1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Avoid Blowing Speakers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TOY0TA FAN, Sep 6, 2016.

1. TOY0TA FAN

TOY0TA FAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I currently have the stock JBL NAV sound system in my 08 Prius. I enjoy the sound as it is and am very happy with it. Maybe its because i have yet to hear higher end/aftermarket systems. Currently if i play music via aux cord the bass on the stock speakers (around 20-25) it is enough to where i can feel it and it even shakes the rear view mirror. So i'm happy with it as is. My question is how do I prevent the speakers from destroying themselves? I'm not sure if i am harming the speakers at all but I don't want to risk it. If i crank it up to 30 they give a good boom and I can really fell it but i am worried i might break something. If I am hurting the speakers i don't mind buying a subwoofer, i'm sure its not that hard to install. I just like everything stock but don't want to break it. So is what im doing a bad thing to my current speakers?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't think your gonna blow the speakers at 25 or 30, unless you hear distortion because whatever you have plugged into your aux port is cranked all the way up. if you hear distortion, that's "clipping". it essentially is sending a square wave to the speakers and that will damage a speaker even at lower power than what the speaker can handle. as long as it isn't distorting, the speakers should be able to handle it.

valde3 likes this.
  3. TOY0TA FAN

TOY0TA FAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah i have my iphone turned up one below full. I don't hear any distortion when the bass hits. The voice sounds the same when the bass hits it just gives a really loud thud/boom and i can hear the speaker vibrate in the door or something similar. I'm fine with all that I was just worried i was doing damage to them. Thanks!

4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As stated, the main thing to avoid is distortion. If you hear any distortion, that indicates that either the speaker is being over-driven (i.e. getting too much power sent to it. This is unlikely to cause damage if only for short period), or the amplifier is being over-driven and is clipping (much more likely to cause speaker damage).

One reason why it's much easier to blow car speakers than home stereo speakers for example, is that car speakers are listened to with 70db or more of background noise (e.g. cruising on the interstate at 70mph), and that listeners often aren't focused or paying much attention to the speakers. Both of these things can mask distortion during playback.

For this reason it's best to learn your stereo's limit before you get on the road. Park your car in a quiet place (best is in a closed garage). Play a loud sounding, bass heavy track that doesn't have built in distortion (i.e. no heavy metal, dubstep, hard rock, etc.). Turn up your phone/ipod/whatever volume to maximum. Then starting from a low volume slowly turn up the volume on your stereo and listen closely until you just start to hear the first bits of distortion, then turn it down again until the distortion completely disappears. When the distortion completely disappears, this is the maximum volume setting you should listen to your music at. Note that if you change any EQ settings or use a different device, you'd need to repeat these steps. Usually this point is much louder than your average listener wants; On my non-JBL Prius this point was at least in the 40's for volume (I can't test now to compare however as I have an aftermarket CD deck in there now).

Also be aware that your speakers are close to 10 years old, and the speakers in the Prius are basically just made of paper and glue (even the JBLs). Therefore they will deteriorate over time. It's possible for the surrounds to give out purely from age, without receiving any abuse.

valde3 likes this.