1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aw Rats! Rodents + 13 Error Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hermes, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hermes

hermes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey all,

The other night, I got the "Christmas tree" red triangle etc. while coming down the last mountain home. I opened the glove box to grab the Mini VCI and our resident Norwegian rats had stuffed the dashboard with chicken food. In the trunk, they'd chewed through the interior felt and backseat and also filled the 12v battery well with chicken food. I suspect there's damage, nests, and food stored everywhere they've been. The car seemed to drive fine and was getting average or better mileage.

Here's a list of codes (the car showed zero codes as of its last oil change, 11/27/2017):
    P3000
    POA84
    C1310
    P1151
    C2318
    C1256
    B1271
    B1442
    C2179
    B1421
    B1423
    C2124

I've found where the rats were entering (rear air vents) and stuffed the holes they chewed with industrial steel wool as a temporary measure to keep them from causing more damage while I fix these errors. Where should I start looking? My dominant hand is recovering from a torn thumb tendon, so the less disassembly I can do, the easier it'll be for me. The car doesn't have comprehensive coverage, and I don't have the money to have a dealership do repairs.

Car: 2008 Prius ("Hermes") w/ Smart Key. 150k miles, transmission replaced at 105k (by yours truly) due to failed MG2 motor, gauge cluster replaced at 135k miles by local dealership.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You really NEED to find the money to buy some "tamper resistant" bait stations and a supply of poison bait blocks to go in them.

AND.....if they got into your car that bad, they likely are in your house and other "buildings" too.
    Even if you haven't seen evidence in your living space, they likely are in the attic or crawl space.

Your clean up efforts likely will stir up some dust and other debris, which could carry rat germs. A filter mask and gloves is recommended......as is a good shower afterwards.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you intend to keep the car long term, and diy, i would get tech stream, and a toyota tech info subscription.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope it's just one or two places that are easy to reach and repair, but I fear the worst if they've been at it long enough to build a housing development and set up a home owners' association in your car. :(

I second what @Sam Spade said about checking the rest of your home and being careful.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. Ironclad

Ironclad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just found rat/ rodent droppings under the hood over the inverter and under it. My car was throwing P3012 and P3021 on the VCI so I took the HV battery apart and checked all 28 modules and 48 cells and got 8-7.9 volts under stress. I put the battery pack back together and drove the car for 1 mile then Triangle of death came back with an OBD2 code P3012 and alternates with P3021 and once I erase the code the car runs fine until the next time I restart. Any pointers? I checked the contacts and the cable and the harness and cleaned them just in case but still get the Red Triangle of Death.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    At the risk of starting yet another "crap slinging fest", have you checked the voltage of the 12 V aux. battery yet ??