1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aw Rats! Headlight Wires Chewed up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DrBrian99, Aug 5, 2021.

1. DrBrian99

DrBrian99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few weeks ago my wife heard strange noises near my car. I opened the hood and saw evidence of nest building on top of the engine. I cleaned it out, sprinkled a combination of strong scents (cayenne & peppermint).

A few weeks later I noticed a headlight out - with long Summer days I can't remember the last time I drove at night I thought I had a blown headlight (which is so common I keep extras around). I replaced that first, and it was only after putting everything back together that I noticed the frayed and chewed wires.

I have an '06 with HID lights.
    4 wires were damaged, right where the wires meet the connector. The connectors involved are the 2 wires that power the Ballast, and the 2 wires that control High/Low beam.

There wasn't enough wire at the connector to splice and repair so I went to the junkyard yesterday and luckily of the 5 Prii to choose from, 1 had HID headlights (and the correct connectors).

(It was interesting to see which parts were "popular")

When I rewired everything, the headlight still doesn't work.

I have a voltmeter, but I'm not sure I'm using it properly.
    When I tested the power at the connector for the one that goes to the ballast, it shows around 4.5V when the headlights are turned on. The other connector only shows a voltage when the High/Low signal is received from the switch. I think I read elsewhere this is a mechanical switch in the lens? I hear something happen when I actuate the high/low switch.

Any help appreciated. Is there another important wire that could be cut/chewed?

Another electrical issue - unrelated: Both power sockets failed on the same car trip, I replaced both fuses, but they still do not work, could that be the socket?

I'm new to voltmeters, so would I check the power just before the socket?

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can you compare the voltage readings you get with the other side that has a working headlight?
    The headlight ballast should have 12-14V power with the lights turned on (measured red lead touching the connector terminal, black lead to clean metal on the body or engine- aka "ground"), it's fed from a dedicated fuse. The other wire (white-black) should be ground (0V).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

DrBrian99 likes this.
  3. DrBrian99

DrBrian99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I was on Summer Vacation and just returned, I'll check the voltage this weekend.