uphill in preparation, instead of helping the car loses about a mile and is slow to regain to that initial charge level.

#12 Andyprius1, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
  13. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Keep in mind our cars are different, you have a prime and a 2018. I believe all cars are different, especially so with EVs / HVs .... one nut a little looser, one plug in ECM, a bit crooked, etc. Years ago I bought a new
    VW Dasher and.........ALL the Injectors were not seated ! I discovered this when car would suddenly NOT start, while still in garage. I pulled one Injector and it came out, the all came out. It required extra effort to seat properly and the mechanic didn’t know this.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my car has a loose nut behind the steering wheel

15. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Not to beat a dead horse, but you seem convinced that there is something wrong with your car, perhaps related to loose battery terminals or the like. Our cars are the same model, with no drivetrain changes between the years. I would be interested in seeing the details of this round trip commute, then I can tell you if my car has performed similarly on similar conditions.

I have not used Neutral while driving. What benefit does this provide?

16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    momentum, downhill, no energy useage in N, including gasoline.

Bisco, you have been complaining about that problem for years. Don’t feel bad, Me too!

#16 Andyprius1, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2019
    bisco likes this.