1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Avoid Lowes gas water heaters (Whirlpool by American Water Heaters)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Celtic Blue, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In summer the only gas use I have is hot water as well. This summer it has averaged about 12 ccf/month (once I account for vacation, less if I don't factor that in.) I expect to knock that down another 2 ccf/month when my new showerhead arrives. Nearly all of the summer bill is customer fee, gas cost me $5 last month (9 ccf) but the bill was $33.

My winter peak was 230 ccf in January. Rates were higher then so with taxes and that customer fee, I was nipped for $260. I'm hoping that the new showerheads, front loader, condensing furnace, and continuing insulation/tightening projects will get me down under 175 ccf as a peak for next winter.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good to hear. I guess this means that, plumbing wise, you're back in business

Yes, just as confusing/complicated up here with the gas bill. Reminds me of trying to figure out an electricity bill in Ontario (Transmission loss factor, distribution charge, debt retirement charge, etc etc etc)

During our cold weather last winter, the peak gas use for the month of January was 23,780 cu ft. With various charges and fees (Eg "supplemental" gas, what the hell is "supplemental" gas?), and taxes in, $353

As is typical for summer, to run just the gas hot water tank, around 2,200 cu ft. Of course, the gas hot water tank has a pilot too. Cost, taxes in, of $42

3. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I figure my current pilot & standby use as about 3-4 ccf/month based on before/after vacation readings. The pilot is inefficient, but not all wasted since some percent of its output goes to keeping the tank warm. Better would be to have pilot off and flue closed...but hey, I'm just glad the pilot will stay lit right now. That open flue is going to result in some natural draft from the hot tank.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    IN hindsight, don't you wish you had just thrown a match to the house instead??

5. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nah, I've got too much stuff in there. I still like the house and it is getting better as I replace things.

I did consider hacksawing out the water heater and returning it to Lowes for some sort of store credit. If changing out the gas valve hadn't worked my back up plan was to load the tank in the back of my truck in an hour, followed by a trip to Home Depot for a GE (made by Rheem.)

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Uh oh, you've become attached to the house

You're doomed

Doomed I say

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Use a helicopter. When the tank comes crashing through the skylight it will get their attention.

Tom

9. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What a waste of fuel that would be. No, I think the approriate way would be to have a BYOB tailgate party at night in the parking lot, construct a trebuchet from their landscape/fence timbers, then use it to aim the water heater squarely for the "O" in Lowes.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, thank you. We can turn on the kitchen faucet full blast, and it all goes right down. First time I've seen that here. :)

It took me awhile to clean up the mess and put the cupboards back in order, though.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good plan. Count me in

I probably would have run amok if my house did that to me

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seriously considered running amok, or at least becoming violently unhinged, but experience tells me that only makes more mess. And inevitably, infinitely more chances to really fubar the simple, fifteen-minute job you set out to do, and probably could have done in ten if you hadn't smacked your head trying to find the damn tools and gotten all mad about the whole thing. Far better to avoid that escalating spiral of destruction and just not have emotions. :)

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've discovered if you become violently unhinged on a problem appliance, the neighbors will suddenly fear you.

14. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Argg...had an adventure in plumbing tonight. I got my new Roadrunner showerhead today and had purchased a Danco "Perfect Match" shower arm in the same finish to replace the old one. It's nothing more than a bent piece of pipe with a pretty finish and threads on the end. Hard to screw that up, right?

Well, the dipsticks running the factory in China (yes, it was made there) apparently can't be bothered to sharpen the thread cutters...EVER. The threads were cut shallow and nearly square--it looked like some sort of external rifling pattern with lands and grooves rather than pipe thread. It threaded on with some difficulty, but I could not get it water tight on either end after several tries and a lot of thread tape. Since I lack a thread cutter that large it was a no go.

The shower arm got pretty dinged up during all this, so I took it back as defective. I went to the rack at Home Depot to see if I could find just one that was properly cut. No joy, every friggin' one of the Danco's in every finish had the same defect. I told the fellows running plumbing and the adjacent remodeling helpdesk about it and suggested they ship the whole lot back as defective after labeling every one of them as such. (That's the only way you get it through to a supplier, make 'em pay.) So then I swung by Lowes hoping that they had a different lot or shipment because I knew they carried the same line (unfortunately.) Same defect. What an incredible waste of material and packaging. I don't even want to think about all the water damage that will occur through half-nice person installs where somebody neglects to check behind the cover plate for leaks.

The good news is that the old original one went back in with no problems at all, sealed on the first try on both ends. That verifies it's not the novice plumber at fault. I've got about two hours invested now in a simple 6" bent piece of pipe...and still don't have the one I want in there. Time for a heavy dark ale.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh Good Lord!

Just throw a match to the house and walk away, before you lose all grip on reality! Also, make sure to take up heavy drinking

But seriously, there is a reason why I hang onto the old, heavy, untrendy, but properly made plumbing fixtures: I like s*** that lasts, and that works properly the FIRST TIME

However, I do very much regret not stocking up on the old-fashioned gas hot water tanks. Every replacement tank now has that crap Flame Guard thing.

All because a handful of doofus homeowners stored several cans of gasoline right next to the hot water tank, and managed to blow themselves up.

Now all of us have to be inconvenienced by unreliable, finicky major appliances, due to a handful of doofusses who made the Darwin List