1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Avoid these plugin hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Feb 18, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    RCO, pilotgrrl, benagi and 2 others like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I guess it should be in news. It is off-topic here if Prime is not mentioned. :D

RCO and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wow, so trying to talk the other 99% of drivers to stop using fossile fuels and plug-in is black and white, no grey, got it, either buy a tesla or get something that get's 25-35mpg and call it a day, again, 99% take or miss a fraction, and, how many automotive companies have gazillions on the line, call me grey.

Prashanta, RCO, Trollbait and 2 others like this.
  4. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One wonders why, with billions in assets,, qualified Engineers and designers? why just offer compliance, when you can improve and prosper. Those ranges for the battery packs are sad. Take a Prius apart and then improve every item with special attention to weight. If many cannot make lighter vehicles maybe they should go out of business!

There are firms out there that think $ will pour in no matter what they do. Consumers can and will sink them.

#4 Andyprius1, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2018
    pilotgrrl and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    How'd that Volvo get in there with all those German cars?

Montgomery and jerrymildred like this.
  6. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What I get from this is: I had never heard of a plug-in hybrid before I learned about the Prime. Most of the people who buy these luxury but weeny plug-ins will realize "Wow, this is a good thing. Why can't they do better?". And they will do better.

RCO, priuscatprimeguy and Andyprius1 like this.
  7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    #7 Andyprius1, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2018
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aren't they owned by the Chinese now?

RCO likes this.
  9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep.
    Geely - Wikipedia

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree on the A3 E-tron, Cayenne e-hybrid and Volvo XC90 T8.

The first is that the packaging on the A3 is pretty good given the size of the battery. Yes 16 miles isn't a lot but considering the packaging of the car isn't compromised, that's a selling feature.

As for the Cayenne and XC90 T8, they're both heavy SUVs - Only the Outlander PHEV beats 20 miles. The XC90 is basically at the top of the current crop. Yes both the Cayenne and XC90 use it for performance but I've "heard" enough Cayenne e-hybrids around (yeah there's a number of them around my city) that it's actually pretty cool to here a silent Porsche go by.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked at the list and only read the 2 that I disagreed with - the i8 and the Cayenne. Author seems to know that he is on thin ground on including these two, and spells out part of the reason they shouldn't be. The prime, definitely doesn't belong on the list, but if it was done years ago the prius phv would have earned a place higher than the 2 I mentioned above.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was conflicted about where to post this but the absence of "Prius Prime" was my flag. I figured we didn't likely have many advocates for the other cars so let's keep it 'in the family.' I briefly thought about the PiP but then it wasn't an article about buying used cars. If we open up that crypt, no counting how many mummies walk out. BTW, I'm glad the BMW i3-REx missed the cut and throughly agree with including the other BMWs ... they lost their way.

Bob Wilson

RCO, pilotgrrl and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The i3s-REx and i3-REx made their top 6.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Were any of the cars on the list actually limited to sales in just California?

The author seems to have forgotten not every one buying car picks the most efficient or one with longest EV range. Power hybrids weren't really popular, but their plug in descendants are better on the road for all of us than the ICE only model that likely would have been purchased in their stead. I don't think the person buying the A3 E-tron would have gotten a Prius if they couldn't have a plug.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  15. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's funny that they are "warning" people not to buy the Audi, Mercedes, BMW 3/5/7/x5 plug-in hybrids.

As if it were even possible to buy them.

Go ahead, try it. You can't buy any of them. The only one that even has proof of existing outside California is the A3 e-tron, and the one I saw listed for sale actually wasn't for sale because it was being "worked on."

Andyprius1 and RCO like this.
  16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of our interested, I was browsing on my his car scheme for a BMW 320d SE. Not bad, came to just under £30,000 but if you put on the Prius-like safety systems it knocked a big hole out of £35k. They consider safety systems as extras secondary to prestige. Yet Euro laws will require all cars mus thave the features as standard when the next Euro NCAP standards are requirements.

bisco likes this.
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #17 hill, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure there are a couple of you guys could go in together and get one, like on a timeshare basis. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:xN

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got to say, this is the way of reducing gas consumption
    Cool looking car, but its an exotic not a great plug-in. I'm not sure if you are being sacrastic, but yes phev is the way to go for sports cars in the future.
    Compare Side-by-Side

The new king the Mercedes project one will be delivered soon, and makes that McClaren look sad. Project one is mercedes's answer to the porsche 918, which is a truly ground breaking car. Motor Trend took a 918 and a P1 to the track, and even though the P1 could accelerate faster at high speeds, the 918 beat it to 60 (2.2 seconds versus 2.6 seconds). The 918's electric motors on the front wheels makes a big difference. The 918 can accelerate out of curves and from low speeds faster than the P1. The P1 uses as much gas as a 911 turbo S in charge depletion mode. The 918 is a composed sports car, that can beat all the exotics at the track but maybe not the drag strip. The P1 is a race car exotic that isn't as nice to live with on the streets as the 918.

Project One - Mercedes's super car - goes the porsche 1 better in a lot of ways as does the tesla roadster. Porsche originally wanted to use a motor for each front wheel, but backed away. F1 rules changes and experience have Project One with a motor for each front wheel, one for the rear, and even one on the electric turbo charger that is more powerful than the mg2 on my prius. Porsche talked about using a race engine, but simply couldn't get it street legal, so instead put a very raceable normally aspirated 4.6L V8 in the car. Mercedes decided, screw it, people will pay, so put a detuned version of their F1 winning race engine in the car (McClaren is a Mercedes partner in F1). This is a 1.6L V6 redlining at 11,000 rpm instead of the F1's 15,000 because they need to meet emissions, and not rebuild the engine every 10,000 miles or so. It uses F1 lithium battery cells but uses 4x as many as the F1 is limited by rules. Extremely cool car, and if done right which it appears to be, should outgun the current champ - either the 918 or La Ferarri (only a 2.3 kwh battery).

The tesla roadster though promises 1.9 seconds to 60, which is likely faster and less expensive than the Project One, and lets face it, you can actually put a deposit on one unlike the sold our mercedes. My guess is fit and finish and handling will be better on project one, but ... you got to cheer for that tesla.

On topic of this list, the bmw i8 really IMHO looks as good as any of those cars and is much less expensive. IRL it probably is much better to drive than a P1, although its got a 3 banger that doesn't seem to go with the expensive carbon fiber of those other cars. Battery is growing to 11.7 kwh from current 7.1 kwh, which should increase range (prime is 8.8 kwh). IMHO they need to do another trick, replace the 1.5L 3 cylinder with a 1.6L-2.0L 4 cylinder with a twin scroll turbo charger plus an electric super charger. That will allow them to size the turbo better for efficiency, while increasing low end torque and acceleration where people want it, and give it a better engine note at the same time. I don't think the i8 deserves to be on the list, it really is an amazing car.

The i8's power train without the front electric motor has trickled down onto the 330e and 530e but not very well. PHEV range is really small for the battery packs. These cars deserve to be on the list, but perhaps a front motor, bigger pack, more efficient battery, electric super charger would improve them.
    Compare Side-by-Side

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota seems to be the only one offering it standard, though I have no issue when what others charge only brings the MSRP within range of the equivalent Toyota.

RCO likes this.